Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Help choosing a prop

Reply New post
Message Subject: Help choosing a prop
Topwater
Posted 7/27/2020 1:26 PM (#964731)
Subject: Help choosing a prop

Friday I picked up my new 2020 alumacraft tpro 185 with etec 175. It has a 14.5 x 19 aluminum 3 blade. Only turning about 5000-5100 rpms. Anyone running same rig and ideas for props?
VMS
Posted 7/27/2020 9:59 PM (#964756 - in reply to #964731)
Subject: Re: Help choosing a prop

Hiya!!

Being you are only down 400 RPM's from optimum, there are a couple of tweaks that might be available to make along with the switch of props. I have some ideas for you, but first I'm curious of what bolt hole your motor is mounted in. In most cases, standard mounting is one bolt hole up off the transom, so a switch to steel would allow you most likely to raise the motor up at least one more bolt hole (that would equate to roughly 100 RPM's per bolt hole up)

I assume you are getting the 5000 to 5100 when you are running by yourself and just your equipment, and you are trimming to the best optimum position for speed. Just by chance, what is your speed at 5100?

Assuming optimum trim with just you and your gear, A stainless Viper propeller would do quite well. Most likely, a drop to a 17 pitch would be in order, which would give you roughly another 300 (drop of 200 RPM going steel, but dropping 2 inches in pitch will be up 400), along with moving the motor up a hole. If you need just a touch more, The viper also comes in a 16 pitch as well, which would put you up another 200 and right at 5500 to 5600 depending on trim.

These are just rough estimates, but it hopefully will give you an idea of what to try. If you are looking to stay aluminum, Then dropping to a 17 pitch in a solas amita series propeller might be a better option as it is thinner, but flexes less than a standard aluminum. It will have better bite on the water as well.

Lots of other options, but hopefully this gives you an idea of where to start.

Steve
Topwater
Posted 7/27/2020 11:05 PM (#964760 - in reply to #964731)
Subject: Re: Help choosing a prop

Thanks much. Motor is mounted in 2nd hole from the top, one open above where it's bolted. My speed was low 40s.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)