Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> knipex

Message Subject: knipex
kirkkopplin
Posted 9/24/2019 9:31 PM (#947221)
Subject: knipex

can a knipex cut the shank of a treble hook?
supertrollr
Posted 9/24/2019 9:50 PM (#947223 - in reply to #947221)
Subject: Re: knipex

sure
ToddM
Posted 9/24/2019 10:08 PM (#947224 - in reply to #947221)

Yes but it's easier to cut it at the eye.
RyanJoz
Posted 9/25/2019 11:20 AM (#947237 - in reply to #947221)

If you get the 10” Cobolt pliers that were released last year, you will have a much easier time than with the 8 everyone else seems to use. It can be done with the 8, but it takes me 2 hands to do that with an 8” set.
Rotorhead
Posted 9/25/2019 8:37 PM (#947269 - in reply to #947237)

RyanJoz, good point. I was in Canada early in Sept and had a 48' muskie in the bag. While holding one end of the bait in my pliers, I could easily cut the hook with my Knipex with the other hand. If I'd have had to release the pliers to use two hands to cut the hook, the results could have been pretty interesting had that fish decided to thrash at the right moment. The point is, if you need both hands to cut a hook, you have the wrong cutter!
Jerry Newman
Posted 9/26/2019 7:04 AM (#947276 - in reply to #947269)

I've used the same medium sized 2 handed bolt cutters in my boat for over 30 years now, with 2 people they are my #1 because they can quickly cut through the shank of an 8/0 if needed. I've used them countless times by myself too, but some situations do call for a one-handed Knipex style as already mentioned, which I also keep in the boat.

The Knipex work better for me with small hooks, or to clean up after the bolt cutters. The downside with the bolt cutters is it can get a little crowded with the larger jaws of the tool inside the mouth of a small fish (or solo), that's when I lean more toward Knipex.

Having the proper release tools handy is vitally important and why I keep both style cutters at the ready, also I always use a heavy welding glove to protect the hand/wrist while unhooking or cutting.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)