Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> rigged & ready

Reply New post
Message Subject: rigged & ready
sputterbug
Posted 5/10/2003 12:25 AM (#69707)
Subject: rigged & ready

Just wanted to say thanks to Shep, Lobi, JoMusky, and several other people, including my brother, for helping me get the additions to my boat figured out.  This 1994 Tuffy Renegade is my first boat, and it's great to have such good advice and help getting it ready.  Thanks for pitching in, now I'll try to keep it afloat!

Additions:  boat shop installed Minn Kota bowmount 65AP and new steering cables.  I installed Lowrance X87, stabilizer RAM mount for 65AP head (treated block of wood behind gunnel); my brother helped install the Shakespeare VHF antenna (removable with barrel connector) and figured out some wiring problems.  Ready to rock!  Here's some pictures if you're interested...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(boat_shakespeare.jpg)

(boat_icom.jpg)

(boat_stabilizer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boat_shakespeare.jpg (79KB - 357 downloads)
Attachments boat_icom.jpg (73KB - 335 downloads)
Attachments boat_stabilizer.jpg (63KB - 344 downloads)
Shep
Posted 5/10/2003 2:07 PM (#69721 - in reply to #69707)
Subject: RE: rigged & ready

Nice job Bug! Now get out there and get it slimed!!
Sponge
Posted 5/13/2003 9:07 PM (#70058 - in reply to #69707)

Dude, hows abouts a pic. of the rig in its enti-ret -ee?:O
sputterbug
Posted 5/14/2003 12:07 PM (#70114 - in reply to #69707)

Spongy,

I'll try to post one in the next few days.  I'll be at the Indiana Muskie Classic until Sunday night.  First tournament <g>

stephendawg
Posted 5/14/2003 1:10 PM (#70122 - in reply to #69707)

Nice!  Very nice!   I, like Sponge, will be waiting for a picture of the entire rig though. Where did you get your bait holders?

Dawg

sworrall
Posted 5/14/2003 9:57 PM (#70244 - in reply to #70122)

You are going to love that rig. I had two of the 1800 models; one in in '94 and another in '95, and found them to be one heck of a ride.
stephendawg
Posted 5/21/2003 11:25 AM (#70932 - in reply to #69707)

Sputterbug,

Where's the pics of your boat and...where'd you get you bait hanger for your pitching seat and......How'd you do in the "Classic?"

so many questions...so little time.

MossFrog
Posted 5/21/2003 4:57 PM (#71008 - in reply to #69707)

stephendawg,
I'll see if I can't get the-bug to post some additional photos. I can tell you he didn't do diddly in the Indiana Classic

As far as the bait holders, clearvision systems makes them. Available at: http://www.clearvisionsystems.com

MossFrog
stephendawg
Posted 5/22/2003 1:12 PM (#71117 - in reply to #69707)

Thanks for the info, MF. (opps! That didn't sound right. Sorry!) Maybe you should change your nickname? LOL

Sorry to hear about Sputterbug's luck. But I bet he was "shining" in his new ride!

sputterbug
Posted 5/23/2003 1:08 AM (#71191 - in reply to #69707)

Hey all,

Yup, the IN Classic anglers had no threat from me and my dad (boat partner) but we had a blast.  Had one hooked and up to the boat the last day but lost him; saw19 others over the tourney with some hot follows but no eaters.  The tourney is great though, lots of raffles and good people, extremely well run, and proceeds go to raise $ for stocking the tourney lakes.

Hopefully, more pics of my boat are attached.  Thanks for all the kind words!  Every boat has problems, but I think we've got the kinks out of this one and I'm really enjoying it! 

The story (or skip to the pics if you don't want the long version):

I bought the boat off eBay last October from a guy in the Michigan UP.  I live in KY so it was a bit of a trip to go get it!  Turns out he used to guide the Chippewa Flowage area where our family goes once a year.  This is my first boat, and maybe not the best way to buy, but I was more than happy with the deal.  Got it for $6,800.  It's a 1994 Tuffy Renegade 1800C with 1994 150 Yamaha, new Minn Kota 65 transom mount, a Lowrance 350A, Wave Whacker splash guards, and a new trailer.  It was reglassed and a new floor installed in 2000 by Tuffy.  A lot of the ideas for rigging came from you guys here at muskiefirst.  I had a Minn Kota 65 autopilot bow mount added and a trim switch for outboard on bow panel.  I installed a Lowrance X87 in the bow and a RAM stabilizer for the bow motor head.  My brother (MossFrog) helped me figure out some wiring problems and install the VHF radio and antenna.  The steering cables had rusted and I found a good dealer who installed Teleflex cables and kit.  These parts and labor added around $2504 but have turned it into a musky machine!  Too bad there's no slime in it yet, but maybe this weekend. 

Only a few things remain to achieve nirvana.  The boat lists to port a bit, and I don't think it's entirely due to weight distribution.  Tony Grant said maybe some trim tabs would do the trick, I'll have to check into that.  Now just need some DownEast rod holders and a cover, and maybe I'll quit spending $!  It's a great platform to fish from and I've been loving it.  The 65AP on the front is amazing, and really steers this rig on a dime.  One problem is the rod locker.  I thought for sure I'd get 7'6" rods in there, but the console is in the way.  Not that big a deal since there's plenty of deck room for Rod Savers, but my brother's Esox Mag ironically has more room in the locker.  Heh.  We must be the only two Tuffy owners in Kentucky.

(boat_side.jpg)

(boat_int.jpg)

(boat_stern.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boat_side.jpg (58KB - 255 downloads)
Attachments boat_int.jpg (79KB - 219 downloads)
Attachments boat_stern.jpg (65KB - 216 downloads)
Sponge
Posted 5/23/2003 9:09 AM (#71217 - in reply to #69707)

Looks daggone good Sputterdude! Now hit the Cave and camp out in Scotts Creek...:O
stephendawg
Posted 5/23/2003 11:17 AM (#71240 - in reply to #69707)

Entirely COOL, Sputterbug! You must know how I feel with my new ride too! I've added a lot of things to my boat most people wouldn't notice but they all make a big difference when you're out. I'll get some better pictures of my boat in my album soon I'm sure. In the meantime, "It sure is a blast to fish out of a big machine! Especially since it is MINE, MINE, it's all MINE!"   lol
sputterbug
Posted 5/23/2003 9:19 PM (#71292 - in reply to #69707)

Yeah, SD, I'd look forward to seeing the pics when you've got 'em!  Tinkering with the boat is fun, especially when it's "new" and you're getting it set up like you want it.  I found 4" wide velcro and some small wood screws are great for some things, like tying down the antenna in the lowered position or maybe some rod deck ties or dock rope ties.  Enjoy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)