Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reef hawg question

Message Subject: Reef hawg question
steelfooter
Posted 1/1/2017 8:48 PM (#844844)
Subject: Reef hawg question

I have had a reef hawg for years that is my go to bait. I have resharpened the hooks to nubs now and I am wondering; if I cut the hooks off and replace them with a split ring and hooks, is this going to disturb the action? I can't imagine that it would but if anybody has any experience with this it would be much appreciated.
Slime King
Posted 1/1/2017 8:59 PM (#844847 - in reply to #844844)
Subject: Re: Reef hawg question

It's best not to split ring them on. It does change the action. Take a flat tip screw driver and pry the cotter pin up from the back of the bait. Straighten it out and pull it out the belly side so you can remove the hook. You should be able to reuse the cotter pin once without it breaking. If not you can replace it with a stainless steel cotter. An 8" reef hawg uses a 5/0 eagle claw 774 as a hook if you want to replace the hook with one the original style.
NathanH
Posted 1/1/2017 9:17 PM (#844849 - in reply to #844847)

I like split rings on the 8" hawgs. That's just me.
Jeremy
Posted 1/1/2017 11:24 PM (#844863 - in reply to #844844)

Put split rings on them. I do plus all my Suicks and Bobby's and it'll still work fine.

I wouldn't mess with the integrity of the cotter pins.
wisriverrat
Posted 1/2/2017 8:29 PM (#844924 - in reply to #844844)
Subject: RE: Reef hawg question

I have caught many fish on Reef Hawgs I put split rings on the front and middle hooks does not effect the action and improves hook ups
Matt DeVos
Posted 1/3/2017 9:18 AM (#844946 - in reply to #844844)
Subject: RE: Reef hawg question

steelfooter - 1/1/2017 8:48 PM

I have had a reef hawg for years that is my go to bait. I have resharpened the hooks to nubs now and I am wondering; if I cut the hooks off and replace them with a split ring and hooks, is this going to disturb the action? I can't imagine that it would but if anybody has any experience with this it would be much appreciated.

In my experience, it seemed to vary bait-to-bait. I don't use reef hawgs much anymore, but used to throw them a lot. I caught quite a few on a certain 6", to the point where virtually no paint remained and was heavily chewed. Its action remained great until I had to cut hooks and went to the split rings. Unfortunately, it never worked the same again.

But also had an 8" that previously went through the same scenario and action seemed to be unaffected.

Had another special 6" where I had to do the same thing. Action was still OK, but not quite what it used to be.

Slime King
Posted 1/3/2017 10:14 AM (#844951 - in reply to #844844)

My experience as well. Most seem to run best without split rings....just my experience.
barbless-bob
Posted 1/6/2017 9:20 AM (#845273 - in reply to #844844)

i have been using reef hawgs for over 12 yrs , my main bait, if you use it alot (i always have a fav that seems to spend alot on time in the water) you must change the cotter pins once in a while regardless if the hooks are still good. they do wear out.
love those baits, if your a reef hater send them my way
steelfooter
Posted 1/8/2017 3:17 PM (#845427 - in reply to #844844)

So a couple questions further if you guys don't mind. Is there a right or wrong way to exchange the cotter pins? Any idea on the size? With regards to the back hook, just unscrew and re glue, or replace with a larger diameter eyelet?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)