Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> When to switch it up?

Message Subject: When to switch it up?
Musky_Mo16
Posted 4/18/2017 4:28 PM (#857660)
Subject: When to switch it up?

I assume most guys go out and start by throwing a bucktail. Especially late spring and summer. I normally always start by throwing a bucktail. How long do you guys wait until you decide whatever you are throwing just isn't getting there attention. By now everyone knows I'm new to the Muskie game. But when I'm bass fishing, if I have in a certain lure for over a half hour and don't get a bite I know it's time to change it up. But in that half hour while fishing for bass you brobaly bring your bait past 15+ bass. But when Muskie fishing in that same half hour you may only bring your bait past one Muskie, if that. So my question is, when musky fishing how long do you wait until it's time to try another lure? And when it is time to try something new, do you change up color or size first or go straight to a completely different type of lure?
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/18/2017 5:36 PM (#857673 - in reply to #857660)
Subject: Re: When to switch it up?

It's all in what lake I'm fishing. There are lakes I start with a suick or top water then if I see nothing after a hour might change. Every time you go out if you see a fish mark the spot icons are free . After awhile you will have spots all over the lake then you will have conference in the spots your fishing.and start to see patterns .If you fish a good spot and see nothing then try a different bait
T3clay
Posted 4/18/2017 11:02 PM (#857719 - in reply to #857660)

My mentor once told me to change it up as soon as you think you have went over a fish without a response. I dont often fish more than 20 minures withourlt changing, unless i have a reason not to change.
horsehunter
Posted 4/19/2017 7:26 AM (#857732 - in reply to #857660)

I don't switch very often I have fished my home lake going on 40 years so when I'm casting I'm usually fishing spots with a history. I have enough confidence in my firetiger Suick ( I have worn out baskets of them )and my Rob Dey spinnerbait which I named after my friend Joe ( Joe don't have much hair left either). I'm set up with 2 rods and 2 lures and that works for me. You can not catch every fish you go over your looking for active fish. In one radio tracking study on the Ottawa River people knew exactly where a tagged musky was and and could not entice a strike. Muskies will remain inactive for long periods of time. John Anderson talks of large muskies laying on the bottom of the Ottawa with a fine layer of silt on their backs indicating long inactivity. He talks of all the lamprey scars being on the back indicating they have been belly to the bottom. Fortunately all fish are not inactive at the same time and there are those wonderful periods when most are active. I have never heard of a tournament when all the fish were caught on 1 specific lure or even 1 specific colour. The best muskie fisherman I ever knew only owned 6 lures ( all black ) if he had of passed those smarts to me I would have a lot more money in the bank.
muskidiem
Posted 4/19/2017 8:07 AM (#857736 - in reply to #857660)
Subject: RE: When to switch it up?

I fish sporadically over a season, but always target muskies. I switch a few times a day if no/slow action, but a friend of mine was one or two lures all day. Can't say it tended to matter much in who caught one, but you have to lock in a pattern and you can't do that by too much switching. I agree with the bass to muskie ratio, and would suggest staying true to a lure for an hour, but change if you change depth, structure as well. I usually go out with a handful of my fav lures.
25homes
Posted 4/19/2017 10:00 AM (#857752 - in reply to #857660)

Last time I fished with a guide he had me throwing same lure for first 6 hours then finally switched for last 2 hours to jig
Ross K
Posted 4/19/2017 10:15 AM (#857754 - in reply to #857660)

When you loose confidence in a bait, or presentation, or location... that's when you should switch it up. Try something new, find something that works.... then go with that until the confidence is again shaken... and repeat....
Iwrush
Posted 4/19/2017 6:08 PM (#857837 - in reply to #857660)

I constantly switch it up. (Maybe too much). I may throw 3-4 presentations at a specific rock point/ weedline in an hrs time. I will continue to do so until follows or a hookup occurs. Normally in the 2nd or 3rd bit of action I will have the presentation pinned. That being said I have had many days changing lures, depths, patterns all day long with only a head scratch at the end of the day. Good luck.
Fishysam
Posted 4/19/2017 8:06 PM (#857875 - in reply to #857660)

I'll start with three different depth lure of different sizes and boat partner has a fourth/fith I'll throw all three of mine in the first 30 minutes. Then after that I'll switch two of the three and use all three about an hour or so. Is it weird that immediately after a lazy follow that lure goes away and it is upsized/downsized along with a color change, or if it's a inline spinner it may get changed to a safety pin style spinner bait.

I have also thrown a lure one cast and just wasn't feeling it for whatever reason and took it off.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)