Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Magnum vs pounder

Message Subject: Magnum vs pounder
TyPaulson
Posted 8/27/2015 7:09 PM (#782227)
Subject: Magnum vs pounder

Dawg talk.

When do you go to the pounder? Bigger water, bigger fish, later in the year? What makes you switch to the pounder?

Thanks a ton!
newmuskyz
Posted 8/27/2015 7:33 PM (#782228 - in reply to #782227)
Subject: RE: Magnum vs pounder

I'm inclined to throw it thru the whole year. The pounder that is. I don't think it matters. The saying they only work in fall is crap, a myth. Big fish eat all year. The reason you hear of big fish being caught in the fall with them so much is because that's when most are throwing them. In order to develop confidence in them, you've got to get bit on them, and in order to get bit you've gotta throw em....stick with your confidence color keep it simple and dedicate time.
Musky Face
Posted 8/27/2015 8:56 PM (#782234 - in reply to #782227)
Subject: Re: Magnum vs pounder

Pounders look small in a 50's mouth. Like said above, if you throw it with confidence it will happen. Caught a 30 incher on a pounder once along with small pike. I prefer a pounder over a mag.
jlong
Posted 8/28/2015 7:42 AM (#782253 - in reply to #782234)
Subject: Re: Magnum vs pounder

I'll scale down when fishing lakes with smaller fish.  Many WI lakes I fish I'll favor the Magnum as a 45 incher would be a BIG fish for that particular lake.  Put me on a lake where I expect to bag a 50... and its Pounders all the way. 

After dark... I'll favor the bigger profile of the Pounder as well.

For what its worth... I've caught 40 inchers that have completely swallowed a Pounder.  And I mean swallowed to the point that you can't tell a lure is on your line.  Only leader sticking out of their mouth.... so its not an issue of the Pounder ever being too large of a bait. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)