Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling motor platform

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling motor platform
djwilliams
Posted 6/22/2003 12:28 AM (#73924)
Subject: Trolling motor platform

Putting a new All Terrain on the bow of my 16 ft Lund. Can't get a solid flat surface to mount the motor bracket because the bow plate and plywood aren't flush-unless I use some skimpy plywood. Can I remove the aluminum bow plate on the boat and replace it with a sturdy piece of 3/4 inch plywood to get a level surface to mount the bracket? Is this a bad practice? I don't plan to ram anything.
Thanks,
Don
cincinnati
Posted 6/25/2003 4:29 PM (#74226 - in reply to #73924)
Subject: RE: Trolling motor platform

Assuming that we're talking about the same part, I would not permanently remove the bow plate from your boat. Believe that would compromise the rigidity of your gunnels/hull.

My trolling motor is mounted on an aluminum plate, 6.5" x 6.5" x .500" thick, which is fastened to my "bow plate" w/4 screws. Fashioned 4 spacers from aluminum tube to level the mounting plate.

Posted 6/26/2003 8:08 PM (#74358 - in reply to #73924)
Subject: RE: Trolling motor platform

I also have a 16' Lund Rebel. I mounted my Minn Kota slide bracket to a new top plate exactly like you want to do. It is very ridged.

I used 3/4" plywood and mounted the red marine carpet to is. The deck is as large as I could make it and also makes a good casting platform for my son.It does not stick out beyond the sides of the bow!
There is plenty of space to stand with each foot adjacent to the trolling motor. I used 3 rubber spring extenders that you can buy at an auto store. (those rubber blockes that we used to mount between the coil springs to raise the rear end) Turn them sideways to support the deck on the bow and mounted another one under the front end of the trolling motor bracket. Worked out perfect.
I realize this may be difficult to understand.
e-mail me if you ned to and I can send a photo or two after I return after the July 4th week.
[email protected]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)