Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Toyota Tacoma

Reply New post
Message Subject: Toyota Tacoma
tolle141
Posted 12/6/2015 6:09 PM (#795422)
Subject: Toyota Tacoma

Anybody have one with the V6? What's it like to tow? I currently have an F150, but will be changing in early 2017. I could always go silverado or F150 again, but the Tacoma just looks so fun and a mid-size fits my needs better than a full-size (city driving/parking, grouse hunting logging trails, backcountry camping). Colorado has good stats, but the styling is a major turnoff.

I have a crestliner fish hawk 1850.

Thanks!
Paul S
Posted 12/6/2015 6:33 PM (#795431 - in reply to #795422)
Subject: Re: Toyota Tacoma

I have a 2008 Tacoma 4-door with the V6 and it has been a great truck. Nothing but routine maintenance in my 6 years. I have a 17'5" semi-deep V Lowe's boat with a 70 HP and it tows my boat great. Granted, your Fish Hawk is a little heavier but the Tacoma will handle it with no problems. As I boat shop I am looking at the Lund 1875 and 18'-19' fiberglass bass boats which are in the same range as your Fish Hawk. I have no doubts the Tacoma will handle any of those boats fine. With the towing package the Tacoma is rated for up to 6500 lbs. Now mileage is another story. The mileage is awful when towing. I calculated my mileage once on a trip home from Kentucky Lake and I was around 12 mpg. I've never calculated it since. Just an FYI, I'm going to be replacing my Tacoma with another in a few years. I too am turned off by the Colorado's styling. Just yesterday I was parked next to one and gave it a real long look and didn't really like it.
bryantukkah
Posted 12/6/2015 6:36 PM (#795433 - in reply to #795422)
Subject: RE: Toyota Tacoma

My good friend has a 2013 tacoma 4x4 v6. He tows an 1850 lund with it and loves it. It wont tow quite like a full size v8 but its plenty of motor to tow your boat. Theyre by far and away the best light truck on the market, the other one you mentioned wont hold a candle to that toyota. Good luck.
backdraft
Posted 12/6/2015 7:14 PM (#795444 - in reply to #795433)

bryantukkah - 12/6/2015 6:36 PM

My good friend has a 2013 tacoma 4x4 v6. He tows an 1850 lund with it and loves it. It wont tow quite like a full size v8 but its plenty of motor to tow your boat. Theyre by far and away the best light truck on the market, the other one you mentioned wont hold a candle to that toyota. Good luck.

Best light truck on the market is an opinion. In my opinion, my Nissian Frontier is much better then my previously owned Toyota Tacoma

Backdraft
tolle141
Posted 12/6/2015 7:36 PM (#795447 - in reply to #795431)

Paul S - 12/6/2015 6:33 PM

I have a 2008 Tacoma 4-door with the V6 and it has been a great truck. Nothing but routine maintenance in my 6 years. I have a 17'5" semi-deep V Lowe's boat with a 70 HP and it tows my boat great. Granted, your Fish Hawk is a little heavier but the Tacoma will handle it with no problems. As I boat shop I am looking at the Lund 1875 and 18'-19' fiberglass bass boats which are in the same range as your Fish Hawk. I have no doubts the Tacoma will handle any of those boats fine. With the towing package the Tacoma is rated for up to 6500 lbs. Now mileage is another story. The mileage is awful when towing. I calculated my mileage once on a trip home from Kentucky Lake and I was around 12 mpg. I've never calculated it since. Just an FYI, I'm going to be replacing my Tacoma with another in a few years. I too am turned off by the Colorado's styling. Just yesterday I was parked next to one and gave it a real long look and didn't really like it.

Thanks for the reply! 12mpg isn't too bad. My 5.0 F150 usually averages 12-14 at 60-70mph.
Cranker
Posted 12/6/2015 8:41 PM (#795454 - in reply to #795447)

If you were looking for a truck in that size class, the new Colorado with the 2.8 Duramax is a truck too look at. It claims to get 28 mpg and tow up to 8,000 lbs.
smalljaw
Posted 12/6/2015 10:17 PM (#795466 - in reply to #795422)

Am in the market for a truck myself. The styling isn't a major factor for me but the new Colorado doesn't appeal as well as the Tacoma. The Colorado is tippy too. Engines are both good enough to tow most any mid-sized boat.
Slumpbuster
Posted 12/7/2015 6:04 AM (#795471 - in reply to #795422)

I wanted a Mid sized truck for awhile and had a phase where I test drove everything. Although not a Chevy fan the new Colorado was a pretty nice truck. That new diesel seems pretty attractive as well. In my opinion the GMC version isn't as ugly. If you get a Tacoma I'm sure it will last forever but I'm not sure how happy you would be with the fuel efficiency. Not much better than a full sized truck especially towing. Ultimately when test driving a mid-sized truck then driving a full sized model I couldn't make the switch. I'm just used to the more planted feeling that comes with a larger and heavier vehicle. If you currently own an f-150 and enjoy it I'd suggest you get another and skip the eco-boost v6. If you have the itch to buy a Toyota I know several people that really enjoy the Tundra. Couldn't go wrong their either.
Slime King
Posted 12/7/2015 11:13 AM (#795503 - in reply to #795422)

I'm on my second Tacoma in the lat 14 years. My current one is an 08 with the 4.0 V-6 and it has towed a Tuffy 1760, Alumacraft 1750 and aRanger 518DVX all with no problems on longer distance trips from 5- 14 hour trips. My mileage has been 12.5-13.5 pulling all theses rigs. I tow all of them with OD locked out in 4th gear and have the tow package from Toyota with the trans/oil coolers. While not towing I get about 19-20 on the highway. The newest Tacoma comes with a 3.5 and is supposed to get a bit better mileage (about 24-25 highway).
jonnysled
Posted 12/7/2015 12:38 PM (#795511 - in reply to #795503)

it's pretty easy to do a cost of use projection on one and compare ... i did it based on used for my son and the far and away best choice was a Chevy Silverado 1500. it's not surprising that Ford dropped the product from their line-up. they just don't make sense in our market unless your passion i just off-roading.
miket55
Posted 12/7/2015 2:40 PM (#795537 - in reply to #795422)

I had an '03 that lasted 335k before the rear end let go, and currently run a '10, that has 225k, and still going strong. They did reinvent the Tacoma for this year, but I'd guess it would still do the job..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(2565.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2565.jpg (47KB - 283 downloads)
Sunshine
Posted 12/7/2015 3:01 PM (#795541 - in reply to #795471)

Slumpbuster - 12/7/2015 6:04 AM

If you currently own an f-150 and enjoy it I'd suggest you get another and skip the eco-boost v6. If you have the itch to buy a Toyota I know several people that really enjoy the Tundra. Couldn't go wrong their either.

Why skip the eco-boost v6? What's wrong?
Slumpbuster
Posted 12/7/2015 3:34 PM (#795544 - in reply to #795422)

The fuel economy benefits of that motor drop like a rock when under towing load or when you really get on the gas. It's essentially a wash with the 5.0 v8 if you do any sort of spirited driving or towing. In my opinion a gas turbocharged motor is more prone to failure than a naturally aspirated engine. More moving parts, more to break. Turbocharged gas motors generally are higher compression than a naturally aspirated motor. Turbocharged diesels are a different animal completely. So if I was buying an f-150 I would opt for the v8 gas over the v6 turbo as I would expect greater longevity from the v8 motor. That being said I'm not an expert just a gearhead. I know their are many satisfied ecoboost owners out there. Don't want to get to far off topic here as the poster was asking about Tacos. If you pm me I have a couple of links about ecoboost vs v8 comparisons I can send you.
tolle141
Posted 12/7/2015 4:32 PM (#795553 - in reply to #795422)

Again guys, I have a full size. It's a truck. It does everything I need it to do. The Taco just seems much, much more fun and I'm curious what other people's experiences have been. Plus it would help for getting down the logging trails to some backcountry spots that a full size can't fit down.
gmanny1
Posted 12/7/2015 5:41 PM (#795563 - in reply to #795553)

I down sized from Ram Quad cab back to Mid size.Bought Nissan frontier.# 1 mid size truck by consonmer reports last 10 plus years. Had 1993 Dodge Dakota .Great truck.Chevy S-10 before that.Dakota was great and sold when the Air conditioner went out. 245.000 K . Brakes ,tires and exhaust was it for maintenence.Sold in 2006 and Bought 2006 Ram Big Horn Quad cab in 2010.Went back to Mid size.
No more Dakota and american mid size trucks all have no character.Was between Tacoma and Frontier.Tacoma not enough power 225 HP.Frontier. 268 HP. Frontier highst rated Mid size for many years with no consumer complains.Deal done. 70 K and no problems on my SL model.Pulls 18' Lund like not even there.New Tacoma redone with 275 HP now .Defintinly would take a look.Nissan has'nt redone Frontier in a long time because it has performed excellently.i've talked to a ton of Frontier owners with old trucks and rave reviews .No problems and motor that'll run forever.First Jap vehicle for me and I won't go back to USA.OTD loaded for 30 K. In 5 more years I'll by another Frontier or possibly Tacoma.Any more ? PM me .GL
Gmanny
danmuskyman
Posted 12/7/2015 9:00 PM (#795589 - in reply to #795553)

tolle141 - 12/7/2015 4:32 PM

Again guys, I have a full size. It's a truck. It does everything I need it to do. The Taco just seems much, much more fun and I'm curious what other people's experiences have been. Plus it would help for getting down the logging trails to some backcountry spots that a full size can't fit down.

If your concern is fitting down logging roads in the backcountry, I wouldn't be spending 40k then driving it through the brush! Why not keep the full size for towing and look for an older Tacoma for a "hunting" vehicle?
brianT
Posted 12/7/2015 9:22 PM (#795592 - in reply to #795422)

2013 Tacoma V6 long bed owner here. It's my second Tacoma I've owned and I downgraded from a Tundra, to a MDX, then to the Tacoma. I do lots of city driving or else I would still be driving the Tundra. That being said, I love my Taco. It pulls my 1650 Fishhawk with a 115 Opti with no problems. I have hauled it on long trips including a 15 hour haul to Northern Ontario. We averaged 12mpg with 4 guys and a heavy load. My only concern is braking on steep hills. If your trailer has brakes, I would highly suggest getting a Taco with a tow package and brake controller. Other than that, you don't get all the bells and whistles that are available in a full size truck..... I do miss the moonroof and retractable rear window in my old Tundra crewmax but I sure as heck don't miss the city gas mileage.
Macintosh
Posted 12/8/2015 7:30 AM (#795604 - in reply to #795422)

Taco is way nicer in city driving, even in a small city. V6 will tow your boat fine.. It'll even stop it fine too, a taco only weighs a couple hundred pounds less than an equivalent f150. Fuel economy may not be sufficiently better to cause someone to choose a taco or frontier over a half-ton truck if thats whats driving their decision, but if you use a total cost of ownership calculator such as the one at edmunds you'll see the mid-size trucks consistently come in 6-8 thousand dollars cheaper over 5 years of ownership. Which brings up another point--how long you plan to own it. I read these truck threads all the time and am constantly amazed at the number of people who trade their vehicles in after only a couple years--seems a lot of people just buy new trucks and trade them at 50-75k (especially with the leases all the manufacturers are pushing these days), and in my opinion the manufacturers are building their trucks around these buying habits. I am just a "drive it until it wont pass inspection, then fix it and drive it some more" guy, so ultimate lifespan is important to me and thats the main reason Im a toyota fan. You can find toyota lemons to be sure, and you can also find someone who's driven XX vehicle 769,000 miles with not a hiccup, but if you look at what most people say there seem to be toyotas and then everything else.
gmanny1
Posted 12/8/2015 11:01 AM (#795639 - in reply to #795604)

My 2011 Frontier has all the bells and whistles as a Full size truck. Power sunroof. Tow package, leather, has hill assist for towing on it.400 watt stereo. Heated seats.
tackleaddict
Posted 12/8/2015 12:35 PM (#795657 - in reply to #795639)

As a man who lives in Detroit and has his entire livelihood wrapped up in the US automotive industry. I urge everyone to think domestic first. They are all good trucks. If styling is what your worried about, then trust me when you drive to St Clair youll look cooler in something that helped us keep our jobs then the Tacoma
bryantukkah
Posted 12/8/2015 2:01 PM (#795673 - in reply to #795657)

tackleaddict - 12/8/2015 1:35 PM

As a man who lives in Detroit and has his entire livelihood wrapped up in the US automotive industry. I urge everyone to think domestic first. They are all good trucks. If styling is what your worried about, then trust me when you drive to St Clair youll look cooler in something that helped us keep our jobs then the Tacoma

Its funny, i drive by a ford stamping plant every day. There are more toyotas and hondas in the worker lots than fords on some days. I wonder if the opposite is true at the toyota manufacturing plant in san antonio, texas? Or the one in blue springs missouri? or the one in princeton, Indiana? or any of the other ones for that matter? The term "domestic" has certainly changed over the years.
Slime King
Posted 12/8/2015 2:09 PM (#795674 - in reply to #795422)

I just finished taking my Tacoma to Detroit to fish St.Clair. I feel good knowing that when I purchased my Tacoma that it was assembled in the USA. I just checked online and Toyota's Tundra is tied with the F150 as the most american made trucks and the Tacoma comes in 4th ahead of all chevy's besides the Colorado. The top two most American made vehicles were the Toyota Camry and Toyota Sienna last year. As long as Toyota continues to build trucks of this quality then they will get my US dollars.
tackleaddict
Posted 12/8/2015 2:21 PM (#795677 - in reply to #795674)

Your points are valid, not trying to start anything. As far as blue collar manufacturing jobs are concerned your probably right about the amount that is done in the US. As far as office and engineering jobs though that is not the case.
brianT
Posted 12/8/2015 2:42 PM (#795681 - in reply to #795639)

gmanny1 - 12/8/2015 12:01 PM

My 2011 Frontier has all the bells and whistles as a Full size truck. Power sunroof. Tow package, leather, has hill assist for towing on it.400 watt stereo. Heated seats.

Correction - The Tacoma with the Limited package I believe has all of that accept for the heated seats. I'm sure the Frontier is a great truck, I've just always been a Toyota fan.
PSAGuy
Posted 12/8/2015 2:57 PM (#795685 - in reply to #795544)

Having had a 5.4 V8 F150 SuperCrew and moving to the EcoBoost V6 SuperCrew, I'll tell you the V6 knocks the V8's socks off. I tow a Ranger 620 with tandem trailer. This boat is a LOAD, and the V6 does it effortlessly
Without the boat on the hitch, the truck is much more fun to drive than that V8.
The turbos can be an issue for concern....but if you shop around (at least in the twin cities) you can find a dealer that (like mine) will extend a LIFETIME nationwide warranty with no deductible on engine and turbos. It's not transferrable when you sell the truck but as long as YOU own it....you are safe. No risk !!
No lie....the V6 eco is waaaaaay better on the tow than my 5.4 V8 ever was. Fuel economy went up (towing) from 11mpg with the V8 to 13 mpg with the Eco. Over 10% !!
Macintosh
Posted 12/9/2015 8:53 PM (#795819 - in reply to #795422)

Blue collar manufacturing jobs, sales jobs, and white collar administration jobs, and Im betting some engineers too, not to mentnion all the parts suppliers and other companies that work in that industry. Not to mention all of these companies are publically traded, the US companies are partly foreign-owned and the non-US companies (like dodge and toyota) are also partly US-owned so the "company profit" also gets spread around the globe. It isnt as simple as it used to be.
tolle141
Posted 12/9/2015 10:52 PM (#795831 - in reply to #795657)

tackleaddict - 12/8/2015 12:35 PM

All Tacomas are built in Texas. As a matter of fact, it's the 4th most "American made" truck out there.

As for the white collar point, there's toyota Japan and Toyota USA. USA has it's own racing development team as well.

Edited by tolle141 12/9/2015 10:55 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)