Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Milwaukee Musky Show Lure Swap

Message Subject: Milwaukee Musky Show Lure Swap
esox109
Posted 12/30/2019 5:55 PM (#951750)
Subject: Milwaukee Musky Show Lure Swap

Just wondering if anyone knows if a Milwaukee lure swap is in the works for this year? There wasn't one last year and I remember some talk of possibly another musky club restarting that?
jdsplasher
Posted 12/30/2019 6:58 PM (#951752 - in reply to #951750)
Subject: RE: Milwaukee Musky Show Lure Swap

The Milwaukee chapter of MI showed some interest in getting this swap going for this season. BUT, our past President stepped down, and sadly the new board didn’t seem interested, as I inquired about a week ago. The Milwaukee chapter did talk about a swap this April, as We had last April.

Hopefully the other local musky club restarts the past February Swaps.

Lunkers Unlimited also has a yearly swap at the Fox Run lanes Waukesha in early April.

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 12/30/2019 7:02 PM
happy hooker
Posted 1/8/2020 3:58 PM (#952182 - in reply to #951752)

I don't at all mean this in an insulting way or tone,,but I don't quite understand what's so difficult,,
i don't think this has to be an official club,organization,promoter deal just Somebody in the area just contact local bars,restaurants etc and tell them you need some space to bring a bunch of mostly overweight guys who eat a lot and ring up a big bar bill. Here in the twin cities we've had to change venues twice and will again this year it's never a hard sell to a manager or an owner if you contact them in advance. Is Milwaukee more restrictive or possessive of their public places
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/8/2020 5:57 PM (#952186 - in reply to #952182)

I agree with happy hooker. This doesn't have to be officially sanctioned by a club per se. Somebody can just start making phone calls and see what's available for space if you want to put in your own legwork.

Speaking of which....

I'm looking at a few options on Tillie Lake Court in Jackson, Wisconsin, which is exactly 2 miles south of the show. (I'm assuming that the musky expo is still at the County Fairground at 3000 Pleasant Valley Road in West Bend, correct?)

So, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is the pastor of a church that meets Sunday mornings in a space that they rent on Tillie Lake Court (2 miles south of the Fairgrounds).

I asked if he might be willing to host a lure swap on the night of Saturday, February 15.

He said he would have to talk it over with a few other people but seemed quite open to the idea (He's also a very avid musky and pike fisherman, so that helped quite a bit too).

…. BUT....

IF he could make this work (notice my use of the word "IF") .....

There would be a few constraints:

1. Space would be limited to about 15 tables.

2. Maximum capacity in the fellowship hall would be maybe 75 to 100 people (I don't know if this is enough space).

3. No food or drink would be provided (It's not a bar or a restaurant, after all. It is leased space in a strip mall).

4. It's possible that he might not even allow carry in food or beverages, simply because he's hosting a church service there the next morning, and neither he nor I want to stay up all night cleaning up other peoples' messes.

So, I just put this out there as food for thought. It's possible that, based on lure swap demand (they always seem to be quite popular), that he / we wouldn't have enough space to host the event. (But then again, maybe we would have enough space. If there wasn't any beer and pizza being served, maybe this would deter the people who are there only for the purpose of socializing).

Other options:

My friend mentioned to me that his landlord, the strip mall property owner, has other vacant space on Tillie Lake Ct, and would most likely be willing to rent out the space for one night for a reasonable rate. This might potentially be a better option than my friend's church, simply because it would be more spacious and would accommodate a larger crowd. (Sorry, no food or drinks available at this location either).

He also mentioned that there's a Comfort Inn & Suites on Tillie Lake Court, that would most likely have a conference room available (Not sure on the availability of food or drinks here).

Anyway, I think in terms of organizing something like this, I'm willing to make a few phone calls, but I would need to know a few details in advance, such as:

1. What is the typical attendance at one of these lure swaps? (I haven't been to one in about 5 years or so, but I seem to remember them being quite popular).

2. If the venue did not serve food and drinks, would you still attend the lure swap? Or are food and drinks necessary to make it worth your while to show up?

3. Are you planning to bring your own baits to sell (how many tables would be needed?) or are you there just to buy stuff?

4. What hours work best for this? (I'm assuming something like 7 pm until 10 or 11 pm). What time does the show end on Saturday? I'm assuming that the best time to start the swap is right when the expo closes on Saturday night.

Anyway, I'm certainly willing to kick around some ideas and look at options. Feel free to respond, or to PM me if you wish.

Thanks!

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Cabbage Patch
Posted 1/8/2020 8:15 PM (#952192 - in reply to #952186)

I think that is a great idea to organize a swap. I’m sure someone has a connection somewhere. I’ll see if I can dream something up as well.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/10/2020 10:49 AM (#952239 - in reply to #952186)

jackpotjohnny48 - 1/8/2020 5:57 PM I agree with happy hooker. This doesn't have to be officially sanctioned by a club per se. Somebody can just start making phone calls and see what's available for space if you want to put in your own legwork. Speaking of which.... I'm looking at a few options on Tillie Lake Court in Jackson, Wisconsin, which is exactly 2 miles south of the show. (I'm assuming that the musky expo is still at the County Fairground at 3000 Pleasant Valley Road in West Bend, correct?) So, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is the pastor of a church that meets Sunday mornings in a space that they rent on Tillie Lake Court (2 miles south of the Fairgrounds). I asked if he might be willing to host a lure swap on the night of Saturday, February 15. He said he would have to talk it over with a few other people but seemed quite open to the idea (He's also a very avid musky and pike fisherman, so that helped quite a bit too). …. BUT.... IF he could make this work (notice my use of the word "IF") ..... There would be a few constraints: 1. Space would be limited to about 15 tables. 2. Maximum capacity in the fellowship hall would be maybe 75 to 100 people (I don't know if this is enough space). 3. No food or drink would be provided (It's not a bar or a restaurant, after all. It is leased space in a strip mall). 4. It's possible that he might not even allow carry in food or beverages, simply because he's hosting a church service there the next morning, and neither he nor I want to stay up all night cleaning up other peoples' messes. So, I just put this out there as food for thought. It's possible that, based on lure swap demand (they always seem to be quite popular), that he / we wouldn't have enough space to host the event. (But then again, maybe we would have enough space. If there wasn't any beer and pizza being served, maybe this would deter the people who are there only for the purpose of socializing). Other options: My friend mentioned to me that his landlord, the strip mall property owner, has other vacant space on Tillie Lake Ct, and would most likely be willing to rent out the space for one night for a reasonable rate. This might potentially be a better option than my friend's church, simply because it would be more spacious and would accommodate a larger crowd. (Sorry, no food or drinks available at this location either). He also mentioned that there's a Comfort Inn & Suites on Tillie Lake Court, that would most likely have a conference room available (Not sure on the availability of food or drinks here). Anyway, I think in terms of organizing something like this, I'm willing to make a few phone calls, but I would need to know a few details in advance, such as: 1. What is the typical attendance at one of these lure swaps? (I haven't been to one in about 5 years or so, but I seem to remember them being quite popular). 2. If the venue did not serve food and drinks, would you still attend the lure swap? Or are food and drinks necessary to make it worth your while to show up? 3. Are you planning to bring your own baits to sell (how many tables would be needed?) or are you there just to buy stuff? 4. What hours work best for this? (I'm assuming something like 7 pm until 10 or 11 pm). What time does the show end on Saturday? I'm assuming that the best time to start the swap is right when the expo closes on Saturday night. Anyway, I'm certainly willing to kick around some ideas and look at options. Feel free to respond, or to PM me if you wish. Thanks! "Jackpot" John Schroeder

1, would guess 75-125 people walk through 

2, would think beer, soda, water is all U really need.....food? Maybe a few could bring a platter to pass...heck, I’d bring some smoked fish or a small platter of my smoked polish to pass

3, Probably about 30-45 tables would suffice.

4, Hours are usually 6-10; but by 9, most are picking up and leaving...

5, most decent halls cost from 200-$400 an evening....a cover of $3-$5 probably be needed...

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 1/10/2020 10:55 AM
vegas492
Posted 1/10/2020 10:50 AM (#952240 - in reply to #951750)
Subject: Re: Milwaukee Musky Show Lure Swap

There are a couple reasons why it is a little more difficult for a club to organize and run such an event around a show. Many things to consider.

First is the show itself. Our Muskies Inc chapter gets a free booth for the show. Not sure if the show operator would like our club to run a swap afterwards which may inadvertently keep guys from spending money at the show on a bait/reel/rod when they can pay less for the same item at a swap. It is something to consider.

Then there is the volunteer aspect of the swap. It may not take much to organize and run, but someone needs to do it and staffing the booth for the show is difficult enough as it is.

To the best of my knowledge, our Muskies Inc. chapter here in Milwaukee has never hosted a lure swap during the show. (Going back like 10 years in my memory.) We were open to it, but no one stepped up and offered to organize/run the event. And as such, we do have a Swap scheduled later in the year as one of our member meetings.

My $.02.

jdsplasher
Posted 1/10/2020 11:01 AM (#952242 - in reply to #952240)

Geoff, good points, and all considered...But, also the swaps do generate Monies $$, that are turned around and spent at the Show or further down the road at retailers!

But Yes, there is a trend that the shows R not interested in the swaps......as was the case last year.

The MCW did sponsor a few swaps for a few years......and thank you!

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 1/10/2020 11:10 AM
jdsplasher
Posted 1/10/2020 4:49 PM (#952273 - in reply to #952242)

So; heard some positive news about the swap.  Stayed Tuned.

JD

happy hooker
Posted 1/11/2020 1:21 AM (#952281 - in reply to #952273)

Vegas
I've been to the Chicago muskie expo 21 out of the last 22 years missing only once because of a good reason. However this year im choosing on my own not to go to Chicago "because' there is no swap meet to combine with the show. when theres a swap Yes I will buy some stuff at the swap but I will also sell some old stuff too giving me more space at home and more money or a reason to justify buying the new stuff I want to try. Also knowing there's a swap after a show that makes me more likely to hang around longer at show or a deciding factor in booking a room overnight at the show hotel which looks favorably on the show and giving me the option to go again on sunday..
I go to car shows too where they sell new repo parts by manufacturers who have booths but they also have a swapmeet too "right inside" the show and everybody sees this has a bonus draw.
If your MI chapter wants to in the future consider taking this event on again I'm sure you can come up with a lot more examples then I listed and convey that to the promoter who probably can see the advantages too.

By the way,,when the Wausau muskie expo started its first year the show owner promoter called me up and wanted me to start and publicize a swap meet for that Saturday night. I told him living in the twin cities i didn't know a thing about the local Wausau area but would help try to find someone who lived there and somebody volunteered. Point of that is the promoter felt that a swap meet would be such a added draw to helping the new show get up and going.

Edited by happy hooker 1/11/2020 2:02 AM
jackpotjohnny48
Posted 1/11/2020 2:49 AM (#952282 - in reply to #952281)

happy hooker - 1/11/2020 1:21 AM

Vegas
I've been to the Chicago muskie expo 21 out of the last 22 years missing only once because of a good reason. However this year im choosing on my own not to go to Chicago "because' there is no swap meet to combine with the show. when theres a swap Yes I will buy some stuff at the swap but I will also sell some old stuff too giving me more space at home and more money or a reason to justify buying the new stuff I want to try. Also knowing there's a swap after a show that makes me more likely to hang around longer at show or a deciding factor in booking a room overnight at the show hotel which looks favorably on the show and giving me the option to go again on sunday..
I go to car shows too where they sell new repo parts by manufacturers who have booths but they also have a swapmeet too "right inside" the show and everybody sees this has a bonus draw.
If your MI chapter wants to in the future consider taking this event on again I'm sure you can come up with a lot more examples then I listed and convey that to the promoter who probably can see the advantages too.

By the way,,when the Wausau muskie expo started its first year the show owner promoter called me up and wanted me to start and publicize a swap meet for that Saturday night. I told him living in the twin cities i didn't know a thing about the local Wausau area but would help try to find someone who lived there and somebody volunteered. Point of that is the promoter felt that a swap meet would be such a added draw to helping the new show get up and going.

This is now the second time in this thread that I agree with happy hooker. This is proof that great minds think alike

I too, have had times where I skipped a show because there wasn't a lure swap, and the lure swap ended up being the deciding factor in whether or not to attend. In most years that I have attended either Chicago or Milwaukee, I have always intentionally chosen to go on Saturday, because I wanted to stick around for the swap afterward.

I really think the swap is a big draw, not only for myself, but also for other people. And I'm sure that there are many people who attend the swap, simply because it will allow them to spend time socializing with some of their fellow musky fisherman. And then they think, "Well, as long as I'm going to the swap anyway, I may as well attend the actual expo beforehand."

So, I think that the swap is a win-win for all parties involved. I think it brings more total dollars into the neighborhood, regardless of how the pie is divided up amongst those who spend money AT the show, and those who spend money AFTER the show.

But, I have never let an upcoming swap meet deter me from buying beforehand while I'm actually AT the show. If I see a new special show color bulldawg, I'm going to buy it, regardless of whether or not the swap starts in 2 hours...

The only thing that would keep me from spending money on that new bulldawg is if I didn't attend the show in the first place.

And there have been times where I didn't attend the show in the first place, because I learned that there wouldn't be a swap. I can think of at least two times where I skipped a musky expo because I found out that there wouldn't be a swap, so I figured it wasn't worth my time to attend the show.

The swap is really a big draw for a lot of people, I think.

Just my .02

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

Edited by jackpotjohnny48 1/11/2020 2:50 AM
muskymartin67
Posted 1/11/2020 7:54 AM (#952284 - in reply to #951750)

I also will not be attending Chicago show due to no swap- that is the best part, had my mind made up when I first saw the post, but chose not to say anything, but now that others are listing that as a reason not to go might as well speak up, I may still go to Milwaukee show since it's a lot closer for me, but definitely skipping out on Chicago, use to be a lot more exciting being the 1st show of the year and all , it has gone down hill in my opinion, now the Ohio show is the 1 St of the year but that is just too far for me
jdsplasher
Posted 1/11/2020 9:51 AM (#952290 - in reply to #952284)

I did talk to the MCW, Musky Club Wisconsin, they are working hard to get a location. Hopefully things work out. Hopefully update this week... Stay Tuned!!!

Thanks MCW

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 1/11/2020 9:54 AM
ToddM
Posted 1/11/2020 3:30 PM (#952304 - in reply to #951750)

Looks like there will be a swap meet at the Chicago show.
muskymartin67
Posted 1/11/2020 3:58 PM (#952306 - in reply to #951750)

Hey Todd -You got any Details? I don't do Facebook.
wallydiven
Posted 1/11/2020 4:00 PM (#952307 - in reply to #952304)

ToddM - 1/11/2020 3:30 PM

That is correct!!
vegas492
Posted 1/14/2020 4:02 PM (#952519 - in reply to #951750)

Interesting points about a Milwaukee swap.
We will consider it for the future, but would still need a member to chair the event. Organize it, sell it to the promoter and ultimately run it.
Since our April swap last year was such a success and part of our monthly meetings, we will have that again this year.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 1/14/2020 4:09 PM (#952520 - in reply to #952304)

ToddM - 1/11/2020 3:30 PM

FREE BEERRSSS !!!! ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)