Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Jig Ripper- Love it or Hate it?

Message Subject: Jig Ripper- Love it or Hate it?
CRK925
Posted 6/1/2020 8:00 PM (#960652)
Subject: Jig Ripper- Love it or Hate it?

I bought a jig ripper earlier this year, hoping it would help with leverage on the hookset when fishing bulldawgs. I've yet to install it, because I don't like how far forward I grip the rod-it puts me in an awkward position for reeling. This coming from someone who always palms reels.

Anyone have any thoughts, especially in regards to fishing plastics?

vegas492
Posted 6/2/2020 9:15 AM (#960669 - in reply to #960652)
Subject: Re: Jig Ripper- Love it or Hate it?

I bought one....and I did like how it set up. No problem with hookset. Did have to get used to it when doing a figure 8. Seemed to always get hung up on me and created and awkward movement, so I took it off.
My wife, though, got one and she LOVES it! That thing is the ONLY reason she can cast all day. She's caught many fish with it on her rod, no issues whatsoever.

I think if you have it, commit to it for a long period of time and get used to it. I probably didn't give it long enough, but it is still in my shop and ready to be put back on.
happy hooker
Posted 6/2/2020 1:26 PM (#960693 - in reply to #960669)

The first hour you use it you hate it and plan to bring it to the next swap meet.
By hour three you wouldn't sell it for anything,,really shines for burning bucktails takes all the pressure off your wrists
The other very nice advantage too is in late fall COLD water temps it keeps one of your hands farther away from the reel and all the cold spray that would hit your hand or glove while reeling.
stdevos
Posted 6/2/2020 3:49 PM (#960699 - in reply to #960652)

I purchased one to use with d10s, specifically for extended trips where you are putting in several consecutive full days burning bucktails. I am, generally, not a fan. Like others have said, it puts you in an awkward position especially for figure eighting. I found it can be nice for a change of pace during the doldrums, but I think it inhibits you from triggering fish. When fish activity picks up, I take it off immediately. It is nice for vertical jigging though.

I think the jig ripper reel seat is far superior although perhaps not cost effective. I've only used it for a few hours but it allows you to palm the reel and gives you more stability overall without affecting how you would traditionally hold the rod/reel.
Stealthski
Posted 6/2/2020 4:33 PM (#960701 - in reply to #960652)

I find that the Jig Ripper puts the reel closer to my body when reeling and I end up brushing my shirt or coat when reeling if I'm not paying attention. Other than that, the help with wear and tear on my wrist is incredible! There is a solution if you use the Revolution reel seat by Pac Bay. It incorporates a stubby handle underneath the seat for palming but you can order a longer one just like the Jig Ripper handle so when you hold it, it's right under the seat and puts your reel in a more normal position that you're used to. Outdoor grips (the Jig Ripper people) sells the longer custom handles that fit that seat so it's just like the Jig Ripper but with a better position. I have put two Revolution seats on poles I custom made and found out that is a welcome improvement over the Jig Ripper.
Musky Face
Posted 6/2/2020 8:56 PM (#960707 - in reply to #960652)

Love it!! Won't fish without one!!
BNelson
Posted 6/3/2020 9:32 AM (#960721 - in reply to #960707)

had one, used it for 15 minutes and did not like it at all... sold it.
mikie
Posted 6/3/2020 11:24 AM (#960727 - in reply to #960652)

I have two and won't give them up. My only complaint is the saddle is a bit too big and you have to tape up your handle to get it to grip the rod right. Got me away from palming the reel, my left hand appreciates it. m
Jeff Hanson
Posted 6/3/2020 3:47 PM (#960746 - in reply to #960727)

I love it. Takes a day to get used to but wouldn't fish with out one now for blades and hard pulling cranks. I like the cork one better than the plastic. Also have a wrapped one same size as the cork that is great also. Been a pain saver on Canada trips especially throwing blades 12-14hrs a day
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
tundrawalker00
Posted 6/3/2020 4:40 PM (#960749 - in reply to #960746)

I'm righty but crank left. I was having numbness in my fingertips the day after fishing (probably carpal tunnel). I bought one and decided to put it on the big rubber rod, but it may be moving over to the Slingblade because I threw a couple D10s on it and what a difference. I was like the others who wanted to throw it in the lake/sell it/swap it in the first hour, but it really does relieve hand and wrist pain. Have not hooked up on it yet or thrown it that much, but I can see the potential and like I said, it's probably going on the blades rod.

One other thing: The Mojo 8'6" I have it on has the bare blank split grip. Pipe insulation makes that so much more comfortable when used with this grip, at least for me.
BigMo
Posted 6/3/2020 7:36 PM (#960759 - in reply to #960652)
Subject: RE: Jig Ripper- Love it or Hate it?

Really like Jig Rippers.

Currently have one each for jig, rubber and D10 bucktail rods...….one original, one cork, one soft wrap. Each is on a Big Nasty rod. I like the soft wrap best, then cork. Will be getting one for each remaining rod as well, except my glide bait rod.

Grip position with the ripper does not cause fatigue. And, like Jeff Hanson indicated, after a week casting D10s (or any bucktails for that matter) you don't have a claw hand when you get home and forearms don't cramp up after an hour of fishing a month after you get back from Canada.

BigMo / Mike Morse
RyanJoz
Posted 6/8/2020 8:54 AM (#961007 - in reply to #960652)

could not stand it. i prefer the palming seat on the St Croix LT rods by a long shot. No more blisters between fingers and palms more naturally.
OH Musky
Posted 6/8/2020 4:42 PM (#961044 - in reply to #960652)

I have them on all my heavy 8’6” and 9’ rods and my wife has them on both her rods. Definitely easier pulling rubber and large blades. Don’t care for them on rods used for jerk baits or gliders and smaller Crankbaits. They do keep my hands from aching at the end of a long day or multiple days on the water.
Muskyrookie
Posted 11/11/2020 8:03 PM (#968841 - in reply to #961044)

This has been my first season casting for these beasts and my rod wrist was taking a beating. I came across these on a video and decided to buy a pair. Put one on my 9'3" xheavy and wow what a difference. I got the 1 cork and 1 thats wrapped. It makes ripping big cranks, big bucktails, and rubber alot easier. They do take a while to get used to especially when trying to engage the reel when the bait is just about to hit water but once that awkwardness is over you're smiling like a butchers dog ( thats for you mike!). Time will tell how durable they are but wet clawhand is mostly in the past. Hands still get a little wet but its much easier to hold onto. I won't put one on my lighter stuff, jerk, glider rods because I like better control though. But heavier baits all day! The best part is if you don't want to use it just take it off for a while then have it ready when you do.
7ovr50
Posted 11/15/2020 5:57 AM (#968967 - in reply to #960652)

I hated mine. It lasted one trip on the rod. It now resides in my "wish I never bought it" box in the garage!
OH Musky
Posted 11/15/2020 7:20 AM (#968969 - in reply to #968967)

7ovr50 - 11/15/2020 6:57 AM

I hated mine. It lasted one trip on the rod. It now resides in my "wish I never bought it" box in the garage!

Send it to me. Always good to have an extra in the boat. And it will help declutter your garage.
southern comfort
Posted 11/15/2020 7:52 AM (#968970 - in reply to #960652)

I have found 2 uses that it works well. The first is with my wife who gets better leverage with heavier baits. The second is with big bulldawgs in really cold weather.
mikie
Posted 11/15/2020 8:50 AM (#968973 - in reply to #960652)

Anyone try one on a net handle? I usually net solo, not sure it would help of not? m
TCESOX
Posted 11/15/2020 12:11 PM (#968978 - in reply to #968973)

mikie - 11/15/2020 8:50 AM

Anyone try one on a net handle? I usually net solo, not sure it would help of not? m

I was thinking the same thing. I have one that I have never used on a rod, but was thinking that it could help on the net. I would think it could give better leverage as you are rotating the hoop after the fish enters.
Muskyrookie
Posted 11/15/2020 12:33 PM (#968980 - in reply to #968978)

If it fits around the handle if would help out. Only downside would be collapsing it for storage. Probably strip out the plastic with repeated removal. Other than that, stick the butt in your armpit and have better reach and control!!! Especially 1 handed
OH Musky
Posted 11/15/2020 5:02 PM (#968984 - in reply to #960652)

Mounting on a net handle is one of the uses but when I tried it on mine, it was harder to control. Maybe it’s just me but netting solo without the jig ripper installed is easier.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/16/2020 8:59 PM (#969033 - in reply to #960652)

Love them! You have to use it for more than 15 minutes though. Need to try it for a full day. Used to HATE split grips too, then I stepped on my full grip and had a split grip backup rod.... Love them now too. Give them a chance and you will love them. The reel seat is 2x better too! Love those. and so much, I put them on over 500 rods so far for my biz brand of mucky rods and even bass and inshore rods too!
southern comfort
Posted 11/17/2020 8:32 AM (#969038 - in reply to #960652)

In re to using them on nets ... I use them all the time when fishing solo. They make a huge difference and are very helpful
kjgmh
Posted 11/18/2020 10:53 AM (#969055 - in reply to #960652)

Maybe I am just rough on stuff, but I have pulled the threaded insert out of 2 of them. Where great when they worked, but both pulled out after less than 10 hours of use.
MNSteveH
Posted 11/29/2020 8:24 PM (#969279 - in reply to #960652)

I like mine. I only have it on one rod that I use for D10’s and other straight/speed retrieve baits. Would not throw D10’s any other way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)