Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Question for those that store boat outside

Reply New post
Message Subject: Question for those that store boat outside
Pepper
Posted 8/1/2019 7:52 AM (#943548)
Subject: Question for those that store boat outside

The last couple years I have been able to store the boat in a heated shed. It is not available so it looks like outdoor storage for the boat this year. My question is do you remove your trolling motor batteries and take them inside or leave them in the boat with a full charge?
CMesserschmidt
Posted 8/1/2019 10:46 AM (#943556 - in reply to #943548)
Subject: Re: Question for those that store boat outside

Mine is stored in a garage but it's not insulated.. I remove all my batteries and put them in my basement. I have a maintainer that I switch to a different battery about every 2 weeks. Then when it's time to use the boat, everything is basically charged and ready. I also put in the Connect-Ease Battery cables. I can take the batteries out in about 30 seconds, and put them in and hook them in about the same.

Very efficient and easy process. I also don't worry about my batteries in the cold then. In Northern MN it gets cold.

My dad has left his in over the winter and hasn't had a problem. But I like to be able to keep them topped off during the winter.

Edited by CMesserschmidt 8/1/2019 10:49 AM
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/1/2019 11:12 AM (#943558 - in reply to #943548)

Charge them up, unhook your wires and call it a day. They discharge significantly slower in cold temps. Just make sure they're topped off and fully charged.
TCESOX
Posted 8/1/2019 11:59 AM (#943562 - in reply to #943548)

In my previous boats, the batteries were very easy to remove, so I would take them out, and put them in the basement on a couple of chunks of 2x4, and hook the on-board charger(which was also very easy to remove). Worked great, no issues for many years. Current boat is much more of a chore to remove batteries, and the charger is even harder to remove. I just charge 'em up, un-hook the leads, and let em freeze. Been doing that for 6 years, and no issues. Also, these batteries were in the boat when I got it, so I don't even know how old they are.
jaultman
Posted 8/1/2019 2:51 PM (#943580 - in reply to #943558)

Pat Hoolihan - 8/1/2019 11:12 AM

Charge them up, unhook your wires and call it a day. They discharge significantly slower in cold temps. Just make sure they're topped off and fully charged.

Exactly this. Just don't leave them over the winter without full charge.
mikie
Posted 8/1/2019 3:43 PM (#943595 - in reply to #943548)

https://www.batterysystems.net/winter-battery-storage-tips/

see if this helps. m
Jigsnrigs
Posted 8/3/2019 8:29 AM (#943682 - in reply to #943548)

If your batteries are a couple years old or more, leaving them uncharged, warm or cold will shorten their life or worse, kill them over the winter. Your best bet is to get a battery tender, plug them in and leave them all winter. Cold or warm storage.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)