Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Question for full time guides

Message Subject: Question for full time guides
Skate_or_Fish
Posted 11/12/2020 10:50 AM (#968869)
Subject: Question for full time guides

One might think that fishing every day would be a dream job, but i suspect that there are some things that make being a fishing guide difficult just like any career. I was hoping I could get some insight on some of the challenging aspects of being a full time guide with enphasis on just starting out. Intial investments, building customer base etc.. Obviously this being a muskie forum i am mainly interested in hearing about guiding for muskie, but as seasons change so do the target species right? So I'd like to hear about how you all navigate those changes as well. Thanks in advance!!
Skate_or_Fish
Posted 11/12/2020 11:00 AM (#968872 - in reply to #968869)
Subject: Re: Question for full time guides

Bonus question- what are the general tipping guidelines?
Ferrulewax
Posted 11/12/2020 4:04 PM (#968881 - in reply to #968872)

Just some things to think about:
1) Long days. Your day starts long before your trip and ends long afterwards. I would estimate about an hour and a half before and after the trip- even more if you are traveling much. This is time that the client doesn't see, and can quickly add up that you will not be payed for. Time washing the boat, fixing lures, spooling up rods, scouting, fixing the trailer, etc.
2) Investments/ book-keeping/ taxes- you'll have to find someone to file for you, or you'll have to do these yourself. Luckily much of your investment can be used for tax write-offs, but it is something to consider.
3) you'll want to speak with a lawyer about liability, insurance for the business, commercial insurance on your vessel, etc.
4) there is an expectation of success- I think sometimes this is more in the guides mind than actually by the customer, but there is definitely a pressure to perform.
5) you want nice gear, not the best, but nice. An engine that works every time, a trailer that can take thousands of miles a year, rods and reels that can take abuse- and show the client that you are serious. There is nothing worse than getting on a guides boat and being offered old or junky equipment. It just doesn't speak well of the guide.
Tips are usually about that of eating out, I would say 10-30% depending on the success of the trip, and how the experience is.

Lastly, there is a huge difference between being a fisherman and a guide. there are plenty of fisherman that can put fish in the boat, and that have the work ethic to be out there day in and day out. What makes a good guide is being entertaining. If I, as a client don't leave feeling like I got my money's worth- fish or no fish, then I won't be returning. Teach me something, entertain me, have a conversation. A good guide has to be a people person to some extent- not just a good fisherman.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/12/2020 4:42 PM (#968882 - in reply to #968881)

I've fished with some guides. One of my favorite conversation starters has always been "So... Tell me about some of your worst clients..."

I can't name names , but a few funny quotes come to mind:

"All I've been guiding the last week is ^$&*( dog and pony shows! I told this guy 50 times to do a figure 8 if I told him once and what does he do when the biggest fish I've seem all year comes screaming after his lure?! Takes the lure out of the water and says "hey look, there's one right there!!"

"Hey mister, those things are swimming away!!" Those things were the leeches they were using for bait. Kid knocked the carton in the water and just stood there until it was too late.

"Is it always like this?!" Disgruntled client after not catching a muskie by 10:00 am

Then there's watching your stuff get broken, tossed in the lake, lures lost to backlashes and snags, watching people blow it on fish that should have been caught, temper tantrums, egos, attitudes, and everything else that comes with getting paid to have your day ruined by someone who will not listen to anything you try to teach them.

sworrall
Posted 11/12/2020 7:40 PM (#968887 - in reply to #968869)

I really enjoyed guiding. Had a good client base, made decent money, and loved the time on the water. Wind was the enemy, wish I had the gear then I have now. Will be guiding multi-species again as soon as the vaccines are out and I can get one, probably 2021.

Get good insurance. Buy a big enough and reliable rig. Talk to your clients all day, have some stories ready for slow times, remember most of them have no clue what you are doing or why, so be a teacher. Get a website built, and get a good one. Use social media. A lot.
Bondy
Posted 11/13/2020 4:54 AM (#968894 - in reply to #968869)

Don’t be disheartened when your flyer at the local bait shop doesn’t make your phone blow up. You need a multifaceted, multi year approach to marketing. Also treat people with respect and don’t burn bridges to light the way for yourself or word will spread quick about the new guide who is a tool.

Edited by Bondy 11/13/2020 4:55 AM
mikie
Posted 11/13/2020 6:38 AM (#968895 - in reply to #968869)

I was fishing with a well-known muskie/striper/smallmouth guide once and asked him what was his worst client experience (hoping he wouldn't say the last time I was in his boat!). He said he only kicked one fellow out of his boat in all the years. The guy wasn't having a very good day and accused him of 'holding out his good spots'.
I guess if you're a guide you have to take those things seriously. m

ps - I'm told the best way to get a million dollars guiding muskies...is to start with two million dollars. m

Edited by mikie 11/13/2020 6:39 AM
bbeaupre
Posted 11/13/2020 9:34 AM (#968907 - in reply to #968869)
Subject: RE: Question for full time guides

I'm not a guide but Ive asked this of a guide on GB a bunch of years ago and he told an enjoyable story of how a a client, from a high end law firm was out with him running his mouth about how life is easy and only lazy people are poor. Mind you this was during the last recession, and told the guide "recession is nothing, it is only tough for the little, unnecessary careers like yours." He said he turned the boat around and let every wave crash over his side. He said the soaked lawyer looked at him when he got in and asked "you did this on purpose didn't you". He said he just smiled and walked away.
North of 8
Posted 11/13/2020 11:00 AM (#968911 - in reply to #968887)

sworrall - 11/12/2020 7:40 PM

I really enjoyed guiding. Had a good client base, made decent money, and loved the time on the water. Wind was the enemy, wish I had the gear then I have now. Will be guiding multi-species again as soon as the vaccines are out and I can get one, probably 2021.

Get good insurance. Buy a big enough and reliable rig. Talk to your clients all day, have some stories ready for slow times, remember most of them have no clue what you are doing or why, so be a teacher. Get a website built, and get a good one. Use social media. A lot.

Could be a great time to be a "teaching guide". Lot of first time license buyers this year and many will have had fun and want to learn more. And multi species will good too. Folks that don't get to fish much or are new to it don't want to pound the water all day for musky, they want the fun of actually catching something ;>).
Masqui-ninja
Posted 11/15/2020 12:23 AM (#968966 - in reply to #968869)

The sun and weather kicks your butt since you can't pick your days, especially that 4-letter W word (wind). You absolutely sleep well at night. Besides that, it's a dream job for sure!

It takes a few years to get rolling full-time. You need a way to make things pencil out...but availability is one of the most important things...so that's the real catch. When it rains it pours, and you'll need to be available, so having a regular side job doesn't always work. Like any other small business, you'll need to work harder than your competition to succeed.
OH Musky
Posted 11/15/2020 7:11 AM (#968968 - in reply to #968869)

Surprised that a captain's license requirement didn't come up. It's a USCG requirement depending on where you fish when operating a boat for hire. I remember when it was implemented in Florida and all the Okeechobee guides went ballistic. The Inter-Coastal waterway runs thru and around Okeechobee and fell into USCG jurisdiction. All guides had to acquire the captain's license or cease operations.

I'm sure many out guiding don't have one especially on small inland waters not patrolled by the USCG.
lifeisfun
Posted 11/15/2020 8:42 AM (#968972 - in reply to #968968)

From what I hear around here the excuse is " I'm just taking friend out for fishing" excuse.
North of 8
Posted 11/15/2020 10:09 AM (#968975 - in reply to #968972)

While attending a seminar, a guide was presenting and he said something that would cause him to take a client back to shore was if someone insisted on casting sidearm. He said both he and clients had been hooked by someone doing that. He would caution them, explain proper casting technique, but on the rare occasion where they persisted, he would cut the trip short. When I take inexperienced folks out now, I have them practice from the dock, always using good overhand technique.

Safety of all types, is a concern for guides I would guess.
jasonvkop
Posted 11/16/2020 12:06 PM (#969012 - in reply to #968968)

OH Musky - 11/15/2020 8:11 AM

Surprised that a captain's license requirement didn't come up. It's a USCG requirement depending on where you fish when operating a boat for hire. I remember when it was implemented in Florida and all the Okeechobee guides went ballistic. The Inter-Coastal waterway runs thru and around Okeechobee and fell into USCG jurisdiction. All guides had to acquire the captain's license or cease operations.

I'm sure many out guiding don't have one especially on small inland waters not patrolled by the USCG.

Usually USCG Captain's Licenses are only required on waters connecting to the great lakes, oceans, etc. If the guide is on inland waters then he or she needs a 'Pilot's License' (at least in Michigan). Obviously he or she still needs to pass boat inspections, file correct paperwork with the state, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)