Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How often do we need to use BUMP BOARDS?

Message Subject: How often do we need to use BUMP BOARDS?
NPike
Posted 9/6/2017 3:31 PM (#876796 - in reply to #876719)
Subject: RE: How often do we need to use BUMP BOARDS?

I pinch the barb down on all hooks of 1/0 or larger "which means most hooks". It's amazing how easy the fish come off the hook once netted. I don't believe I loose any more fish than I used to and it's safer as well. Also little need for hook cutters. Get a nice fish trashing about and even if you get japed it's in and out 1,2,3. I agree with wetting down the measurements.
mnmusky
Posted 9/6/2017 4:11 PM (#876799 - in reply to #876719)

I have one that's 2 years old and has never been used....
esoxaddict
Posted 9/6/2017 4:18 PM (#876800 - in reply to #876719)

I carry one of those miniature baseball bats in the boat. One good whack on the noggin and they sit perfectly still on the bump board until you're ready to release them. Also makes removing hooks a breeze...
dougj
Posted 9/6/2017 7:15 PM (#876816 - in reply to #876719)

No kidding! Somewhere around 50 years ago or so I caught a decent fish (46"or so). Wacked it on the head and put it on a metal stringer, looked pretty dead to me at the time. Continued to fish the spot and after around 15-20 minutes the fish was swimming around like crazy. Looked at the fish a couple of times, and thought if you're able to survive all the I guess I'll let you go! Which I did, took off like a rocket. However, I don't suggest this as a release method! Never bump boarded it so not real sure about the length!
happy hooker
Posted 9/6/2017 7:18 PM (#876817 - in reply to #876800)

I'm proud to say I go the extra mile,,hooks are sharp, dirty,and some rust,,I carry serum and a hypodermic needle and before release I administer a tetanus shot to each fish,,if it's a young one I find a bite size Snickers or M&M s makes it less traumatic.

Edited by happy hooker 9/6/2017 7:43 PM
fish4musky1
Posted 9/6/2017 7:33 PM (#876820 - in reply to #876719)
Subject: Re: How often do we need to use BUMP BOARDS?

I bump bigger fish (45"+) but I do agree with his ideas. Of the 250+ muskie I have caught, I have never dropped one when picking it up or holding it for a picture. BUT when I put them on the bump board it is almost a guarantee they are going to start thrashing around which results in a fish either whacking its head a bunch or rolling around on the carpet. IMO this usually causes more damage then hooking and fighting the fish. I am very confident in fighting, unhooking, and holding the fish for a quick picture but putting them down on the bump always seems to cause issues.

Everyone here is always worried about vertical holds, fishing in 80+ temps, keeping fish out of water, etc. but you act like the fish rolling around on the carpet and whacking its head is no big deal. I would like so see some videos of people trying to put fish on the bump, hold them there, and get them back in the water without the fish going crazy and beating itself up. I can't imagine it only happens to me or the boats I am in...

Edited by fish4musky1 9/6/2017 7:36 PM
sworrall
Posted 9/6/2017 8:46 PM (#876828 - in reply to #876820)

fish4musky1 - 9/6/2017 7:33 PM

I bump bigger fish (45"+) but I do agree with his ideas. Of the 250+ muskie I have caught, I have never dropped one when picking it up or holding it for a picture. BUT when I put them on the bump board it is almost a guarantee they are going to start thrashing around which results in a fish either whacking its head a bunch or rolling around on the carpet. IMO this usually causes more damage then hooking and fighting the fish. I am very confident in fighting, unhooking, and holding the fish for a quick picture but putting them down on the bump always seems to cause issues.

Everyone here is always worried about vertical holds, fishing in 80+ temps, keeping fish out of water, etc. but you act like the fish rolling around on the carpet and whacking its head is no big deal. I would like so see some videos of people trying to put fish on the bump, hold them there, and get them back in the water without the fish going crazy and beating itself up. I can't imagine it only happens to me or the boats I am in...

I don't seem to have that issue.
Propster
Posted 9/6/2017 9:17 PM (#876830 - in reply to #876820)

fish4musky1 - 9/6/2017 7:33 PM

If that is consistently happening to you I agree, you should not bump fish!
fish4musky1
Posted 9/6/2017 9:29 PM (#876834 - in reply to #876830)

Maybe it's since I only bump larger fish (45"+) which are inherently tougher to handle due to size and strength? Again, never had an issue picking one up or holding for a pic but the second it hits the bump they seem to go crazy for me. I have actually never had one get away from me and flop around the boat (have seen it many times with others) but they almost always seem to thrash causing them the bang their head or exert tons of force on their lower jaw where I'm gripping them . It's not going to stop me from bumping them but I am just saying, I see his concern with people trying to bump fish and loosing control.
cabbage
Posted 9/6/2017 10:37 PM (#876838 - in reply to #876719)

More points for the board Bobby!
ToddM
Posted 9/6/2017 10:44 PM (#876839 - in reply to #876719)

I sleep on a giant bump board.
Clark A
Posted 9/6/2017 11:15 PM (#876840 - in reply to #876719)

There is too much potential for 50++ year olds leaning over the side of the boat to try to get a legit measurement with a floating stick without the potential of a fatal plunge. Let's not include those that don't take the hooks out of the fish, and doing the face to face photo op! If we could instill and live by, without ridicule or judgement, the standard guestimate of "Nice", "Large", or "Monster", then would there be less morality? Mr. Mania is correct about taking fish out of the water, but I am or will be guilty of doing this. The "Culture" of this is changing for the good, but due to Fishing Facts. In'Fisherman, Muskies Inc., and web-sites, fish will still be taken out of the water for photos. I did it twice today with a Lake Trout and a Northern, since I'm on a solo trip that the results have been so hideous. I'm sure both are fine, but there is/was potential for both not to survive or in the least being in a zip lock bag to cross the border to feed the overfed!
Propster
Posted 9/6/2017 11:23 PM (#876841 - in reply to #876719)

Morality good. Mortality bad.
oconesox
Posted 9/6/2017 11:24 PM (#876842 - in reply to #876719)

I have stopped using the flash on my camera due to the damage it might do to a musky's eyes.
supertrollr
Posted 9/7/2017 4:51 AM (#876844 - in reply to #876720)

Pike Master - 9/5/2017 10:11 PM

Not often, but they are a great tool to get an accurate measurement when a monster is landed. I really don't see the issue with a wet down high quality bump board, so I don't agree with Pete on this one. It should only be used for very large fish however, and used properly and efficiently. A floating ruler is a joke if you want an accurate measurement...

exactly what i would reply,another joke is a cradle measurement.if you know the fish is a 30 incher do a water release and forget bumpboard
tackleaddict
Posted 9/7/2017 7:23 AM (#876854 - in reply to #876839)

ToddM - 9/6/2017 10:44 PM

I sleep on a giant bump board.

Where can I get one of these giant bumpboards. 60" isn't big enough for our giant Michigan fish.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(15047854949271.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 15047854949271.jpg (154KB - 377 downloads)
Espy
Posted 9/7/2017 8:28 AM (#876869 - in reply to #876842)

oconesox - 9/6/2017 11:24 PM

I have stopped using the flash on my camera due to the damage it might do to a musky's eyes.

I keep a box of disposable sunglasses in the boat that I hand out for photo ops, best part is the fish go back looking super cool
14ledo81
Posted 9/7/2017 9:17 AM (#876875 - in reply to #876869)

Espy - 9/7/2017 8:28 AM

oconesox - 9/6/2017 11:24 PM

I keep a box of disposable sunglasses in the boat that I hand out for photo ops, best part is the fish go back looking super cool

I got the special eclipse glasses in case I had to take one out of the water at that time.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)