Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> auto pilot question

Reply New post
Message Subject: auto pilot question
Matt Collins
Posted 7/8/2003 12:23 PM (#75310)
Subject: auto pilot question

Does anyone know if the auto pilots or powerdrives will fit my existing genesis quick release bracket? Don't want to drill any new holes in the bow.
stephendawg
Posted 7/8/2003 2:21 PM (#75319 - in reply to #75310)
Subject: RE: aouto pilot question

I don't recall by memory but your Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops catalogue will tell you how they cross reference. My gut is telling me they're not the same though. However, I've been wrong many times before. Especially when it come to thinking I'm going to catch a musky....(sigh!)

GregM
Posted 7/9/2003 3:28 PM (#75416 - in reply to #75310)
Subject: RE: aouto pilot question

Matt, sorry but they won't. The genesis is much larger and it's own design.
curious to know why you are switching, I am using my my first Genesis this summer and it is awesome.
Matt Collins
Posted 7/21/2003 9:09 PM (#76472 - in reply to #75310)
Subject: RE: auto pilot question

I hope you got a good one. I have gone through four units back and forth with minnkota since october 2001. The one I have now works fine , but the auto pilot feature is practically useless on my unit. I turn it on and it wil repeatedly ratchet back and forth. Minnkota told me that the compass is out of calibration. The unit isn't even a year old. My past units suffered from steering mechanism failure. Minn kota has replaced three of the units so far without question, but do you really want to be out in boofoo and have your motor go down. I think that's why Pete Maina went back to the auto pilot and ditched the Genesis. I hope I finally got a good one. Peace.
GregM
Posted 7/22/2003 9:29 AM (#76513 - in reply to #75310)

Sorry to hear of you problems with the Genesis, again mine is my first but so far I love it.

I ordered this motor for the 74# thrust in Auto-pilot, didn't think the 65# was enough oomph to pull around a 19'5" boat. The other "bells and whistles" didn't really interest me, but had no choice if I wanted that much thrust in an Auto-Pilot.

After fishing all season and especially after a week on LOTW, I'm really glad I had the Genesis, I don't know how many times we were trolling around and was able to just raise it up out of the way of a rock that went from 12' to 6" in a heartbeat.

My head too ratches around in Auto-Pilot once in a while, actually the past 3 AP's I have had did the same thing, Genesis or not but couldn't figure out why.
Roger pointed out that he has a friend that has the same problem, but only on certain lakes where there is heavy Iron Ore deposits.
On LOTW it always did it in the same bays in the same spots. It wouldn't go crazy and spin around, but would suddenly point sideways, then after a few seconds correct itself....but go back and forth like that quite a bit.
We attributed it to Iron Ore deposits in those areas. It really didn't hinder our fishing, but did get annoying, but once we left that area it didn't do it.

I'm thinking it has to do with metal/magnetic/hocus pocus stuff in certain areas that will screw up the compass.......dunno, just a thought, but that's what we narrowed it down too.
Good luck with your new unit.
sworrall
Posted 7/22/2003 1:05 PM (#76549 - in reply to #76513)

If you decide to change over to an Auto Pilot, ou can buy a removable bracket and base that will cover the holes left from the other motor.

I have the new 65 APD with the Copilot. That is a cool little gizmo, and it works really well.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)