Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling rods for row trolling

Message Subject: Trolling rods for row trolling
Slumpbuster
Posted 10/4/2015 9:52 AM (#787164)
Subject: Trolling rods for row trolling

Just finishing up outfitting my row trolling rig and was wondering what trolling rods people liked specifically for row trolling. I'm sure I could use some rods I already own but would like to know if there is a specific attribute that would make a rod better for row trolling. I've heard of people using large catfish rods, shimano tdr and others while having good results. For the guys that row what seems to work the best? Willing to spend so cost isn't a huge concern.
northern
Posted 10/13/2015 5:52 AM (#788370 - in reply to #787164)
Subject: Re: Trolling rods for row trolling

I really like the St Croix Avid inshore 8' MH for row trolling lures up tot 8" and planerboards.
For bigger lures i use the PGM80MH or self build Rainshadow E-glass SWS70MH (they provide a 8 footer also)
Nice to build them yourself this hardwater season, for less than $100 a rod you can spend extra on lures. Don't let the MH power of the E-glas fool you, it is a moderate fast saltwater rod and build to fight 100 pounders...
tinner
Posted 10/27/2015 9:12 PM (#790386 - in reply to #787164)
Subject: RE: Trolling rods for row trolling

My 2 cents but, keep in mind

* I do not limit myself to row trolling from mine - I cast weed lines half the time.

* I suggest you get your boat first. Then think all things out with the visual, measure,think and measure some more from rod holder location, rod handle length etc. Test some rods you have now.

* I rarely do the deep water, suspended thing with mine. I use them as original a hundred years ago- row trolling and casting the weed lines. Disclaimer - they certainly can be used for deep water, suspended as many in recent times, to include Mr. Tom G. have shown.

* My boat is, pinned oars, 14' 2" x 44" made by the Addirondack Guidebook Co. Vermont Fishing Dory version. Basically, the exact same dimension's, design for all intended purpose as a 14' Saint Lawrence River Skiff . I point this out because size will/can effect your rod length choice. Many skiffs/double enders are 16' some 18' even 20'.

* I use two Shimano 7' Fast Taper, Medium Heavy Action, Rated 1/2 oz - 2oz comparably to most these days light Muskie Rods, similar to Bass Flip'in Sticks really. I believe they are the Soveirn series about $50 bucks each. I have high end rods as well (fly rods to $900). I would not put a high end rod in fixed seat rower - your just begging to break it and in fact I did just that with one. I am very pleased with the Shimano rods after I fixed the tip tops. They are durable, fun,sporting and I beat the heck out of them. They have enough tip that I can see the action row trolling a spinnerbait, cedar plug etc. I carry an extra large, 38" hoop, Ranger catch and release pen net. I fish alone 95%. If my rods were much longer than 7', say over 7 1/2' to 8' - I would have my hands even more full attempting to net a Muskie, solo,while a-drift - trying to bring a Muskie in with a longer rod - to net. Also, the longer they are the more they get in the way in already tight quarters. 8' would be my limit......

* Hint if your primarily going to row troll , plugs - I would start adding some cedar with metal lip plugs now Many of the modern, are designed for high speed, plugs with heavy thick lexon/plastic lips will have too much resistance for row trolling. They will limit your speed greatly and wear you out. Think cedar and metal for plugs along with spinnerbaits for on the weeds (watch the Colorado blades ! Pulling them will wear you out quick as well)

* If I were only going to row troll plugs, keeping with the classic retro, plus durability I would look at glass rods

* I hope you find it as adventurous, exciting, fulfilling and peaceful ......all in one as I do. A long day - you will know you have been out and sleep well that night The entire fight, even the take is So Much more enhance from a fixed seat rower

Good Luck
Peter Stoltman
Posted 10/29/2015 7:38 AM (#790565 - in reply to #787164)
Subject: Re: Trolling rods for row trolling

I use the St. Croix Premier PGM 80 HM model. The will pull anything I put on them and if I get a bait hung on something I don't have to worry about a snapped rod. They get the job done. By the way, there is a row trolling website that you can find here:http://www.row-troller.com/Home_Page.html and a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Row-Trolling-369775133040597/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)