Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 Waypoints

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 Waypoints
NGE
Posted 10/1/2017 1:21 PM (#879809)
Subject: Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 Waypoints

When adding a waypoint I would like to set to default "DISPLAY ICON ONLY'. I don't want to have to go into the waypoint options and select "display icon only" every time I drop a waypoint. I would like to display the icon only all the time.

any help?
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/9/2017 11:40 AM (#883870 - in reply to #879809)
Subject: RE: Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 Waypoints

Sorry, there is no default setting for a Gen3.

Interestingly enough you could set the early Gen2s up to default display waypoint only, but this was only available if you activated it before installing one of the early software upgrades. I know this because one of my Gen2s stills lays down waypoints without a name/number. I plan to use this early Gen2 unit for GPS, and a Gen3 for the 3-D structure scan next year. For this reason I will not be upgrading to a Gen3 or Carbon for GPS.

My friend Tom called Lowrance on this and was told that this default setting was lost somewhere during the Gen2 software upgrades, and that it has never been available for the Gen3 or carbon. However, it's possible they might be reestablishing this function in a future software upgrade as apparently they are tabling this at their next meeting according to Tom.

I think it would also be super helpful to be able “hide” just the names and numbers of the waypoints with a couple clicks all at once to streamline transferring waypoints from one unit to another.

Edited by Jerry Newman 11/10/2017 2:18 PM
tcbetka
Posted 11/9/2017 12:43 PM (#883887 - in reply to #883870)
Subject: Re: Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 Waypoints

Yup, indeed...this "display icon only" function went away somewhere in the Gen-2 firmware upgrades, according a fellow named Earl (as I recall) at Lowrance. It's sad too, given that their choice of a font size is quite large. So when the icon "name" appears, you can't even use a smaller font in the Gen-2 units. On the Gen-3 and Carbon units they seem to have gone to a smaller font size, so at least it doesn't cover other details in close proximity to that waypoint on the chart.

I've left myself a note to call Earl back again in a couple of weeks, to maybe see if there is any feedback about how well-received this idea is...to maybe bring back the "display icon only" feature. I'm not holding my breath, but if the feature was supported in their source code in the past, it should be relatively straight forward to go back in the code repository, study that code, and maybe just re-implement it going forward.

Another option that Jerry and I talked about yesterday, was that if they don't want to implement the ability to offer a global "display icon only" feature, then maybe offer the ability to do it by region. So all the new waypoints go onto the chart with a name, but then you can create a region and remove all names from the waypoints inside that region. But that seems 1) more involved than just giving us the global "display icon only" feature, and 2) also seems like it would require the ability to not display the names for a given set of waypoints anyway. So it would seem that it would just be easiest to re-implement that lost feature that was in the earlier Gen-2 firmware.

TB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)