Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> How to Finish the Retrieve with a Topwater.

Message Subject: How to Finish the Retrieve with a Topwater.
BassThumb
Posted 7/16/2020 8:56 AM (#963435)
Subject: How to Finish the Retrieve with a Topwater.

I just started fishing the walk-the-dog style topwaters (Phantom Viper Softtail) and had a big fish follow up to the boat yesterday.

How do you finish the retrieve with the bait? Do you try to do a walk-the-dog figure-8, which is almost impossible? Go subsurface and just pull the lure into a figure-8, despite it having almost no action? Do you slow the bait down near the boat while still giving it the walking action to give the fish one last look, like some do with dive-n-rise baits?

I'm curious about the finish with topwaters. Any tips, please feel free to share.
vegas492
Posted 7/16/2020 9:07 AM (#963437 - in reply to #963435)
Subject: Re: How to Finish the Retrieve with a Topwater.

Great question.
I've caught a fair share of topwater followers by taking the bait subsurface and doing the figure 8. I figure 8 those things like bucktails.
I've had a few guys in my boat that have had hot follows and they just keep it on the top and whip 8's, but they are doing it at a high rate of speed and not worried about bait action. The speed is what got those fish to bite.
And....a lot of my topwater hits on the 8 have come from fish that I didn't even see behind the bait, for whatever that is worth.
Rob C
Posted 7/16/2020 9:19 AM (#963438 - in reply to #963435)

When I get a follow on a topwater glider I glide it almost in place for a few seconds a few feet from the boat, if the fish doesn't come unglued i'I'll do a typical underwater figure 8.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/16/2020 9:35 AM (#963439 - in reply to #963438)

Rob C - 7/16/2020 9:19 AM

When I get a follow on a topwater glider I glide it almost in place for a few seconds a few feet from the boat, if the fish doesn't come unglued i'I'll do a typical underwater figure 8.

Yup, just keep it away from the boat as long as possible. Long pauses and quick taps. I've seen many fish eat it when it's been sitting still for what seems like way to long. Figure 8's are tough. Just hope for the best.

You can keep the trolling motor going to stay away from the bait, or let the wind drift you away as well.
Fishysam
Posted 7/16/2020 11:46 AM (#963443 - in reply to #963435)

Lots of options but one way I do it is make the walk the dog underwater while pulling the bait fast just by moving the rod tip 10" away and back closer and repeate while pulling no more pauses. But this is if the fish is hot.
MartinTD
Posted 7/16/2020 12:08 PM (#963445 - in reply to #963435)

Earlier this year I unknowingly had a fish following a Weagle to the boat in very dark water. When I finally saw the fish next to the boat I instinctively brought the lure subsurface straight lining it and the fish came unglued in the first turn. I almost couldn't believe it myself. In the past I've tried to keep walking it alongside the boat but after this years experience I wouldn't hesitate to go subsurface and figure 8 like normal.
RJ_692
Posted 7/16/2020 12:49 PM (#963446 - in reply to #963435)

with topwaters ive always went with if the fish is under the water go under the surface with the bait, if the fish is waking, tail kicking i stay on top.

Its always a bit of a caveat with any walk the dog baits as they do not excel close to the boat. Just have to kind of accept that...well at least thats how i deal with it lol
BassThumb
Posted 7/17/2020 9:50 AM (#963479 - in reply to #963435)

Good responses. Multiple different experiences.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)