Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Adding a swivel to wire

Message Subject: Adding a swivel to wire
TattooTom
Posted 9/28/2019 3:52 PM (#947349)
Subject: Adding a swivel to wire

Going to start using a wire leader for jerks this year. Do you add a swivel to solid wire leader to prevent line twist ? Or is this just a personal preference thing?
joh10891
Posted 9/28/2019 6:27 PM (#947354 - in reply to #947349)
Subject: RE: Adding a swivel to wire

Yeah, I prefer a swivel. Using a relatively smaller crane-style (spro power) swivel, instead of a big ball bearing swivel. It's cheaper, and interferes with jerkbait action less because it's smaller.
BornToFish1
Posted 9/29/2019 8:30 AM (#947358 - in reply to #947354)

Greetings,

I have been using my own wire leaders for years. It's not that hard to make them if you know how to bend wire.

I add a ball-bearing swivel to wire leaders that I use for lures that revolve (i.e. roll-over) such as in-line blades (i.e. bucktails) or top waters. I add a welded ring to the other end of the leader. I secure my lure to the welded ring with a split ring. I normally do not use wire leaders with swivels for twitch baits or jerk baits.

I add a welded ring to each end of my wire leaders for twitch and jerk baits. One welded ring is used to tie my main fishing line. I believe the relatively rounded edge of the welded ring is less likely to fray my line compared to a loop in wire.

The other welded ring is used to attach a split ring, which also attaches to the lure. I learned years ago that a split ring directly attached to the wire loop of the leader can have issues. The wire loop can work its way into the split ring, and then work its way around the split ring. The welded rings (from Stealth Tackle, Musky Shop) that I use do not enter the split ring.

By the way, a connection of a split ring to another split ring can encounter the same problem. One split ring can enter the opening of the other split ring.

I used 8 inch -10 inch wire leaders for years. More recently, I've been favoring 5 inch - 6 inch wire leaders for both twitch baits and jerk baits. I mostly use AFW brown camo wire that is around 124 pounds.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
mikie
Posted 9/29/2019 8:52 AM (#947359 - in reply to #947358)
Subject: Re: Adding a swivel to wire

With a jerk bait leader, adding a swivel provides little benefit, since you rarely get a line twist situation. In addition, it adds a little weight to the end of the line so when you pause, the end of the leader will drop just a little. This may or may not be desirable. Also, it is one more connection to fail. I cut the swivels off and just tie to the wire loop. m
Jerry Newman
Posted 10/1/2019 9:52 AM (#947464 - in reply to #947358)

BornToFish1 - 9/29/2019 8:30 AM I learned years ago that a split ring directly attached to the wire loop of the leader can have issues. The wire loop can work its way into the split ring, and then work its way around the split ring. The welded rings (from Stealth Tackle, Musky Shop) that I use do not enter the split ring. By the way, a connection of a split ring to another split ring can encounter the same problem. One split ring can enter the opening of the other split ring.

100% agree, using extra cautious with two split rings setups bears repeating because the rings can work themselves free like with wire, or welded rings.  I was shocked to find this out after using 2 split rings to attach the belly hook on body baits. I went with the 2 ring deal to change the rub location of the hook, but now also think it helps to decrease a fishes leverage when hooked too.

I noticed a couple of split rings that were working themselves free, but think this was due to the older partially opened rings. I replaced them with very tight matching heavy-duty rings with no more issues, but continue to monitor them. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)