Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> reef hawgs

Message Subject: reef hawgs
ski glider
Posted 8/25/2015 7:48 PM (#781926)
Subject: reef hawgs

Anyone ever replace the hook hangers on a reef hawg using cotter pins.I have a few that have hooks cut off and don't want to go to split rings.The original seem to be one piece or are they regular cotter pins?
Flag Island Ron
Posted 8/25/2015 8:33 PM (#781940 - in reply to #781926)
Subject: RE: reef hawgs

Thornes has replacement packs that I picked up while there. I'm sure they are pretty standard and could be found at a hardware store.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/25/2015 8:38 PM (#781941 - in reply to #781926)

Have the hooks been changed a number of times already? Have the cotters been compromised?

If the answer to both of the above is no, you can re-use the cotter. I re-use the cotters at least once before changing it. That typically happens when quickly changing hooks in the boat. Use a dental pick or tiny screw driver to pry the end of the cotter that is stuck into the lure, loose. Carefully bend it straight, remove, replace hook, replace. Once you have it pushed through, put a small screw driver or nail(sized to fit) through the cotter where the hook is before bending the top section over and pounding it back into the lure. This will ensure the hook has room to swing and not allow for leverage.

Once you have the first cotter out, compare/purchase additional, cutting to size, adding the little hitch in the end that will be pounded into the lure.

If done correctly, a fish will not pull a cotter out of your lure during a battle.
jdsplasher
Posted 8/26/2015 5:32 PM (#782093 - in reply to #781941)

Not sure what size reef hawg your talkin....BUT, I cut the 2 cotter pins out, and put a stainless screw eye in between  the 2 cotter pins on the 6" reef hawg. Then drill out and insert lead ingots in the 2 holes where the pins were...works awesome...and bait runs deeper.

JD

ski glider
Posted 8/26/2015 6:26 PM (#782104 - in reply to #781926)
Subject: Re: reef hawgs

Thanks for all the info guys took one a part today went well thanks for getting me started
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/27/2015 5:28 PM (#782220 - in reply to #782093)

jdsplasher - 8/26/2015 5:32 PM

Not sure what size reef hawg your talkin....BUT, I cut the 2 cotter pins out, and put a stainless screw eye in between  the 2 cotter pins on the 6" reef hawg. Then drill out and insert lead ingots in the 2 holes where the pins were...works awesome...and bait runs deeper.

JD

Interesting mods there Jim, sounds like a winner. I have a few 'money' 6"ers that I've taken the center hook off, replacing the front with a 4/0 774. I avoid alot of eye hooking with this rig, and can unhook smaller to medium sized Muskies much quicker/safer and get back to fishing. That is now a hooking machine in need of no further mods unless I want more head swing in the current, at which point I weight rear of center.

Each one is different. experiment, enjoy.

jdsplasher
Posted 8/28/2015 7:03 AM (#782245 - in reply to #782220)

Jason ; Yes, No middle hook is needed with the 6" er. You could even go to a 5/0 / 774. I do, and experience no hang- ups with the larger ott:)

Your right Jason, each bait is different, that's why I weight them to have a good swing,and to make them more consistent.

JD

Reef Hawg
Posted 8/28/2015 11:03 AM (#782280 - in reply to #782245)

Good point, as the 5/0 774 is my favorite hook on the planet. I do like the 3/0 or 4/0 on most of my 6's as anything bigger can make it head heavy, which I most often don't want. Because I use them largely in very specific locations/conditions, no weight is typically needed on my 6's, unless for action only(my reason for taking the center hook out of some). It's rare that I'm trying to get more depth from my 6"ers. I do have several weighted heavier for getting 'down', but over the years I've migrated to different 'tools' in those situations.

Always interesting hearing how and where folks choose their preferred mods for certain lures, each with specific purpose, none of them wrong. Good stuff!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)