Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Minnesota Muskie Season Closure

Message Subject: Minnesota Muskie Season Closure
Nershi
Posted 12/2/2015 5:21 PM (#794902)
Subject: Minnesota Muskie Season Closure

Does anyone know the reason the DNR closes the muskie season in MN at the start of December? Back when they made the laws they probably never had open water to fish in December, other than a few rivers. Our Fall freeze up seems to be trending later and later. A year like this where there are several lakes you can still get a boat in may be the norm in the not so distant future.

The only reason I could think of is they don't want people targeting them through the ice. I understand the reason for that. If that was the reason they could just put a restriction on ice fishing them and leave the season open until January or February.

Most lakes you can't ice fish on right now. I really don't feel like chasing upland and ducks are closed. It sure would be nice to be slinging baits this weekend!
bturg
Posted 12/2/2015 5:46 PM (#794905 - in reply to #794902)
Subject: Re: Minnesota Muskie Season Closure

My understanding is it was an ice fishing issue. The law is fairly new and like you I would rather be slinging baits.

In the end it probably averages out on years that we loose a few days vs last year when we were locked out before the 15th of Nov.
14ledo81
Posted 12/2/2015 6:25 PM (#794910 - in reply to #794902)

What is bad about targeting them through the ice?
fishpoop
Posted 12/2/2015 11:46 PM (#794963 - in reply to #794910)

14ledo81 - 12/2/2015 6:25 PM

Problem was most ice fisherman are not dedicated muskie nuts and if they caught a muskie they'd keep it rather than release it. So to cut down on that they made the new law closing the season on Dec 1. At least that is my recollection of what happened.

Back in '99 we had another warm fall and my last day of muskie fishing that year was Dec. 5th. Caught two fish in 15 minutes that day from my boat. Of course they hadn't put the new law in place then.

Edited by fishpoop 12/2/2015 11:48 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/3/2015 7:34 AM (#794970 - in reply to #794902)

I actually spoke to a fisheries supervisor and told him the trouble I had with the season closing Dec. 1st. I suggested just making ice fishing illegal for them and then closing Jan 1st. He seemed to understand, but I doubt he cared enough to do anything about it.
14ledo81
Posted 12/3/2015 8:25 AM (#794980 - in reply to #794963)

fishpoop - 12/2/2015 11:46 PM

Problem was most ice fisherman are not dedicated muskie nuts and if they caught a muskie they'd keep it rather than release it. So to cut down on that they made the new law closing the season on Dec 1. At least that is my recollection of what happened.

Not sure I follow that logic. What would stop the "not dedicated muskie nut" from keeping a muskie during the summer?

Not trying to argue with you. I understand you are just relaying information you had heard. I am just trying to learn something here.
BrianF.
Posted 12/3/2015 8:31 AM (#794982 - in reply to #794902)

Bturg, maybe you can work your magic like you did with the MN bass season closure date?? You know people...

None of these non-sensical fishing season dates are written in stone and should be changed IMO. What harm is there in fishing for muskies in open water in December vs. November or any other month for that matter?? The Dec. 1st date seems arbitrary vs. the perceived problem of ice fishing for them. Make the reg apply to ice fishing and not use an arbitrary date. Or, make it C&R only during certain periods of the year if they are concerned. The new 54" length limit might have addressed the concern that caused the Dec. 1st closure date anyway.
happy hooker
Posted 12/3/2015 9:22 AM (#794998 - in reply to #794982)

Science and conservation aside,,,,just personally the Dec 1st closing may save my life.
One Dec 9th or so we were out on leech in walker bay in 4 ft rollers trolling open water dodging ice flows because we had the water,,,and we,d be stupid enough to do it again.

FYI,,,,,originally Dec 15th was the closing that muskie groups wanted but the dnr wanted Dec 1st,,,very rarely even in metro is water ice free after Dec 15th.

I.think.a nice angle would be to allow musky fishing continuously on the Mississippi from ford dam down to st Croix,,,,their in there and if your hard core you can sling lures and try and find em,,,might even let us do some private stocking in there to enhance it. The Mississippi is open most winters the lakes "might"be open in Dec some years,,

Edited by happy hooker 12/3/2015 9:49 AM
Skinny
Posted 12/3/2015 11:07 AM (#795021 - in reply to #794902)

I would think the new 54 inch min size regulation should pretty much eliminate ice fisherman from keeping muskies....why not extend the season?
rodbender
Posted 12/3/2015 11:13 AM (#795025 - in reply to #795021)

While I have never caught a musky thru the ice, I would think it to be hard to revive one if needed? Perhaps this is another reason for Dec 1st end? I'm fine with the season ending as it is. Most years ice has formed by the date.
Nershi
Posted 12/3/2015 11:18 AM (#795027 - in reply to #794902)

If they extend the date I would like to see ice fishing restricted. Reviving fish would be difficult unless you cut a large hole with an ice saw. The time the fish would be out of the water would be extended especially with deeply hooked fish. If the temps are extremely cold the fish would be susceptible to blinding from frostbite to the eyes. I wouldn't be too worried about people keeping them, especially with the 54 minimum. I'd be more worried about the well being of the fish. Just my two cents.
fishpoop
Posted 12/4/2015 12:35 AM (#795153 - in reply to #794980)

14ledo81 - 12/3/2015 8:25 AM

fishpoop - 12/2/2015 11:46 PM

Not sure I follow that logic. What would stop the "not dedicated muskie nut" from keeping a muskie during the summer?

Not trying to argue with you. I understand you are just relaying information you had heard. I am just trying to learn something here.

I don't have an answer for you.

I just vaguely recall that was one of the reasons given for picking a Dec 1 season closing date.

As you may have noticed, biology and science seems to have little to do with fisheries management anymore and it boils down to political decisions, from what I can see. Look at the Mille Lacs walleye, and Pelican Lake muskie stocking, debacle. That's my opinion anyway, for whatever that is worth. (not much)

Edited by fishpoop 12/4/2015 12:43 AM
tackleaddict
Posted 12/4/2015 9:51 AM (#795183 - in reply to #795027)

I don't think reviving is necessary in 32deg water. as for the blinding, a reasonable compromise could be only being allowed to target musky in a heated shanty. I always wanted to hook and line sight-fish for muskies through a big hole on LSC here. I sight fish perch a lot and see a nice ski every now and again down there. They usually swim around slow looking around at your perch stuff as you pull it all in frantically, then they leave like a big silver ghost. It would be fun to drop a sucker or bondy bait down to one and watch him eat it. It would be easy to take care of the fish inside the shanty too. If you don't buy the reviving argument it would be easy to revive a musky inside a shanty with a "spearing hole" that are so common here on LSC, with the perch spearing season and all. Just my $.02.
Nershi
Posted 12/4/2015 10:12 AM (#795188 - in reply to #794902)

Tackleaddict, I agree under those conditions it would be safe for the fish. With a large "spear hole" you could actually keep the fish in the water while unhooking it. Aaron Weibe from uncut angling has a pretty cool video of sight fishing trout through the ice and he actually nets the fish through the spear hole to avoid having to take them out of the water. It would be fun to try targeting muskies that way.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/4/2015 10:21 AM (#795190 - in reply to #795188)

Actually, revival of a fish under those cold conditions would not be an issue. Too me, it's an issue of having the fish exposed to extreme cold temps and freezing their gills and fins. This is why I'm against ice fishing for muskies. Even for any species, you need to limit their exposure to the extreme cold if you plan to release them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the season open for a couple more weeks. But ice fishing for them is just plain dumb. I'd say leave the fish alone and target another species. They've been harassed enough all year.

EDIT: Tackleaddicts post is right. Being in a shanty would be fine for the fish. Still, I'd say leave the fish alone to let them recuperate so they are dumb in the spring again.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 12/4/2015 10:26 AM
Muskie Treats
Posted 12/9/2015 2:43 PM (#795776 - in reply to #794902)

As one that played a part in the closing I can shed some light on the history a little.

Years ago there was a VERY big issue one some of the states smaller muskie lakes with harvest. I'm talking keeping 25-50 fish out of a 200 fish population ANNUALLY! There are some very targeted patterns for these fish on several (maybe most) lakes once the ice comes. This is back in the days of 40" size limits mind you (dating myself now...).

Like what has been mentioned, we originally wanted a Dec 15th closure date, but at the time the department thought Dec 1st was the best date for a few reasons. They didn't want to make this more of an open water vs. ice fishing guy battle for one. Dec 1st is also the first day of the spearing season (make your own inferences here).

At the end of the day we agreed, not because it was the perfect reg, but rather it accomplished what we were trying to protect at a bare minimum of pain to the average angler. If you look at most years, we're locked up by now (northern MN has been for a bit). Also, unless you don't work you are really looking at missing a weekend day or two after having 180 days to chase them the rest of the season. Let me ask you this: is that extra day or two worth having some lakes fleeced by icefishermen?

Regarding to the NEW 54" limit; there as been some talk about revisiting this reg since for all practical purposes we have a C&R reg on our lakes (especially so on the more vulnerable lakes). I wouldn't expect the change anytime soon, as nothing in the DNR moves fast (and for good reason).
NathanH
Posted 12/9/2015 4:02 PM (#795785 - in reply to #795776)

Muskie Treats - 12/9/2015 2:43 PM

As one that played a part in the closing I can shed some light on the history a little.

Years ago there was a VERY big issue one some of the states smaller muskie lakes with harvest. I'm talking keeping 25-50 fish out of a 200 fish population ANNUALLY! There are some very targeted patterns for these fish on several (maybe most) lakes once the ice comes. This is back in the days of 40" size limits mind you (dating myself now...).

Like what has been mentioned, we originally wanted a Dec 15th closure date, but at the time the department thought Dec 1st was the best date for a few reasons. They didn't want to make this more of an open water vs. ice fishing guy battle for one. Dec 1st is also the first day of the spearing season (make your own inferences here).

At the end of the day we agreed, not because it was the perfect reg, but rather it accomplished what we were trying to protect at a bare minimum of pain to the average angler. If you look at most years, we're locked up by now (northern MN has been for a bit). Also, unless you don't work you are really looking at missing a weekend day or two after having 180 days to chase them the rest of the season. Let me ask you this: is that extra day or two worth having some lakes fleeced by icefishermen?

Regarding to the NEW 54" limit; there as been some talk about revisiting this reg since for all practical purposes we have a C&R reg on our lakes (especially so on the more vulnerable lakes). I wouldn't expect the change anytime soon, as nothing in the DNR moves fast (and for good reason).

Thanks for the great post. Nice to know and I think it makes a lot of sense.
Smell_Esox
Posted 1/29/2016 1:51 PM (#801988 - in reply to #794902)

Yes, this closure was initiated by anglers, not the DNR.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 2/1/2016 6:39 AM (#802288 - in reply to #794970)

Kirby Budrow - 12/3/2015 8:34 AM

I actually spoke to a fisheries supervisor and told him the trouble I had with the season closing Dec. 1st. I suggested just making ice fishing illegal for them and then closing Jan 1st. He seemed to understand, but I doubt he cared enough to do anything about it.

This is pretty much how our season works. Goes a little later and muskies are off limits through the ice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)