Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New to musky and need some help.

Message Subject: New to musky and need some help.
Posted 9/28/2017 2:26 PM (#879555)
Subject: New to musky and need some help.

Im saving up some money to get a nice set up, id be fishing from a fishing kayak or boat. The rod ive been looking at is St. Croix Mojo Musky Rod in MH Fast action with a line weight of 20-50lbs and a lure weight of 3/4-3oz. Ill be fishing Lake Ontario mostly, now out there i catch a lot of pike that average 20-30 inches but once i get my fishing kayak that can handle choppy waters i want to venture into deeper waters and hunt bigger fish will this pole with some 50lb braided and some 3oz lures give me a return on some big fish or should i go bigger? Pike and Musky are my primary targets but i opted for the 3'4-3oz blank so i can fish some smaller lures since im not financially stable enough to have multiple rods and want to be able to fish a wide variety of waters and smaller stuff too. Ive always fished my friends gear and we just slap stuff on and dont go by recommendations by gear so i need some solid advice here also any reel recommendations? Most im willing to spend is 200 and i have a local bass pro but could order from online.
sworrall
Posted 9/28/2017 2:59 PM (#879558 - in reply to #879555)
Subject: Re: New to musky and need some help.

My son fishes out a canoe and a kayak quite a bit. He uses a TI 7'6" XH and can pretty much throw everything with it. If he has two anglers in his Golden Hawk, he uses a TI 6' MH rated to 4 ounce lures. He's whipped some big fish on that $60 rod.

https://tackleindustries.com/shop/musky_pike_bass_walleye_crappie_fi...

https://tackleindustries.com/shop/musky_pike_bass_walleye_crappie_fi...
muddymusky
Posted 9/28/2017 3:31 PM (#879560 - in reply to #879555)
Subject: RE: New to musky and need some help.

Good luck 6688846993!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/29/2017 12:29 PM (#879659 - in reply to #879555)

Just up your line to 80lb with quality leaders and you're good to go. I'd look for a Abu Garcia Revo S 60.
NPike
Posted 9/29/2017 4:39 PM (#879690 - in reply to #879659)

It's hard to get 1 rod that covers the smaller stick-baits and spinners often used for pike-bass and that will also cover the larger musky baits. Consider the weight of the range of baits you intend to throw.

Rods that handle even a moderate size range of musky baits (say 1.5 oz. to (3 to 4 oz.)) can be too heavy for (3/8 to 1.5) oz. range baits commonly used for pike-bass, etc..

Perhaps consider getting 2 rods.
A 1st rod for pike-bass-whatever. Perhaps rated at ~(0.5 to 1.5 ) oz. Which covers a range of small to moderate pike baits.
A 2nd rod ~(1 to 4) oz. musky rod. Which covers a wide range of smaller to moderate sized proven musky baits.

Then just take the rod for what you want to target at the time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)