Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Melted/sticky paint

Message Subject: Melted/sticky paint
obsessed_angler
Posted 3/19/2017 2:39 PM (#854046)
Subject: Melted/sticky paint

What do you guys do when your wooden painted lures get sticky/paint melts and runs. Im not sure if this is from the bait contacting a rubber bait in your tackle box or hot weather or both.

Is there a way to fix the "sticky" portions of the lure, or do I just need to either deal with it or strip and repaint.

Thanks in advance.
Sam
esoxaddict
Posted 3/19/2017 4:57 PM (#854058 - in reply to #854046)
Subject: Re: Melted/sticky paint

Acetone on a rag. If you really care about the finish, yes, stripping and repainting is the best solution. Once rubber reacts with paint, it basically dissolves the paint leaving a sticky mess that will not go away. What I do is pour a bit of acetone on a rag I don't are about, rub the sticky crap off, and if it's a lure that I really care about preserving brush on some nail polish or clear 5 min epoxy. For the rest? Bah. Muskies are going to wreck the paint anyway. Most lures seem to work better once they are beat up and soak up some water. The only ones I really do anything with are the ones where hooks swing up and get stuck in the wood, fouling the lure. Otherwise? Fish 'em.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)