Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian Resorts financial help

Message Subject: Canadian Resorts financial help
Mudpuppy
Posted 8/22/2020 7:34 PM (#965524)
Subject: Canadian Resorts financial help

Is there any program to help resort owners and outfitters waether this Covid storm?

Mudpuppy
North of 8
Posted 8/24/2020 12:05 PM (#965562 - in reply to #965524)
Subject: RE: Canadian Resorts financial help

Top H2O - 8/24/2020 11:47 AM

Perhaps ship AOC to Canada... I'm sure she could figure out a way to get free support from it's taxpayers ! ;)

Well, the PPP program came from the congress and the administration, one of the few bi partisan actions they have done. That has provided something like a Trillion dollars to keep USA business afloat. The bank I retired from, a mid-sized privately owned bank, did 600 PPP loans in less than two weeks to businesses. Something like that might keep the resorts from going under. The Republican Assembly leader in WI, Robin Voss, got over a $100,000 to keep his popcorn business going and his employees on payroll. Probably the biggest economic boosting spending bill since the great depression in the 1930s.
Bondy
Posted 8/24/2020 5:42 PM (#965575 - in reply to #965524)
Subject: Re: Canadian Resorts financial help

Business loans were given to those who qualify, of which 25% is forgivable. Plus a wage subsidy to those who kept employees on. Which I doubt would happen with no US customers. Sad situation all around.
dfkiii
Posted 8/24/2020 9:06 PM (#965583 - in reply to #965524)

jamesb - 8/24/2020 8:46 PM

I thought I was going to the Muskie first site .... looks like I got to Fox News instead.

Political commentary is typically discouraged, except when it isn't.
North of 8
Posted 8/24/2020 10:18 PM (#965588 - in reply to #965524)

The mom and pop resorts on the chain where I live have had very good summers, after seeing cancelations in the spring. Outdoor activities like kayaking, biking, etc. have all been booming here in northern WI. Does anyone know if the resorts in Canada that normally would have been hosting lots of folks from the USA have been able to get folks from within Canada looking to get out of the city and recreate? I am sure it would not make up the difference but seems like they should have gotten some business from that.
sworrall
Posted 8/24/2020 11:34 PM (#965592 - in reply to #965583)

dfkiii - 8/24/2020 9:06 PM

jamesb - 8/24/2020 8:46 PM

I thought I was going to the Muskie first site .... looks like I got to Fox News instead.

Political commentary is typically discouraged, except when it isn't.[/QUOTE

Allegedly, anyway.

I was really busy working with clients the last couple days and missed this one. Slamr is at Spring Bay.
sworrall
Posted 8/24/2020 11:37 PM (#965593 - in reply to #965588)

North of 8 - 8/24/2020 10:18 PM

The mom and pop resorts on the chain where I live have had very good summers, after seeing cancelations in the spring. Outdoor activities like kayaking, biking, etc. have all been booming here in northern WI. Does anyone know if the resorts in Canada that normally would have been hosting lots of folks from the USA have been able to get folks from within Canada looking to get out of the city and recreate? I am sure it would not make up the difference but seems like they should have gotten some business from that.

Very little in NW Ontario. It is not good right now for resorts up that way.
North of 8
Posted 8/25/2020 8:33 AM (#965596 - in reply to #965593)

sworrall - 8/24/2020 11:37 PM

North of 8 - 8/24/2020 10:18 PM

Very little in NW Ontario. It is not good right now for resorts up that way.

Sadly, I think one of the business news stories for 2021 will be the number of formerly thriving restaurants and destination resorts that will be for sale. Milwaukee expects 30 to 40% of restaurants to fail by next spring. Some are limping along with outside seating but come winter, that won't be a good option.
Top H2O
Posted 8/25/2020 1:45 PM (#965606 - in reply to #965596)

I didn't realize that a little Political humor was going to offend so many.
My Bad. Apologies.

The resorts up north have been struggling for a few yrs. The response to the virus will push others to go under... Very sad, but that's what WE as nation have demanded in order to try to Control the spread of this virus.
Perhaps the Canadian Gvt. could help out, or you Rich guys could send some cash to your favorite Resorts... maybe buy into the Resort ?

Anyone else have an idea or solution ?
North of 8
Posted 8/25/2020 3:04 PM (#965610 - in reply to #965606)

Top H2O - 8/25/2020 1:45 PM

I didn't realize that a little Political humor was going to offend so many.
My Bad. Apologies.

The resorts up north have been struggling for a few yrs. The response to the virus will push others to go under... Very sad, but that's what WE as nation have demanded in order to try to Control the spread of this virus.
Perhaps the Canadian Gvt. could help out, or you Rich guys could send some cash to your favorite Resorts... maybe buy into the Resort ?

Anyone else have an idea or solution ?

My thought is a combination of help from the government, like the USA gave so many businesses and some patience on the part of lenders will help tide many over. Next year could be very good for them. Should be a lot of pent up demand and maybe all the folks who are just getting into fishing this year that we have been reading about will in time expand their clientele.
And your idea of direct contributions on the part of customers is not that far fetched. When the bar/grill on the lake where I live had to close, a family member started a go fund me page for them and it raised over $10,000 to keep the owners and staff going. Goal was $5,000 but went beyond that.
Another thing loyal customers could do is book a trip for next year and send a deposit. To help out a place we like, my wife and I bought gift certificates back in April when things were pretty bleak. Gave a couple away, will redeem others down the road when things are better. Number of our friends did the same thing, providing a source of cash for businesses that were hurting.

Edited by North of 8 8/25/2020 3:18 PM
TCESOX
Posted 8/25/2020 5:50 PM (#965624 - in reply to #965524)

Speaking of rich folks helping out. I'm sure this rich guy probably helped save three small business in a small town, as well as help the folks in that town. This was back in April when doors had to be shut. Maybe some rich person could pay for some down and out Canadians to visit Canadian resorts that have empty cabins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2020/04/14/man-spent-82000-...

Edited by TCESOX 8/25/2020 5:52 PM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 8/25/2020 6:53 PM (#965625 - in reply to #965524)

It will be interesting to see what happens. I know that up where I'm at all 4 of the major resorts have basically been sold out since June and are still booking into late Sept. It will be one of their best seasons ever. Many clients are guys who have lost their Canadian trips and booked into the states. Those resorts are telling me that they have reservations for next year from anywhere from 10% to 20% of the former Canadian guys. Now does that mean those guys aren't going back to Canada or are they adding a additional trip to Minnesota?

Time will tell.
Clark A
Posted 8/26/2020 1:34 AM (#965635 - in reply to #965524)

Thank you TCESOX for sharing a link to about the only good story I've heard all summer. I hope it is true.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)