Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why no Split rings?

Message Subject: Why no Split rings?
52isntbigenough
Posted 9/3/2003 9:10 AM (#80441)
Subject: Why no Split rings?

Anybody know why Reefhawgs dont come with split rings? It's a royal pain in the keester to change out hooks as is.
Shep
Posted 9/3/2003 9:19 AM (#80443 - in reply to #80441)
Subject: RE: Why no Split rings?

I don't know either. Last fall, I had to cut the cotter pin to get the bait off a fish, and I wasn't able to find the right size, or the washer. I eneded up removing both from a new bait that I didn't like. I left a VM for Mike, but got no response.

Posted 9/3/2003 10:22 AM (#80453 - in reply to #80441)

Rather than cut the cotter pin, cut the shank on the hook if you can and then use a split ring to attach a new hook.

I as I cut hooks on reef hawgs, this is generally how I replace the hooks when necessary. On the 6" I tend to go with a short shank hook (depending on the size of the split ring) to avoid hooks tangling. A couple of times when the pin was twisted I've replaced the cotter pins with screw eyes and epoxied them in. Both cures seem to work fine.
GregM
Posted 9/3/2003 10:31 AM (#80455 - in reply to #80441)

I don't throw Reef Hawgs, but remember a post a while ago saying that split rings actually screw up the action on them.
Much better bait w/o the rings from my understanding.
52isntbigenough
Posted 9/3/2003 10:51 AM (#80458 - in reply to #80455)

I dunno about that one...Suicks and Bobbies have splits, does'nt seem to matter there. Rings or not, you still have wobbling hooks and there is'nt that much weight added by the rings.

My guess...cost

Posted 9/3/2003 11:08 AM (#80461 - in reply to #80441)

Some work fine with split rings others do not. Sometimes ones that don't work without work with. You never really know for sure until you try. It is a drag to cut the hoks off a good Reef Hawg and have it not work well after you add the split ring. I don't add split rings until I absolutely need to cut the hooks on the Hawgs I like. On the ones I don't like I add split rings to see if it will give it the action I want. Of course, everybody looks for a Reef Hawg to do something different so it is hard to know what someone else expects from the lure.

On the 6 inch Hawgs I replace the 3 smaller trables with 2 bigger ones on split rings. On the 8 inch ones I use a mustad 3/0 short shank on a split ring to replace all 3 trebles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)