Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Gear ratio question

Message Subject: Gear ratio question
Dan111
Posted 10/2/2017 8:02 PM (#879912)
Subject: Gear ratio question

Im new to this forum and musky fishing. The rod and reel i use is the st croix big nasty and revo toro beast 61HS (6.2:1). I mainly throw 8s but i have purchased a few 10s that i am experiencing some stress trying to retrieve them even at a steady pace. Would the 4.9:1 be a better reel for the bigger blades? But would i also be able to burn the 8s and 7s with only 27ipt? Would cranking faster with a 4.9:1 be more effective than cranking “harder” on the 6:1 ? I apologize if a thread like this has been made before just couldnt find anything related to the toro beast.
upnortdave
Posted 10/2/2017 8:23 PM (#879913 - in reply to #879912)
Subject: RE: Gear ratio question

Have you tried the jigging handle. If not try it in last hole. Try to keep handle pointed down to avoid engaging reel on cast
davesebe314
Posted 10/2/2017 8:30 PM (#879915 - in reply to #879912)
Subject: Re: Gear ratio question

4.9 would work great for BIG blades, such as Super Models. It'll bring them in effortlessly. Burning anything, however, would be a real chore. You'd have to crank insanely fast. 6.3 to 1 does become more work with 10s, but works great for 9s and below. Perhaps the Toro S with a 5.3 to 1 ratio would be a happy medium for you. Or get a Tranx 500PG and have the best of both worlds with speed and ease of use. They are very popular for throwing double 10s.
Dan111
Posted 10/2/2017 8:49 PM (#879916 - in reply to #879915)

davesebe314 - 10/2/2017 8:30 PM

4.9 would work great for BIG blades, such as Super Models. It'll bring them in effortlessly. Burning anything, however, would be a real chore. You'd have to crank insanely fast. 6.3 to 1 does become more work with 10s, but works great for 9s and below. Perhaps the Toro S with a 5.3 to 1 ratio would be a happy medium for you. Or get a Tranx 500PG and have the best of both worlds with speed and ease of use. They are very popular for throwing double 10s.

Would definitely get the tranx if it came left. But the pg only has 30ipt and thr 4.9 beast has 27ipt. Does the 3 inches really make that big of a difference when burning? Again im new to musky fishing and the tackle involved but if i had a bass reel that pulled in 27ipt to me that would be considered high speed. For example when i fish for pike i use a curado 71hg 7:1 28ipt for ripping spinnerbaits over weeds and dont need to crank that hard at all to keep them over and out from the weeds. So would i really have to stuggle to keep lets say 6s-8s from getting hung up in weeds in shallow water ?
tolle141
Posted 10/3/2017 7:17 PM (#880021 - in reply to #879912)

I'd do power handle on the beast 60. If that doesn't work for you and you want to burn, it's Tranx 500 HG or PG.

davesebe314
Posted 10/3/2017 8:14 PM (#880025 - in reply to #879912)

27" per turn is actually SLOW in muskie reels. Look at Tranx 500HG at 40" per turn, Tranx 400HG is 40" per turn at 7.6:1, the LexaHD 400HS is 37.7" per turn at 7.1:1, and the LexaHD 400XS is 43" per turn at 8.1:1. Those are your high speed muskie reels.

Everything is subjective to the individual doing the work, but, having used both a Beast 60 with 4.9:1 and a Tranx 500PG, I would definitely say there is a difference between the two as far as speed and resistance, the advantage going to the Tranx. They are both very nice reels! They are, however, pretty different when it comes to application. Too bad they don't make it in a lefty

Another thing to consider is this... sometimes small blades, such as Baby Girls, actually require more speed, especially to get the little blades spinning at the very beginning of the retrieve. If you've made a long bomb of a cast, your low gear that usually picks up 27" per turn is now only cranking in, say, 18" per turn (whatever the number may be, substantially less being the point here). Then you would really have to crank that handle around until you build up your spool diameter a bit!

Ideally, a person would have at least two combos. One would have a high gear reel for speed, the other would have a low gear reel for power.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)