Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Temp Sensor problems

Reply New post
Message Subject: Temp Sensor problems
jlong
Posted 10/14/2003 11:51 AM (#84755)
Subject: Temp Sensor problems

I've been having a problem with my temperature sensor "shorting out" on my Lowrance units after a short period of time. I can swap out the LCD and still have the problem... so its gotta be a wiring/sensor issue.

It works great when you first turn the unit on after being off for about 12 hours. Sometimes it only takes 15 mintues... sometimes 5 hours, but it eventually ends up reading 0.0 on the display. Only way to get it to work again is to not use the graph for an extended period of time (hours).

I tried running some silicon along the wire where it is submerged... didn't work. Any other suggestions to try before I yank it off the boat and replace it with a new probe? Thanks.
Webguy
Posted 10/14/2003 1:28 PM (#84772 - in reply to #84755)
Subject: RE: Temp Sensor problems

My first thought is to always check the connection points. A bad cable connection to the back of the unit can wreak havoc, pin connections can fail intermittently and sometimes they just need a little attention like cleaning off of oxidization or a spreading of the pin. Assuming you checked that already my next step would be to contact the manufacturer, maybe you'll get help from them. Good luck.
Shep
Posted 10/14/2003 3:11 PM (#84792 - in reply to #84772)

Sounds like the sensor on the transducer, or speed wheel. What model is it? Is it a pain to route the cable? I would think that Lowrance would exchange this for you if it's not too old. When are we gonna get out? Can you get a day off to get out with a vendor?
jlong
Posted 10/14/2003 4:16 PM (#84804 - in reply to #84755)

Shep,
I'm thinking what your thinking. I believe I even have a second speed/temp sensor laying around somewhere... but I'm an electrical idiot and just don't feel capable of re-wiring the darn thing myself.

Oh yeah... and "vendor lunches" are perfectly acceptable. I know of a few good spots to eat just DOWNRIVER.

jlong
Shep
Posted 10/15/2003 8:33 AM (#84871 - in reply to #84804)

Jason,

If you have the spare, next time take it out with you on the water. Connect it to the unit, and just let it hang over the side of the boat in the water. Remember to bring it inside the boat when you run to your next spot, so you don't get whacked in the back of the brainbox! This would be one way to test it. You might even be able to try this at home, and put the sensor in a bucket of water.
Shep
Posted 10/15/2003 9:21 AM (#84878 - in reply to #84804)

Jason,

If you have the spare, next time take it out with you on the water. Connect it to the unit, and just let it hang over the side of the boat in the water. Remember to bring it inside the boat when you run to your next spot, so you don't get whacked in the back of the brainbox! This would be one way to test it. You might even be able to try this at home, and put the sensor in a bucket of water.
Tyler Campbell
Posted 10/15/2003 11:59 PM (#84983 - in reply to #84755)

Unfortunately I think it's the transducer. I have been through so many. I think Lowrance is having some quality control issues. I love their products, but having to glass in 3 transducers into the hull of my Triton is tiring. They will straighten it out hopefully.

I would test it with the other transducer to be sure, but it sounds like you have a bad one after switching units already.

My temp is out at the front of the boat for the second time this season, and I think my 3rd thru-hull transducer is going. Maybe they will learn their lesson like OMC should have.

Good fishin',

Tyler

muskiekid
Posted 11/17/2003 12:07 PM (#88347 - in reply to #84755)

I would give Lowrance a call at 1-800-324-1356 and talk to a service rep. I had a hook-up problem (confusion more than problem) and they answered it right away. Interesting, the rep was a woman!!! She really knew her stuff. Tom
mreiter
Posted 11/20/2003 10:41 AM (#88688 - in reply to #84755)

mreiter
Posted 11/20/2003 10:49 AM (#88689 - in reply to #84755)

Jason,
The problem is your temp sensor heats up and shorts out. The warmer the water the faster the short. You will have to spend the money and replace your temp/speed option OR get a in dash temp gauge. Let me know when you want me to install it for you.........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)