Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling Swim Jigs ??

Message Subject: Trolling Swim Jigs ??
tinner
Posted 8/13/2015 9:35 AM (#780188)
Subject: Trolling Swim Jigs ??

Weedlines,etc.

Notes from your experience / success ?

Paddle/Boot-tails, grubs ?

Thanks

tinner
Posted 8/13/2015 10:11 AM (#780199 - in reply to #780188)
Subject: RE: Trolling Swim Jigs ??

I have only done it a little with paddle tail, weedless, swim jigs along a weed line, long lined just like a spinner bait. Like many others I have had success trolling spinnerbaits along and over weeds. Initially, I can't see how swim jigs would be any different, just minus the blade/blades and plan to do it more, moving between spots.

If you have not tried it, the first thing you will notice is a silent rod tip compared to a tandem Spinnerbait , Colorado blade spinnerbait or diving plug. This takes some getting use to unless you tend to put your tips in the water and use a clicker - which I wouldn't do with swim jig..........in fact initially from what I seen you may want the rod tip even up a bit from parrelel to the water . I used a light Muskie rod / heavy bass rod flip'in stick with a softer tip which helped. I suspect a glass rod might be best/trolling/swimjig

The second thing I noticed is this is,,,,,,, as weedless as it gets,(more than a spinnerbait) trolling a weed line and if my rod tip did appear a touch heavy from a weed it easily could be twitched off with out reeling. Bang'in stalks zig zagiing with out collecting weeds, was refreshing.

Similar to other times baits I have used while trolling a weedline, fishing alone, I really can just run one rod IF, I want to stay right ON the weedline , banging some stalks at times. Its a rod per person game to me if your Right ON it rather than just out from or over. Maybe some can? But, banging some stalks at times and not just over.....which I personally want to do.....and big spreads do not go hand and hand

I row troll a double ender currently and fish alone mostly so I could not keep the rod in my hand to pump,twitch and put some cue ball english on the bait but, if there are two anglers or a motor it seems the way to go. I was able to add "English" by varying strokes, heavy zig zag via just one rod out,etc. As with a spinnerbait........as with casting a swim jig or spinnerbait for that matter, I think it's important to add some "english" regularly, creating some yp,yo , dead falls, speed changes,etc. My spinnerbait trolling takes have come from such

With swim jig heads available from 3/40z to 3/0z getting down on a weedline is no problem.

I like paddle / boot tails on swim jigs and big grubs on spinnerbaits.

My concern - I see salty striped bass fisherman are trolling swim jigs (plenty of you tube videos) but, they are keeping the rod in hand, working it which I can't do alone. They do this for better hook up/set ratio. Yet, I have had no problem with sets trolling spinnerbaits (Barbless always and never with a trailer/stinger hook) - un-armed and once pinned they stay pinned better than a trebble on a plug.

I plan on trying it a lot more.........stopping to cast prime stalk pockets,points and real estate along the way with a lighter swim jig.

Currently switched to 50# braid for depth long lineing and a rod with some tip. Using supreme 7x7 / 49 strand wire in .24 & .18 (65# and 40#) tied direct to braid, sometimes a sta lok snap, some direct tie. I can make my snap leader ties just as weedless......actually more than un-treated knots direct tie, by adding Loon Knot sense (UV Seal) to key areas. I appreciate the quick change,long term of the snap leader and cost savings at .50 cents a foot wire...........yet, just don't like the looks of a snap on a jig,spinnerbait,fly,etc.

Living and learning..........enjoy the outdoors

Millsie1
Posted 8/13/2015 2:04 PM (#780250 - in reply to #780188)
Subject: Re: Trolling Swim Jigs ??

They roll too much and cause mucho line twist.
tinner
Posted 8/13/2015 10:57 PM (#780366 - in reply to #780250)
Subject: Re: Trolling Swim Jigs ??

Millsie1 - 8/13/2015 3:04 PM

They roll too much and cause mucho line twist.

Thats a first ? swim jigs >"roll to much cause line twist " trolled. ???

I trolled a 1oz and 3oz head swim jig head, paddle tail this evening...........I don't think I could get it to roll, ,,,,,kick out and roll like a plug/crankbait if I tried.

Stripper fisherman troll heavy swim jigs all the time

tinner
Posted 8/24/2015 3:53 PM (#781770 - in reply to #780188)
Subject: RE: Trolling Swim Jigs ??

If anyone is interested ??

I have played around with this some more.

Why? Single non treble, non rear placed hooked lures are catch and release friendly and user friendly fishing alone.........and they swim well,versatile.

There is, has been and growing a lot of it done in the salt for Strippers,Tuna and more.

Its there you will find the most info on set ups,speeds,etc,

There you will also find plenty of depth charts ounces lead/line diameter type/length/speed/depth.

The Basics -
* A swim jig head is used and a swim bait trailer, be it skirted or not is added, usually a paddle/boot tail, example Big Hammer,Lunker City,etc. but also the new "hybrids" ringed boot tails with skirts.
* If the swim jig head is not heavy enough when combined with a fat belly , heavy thumping, paddle tail that rocks the body back and fourth as it swims, it could roll with speed..
* In my experience recently this won't happen with a 2 oz or 3 oz heavy swim jig head but, from 3/4 oz to 1 1/2oz you need to observe and adjust. Adjust example > trim the belly a bit so its thinner. Use a hybrid like a Keith Fat Swing Impact 5.8" (will not roll even on a 5/8 oz at any speed. Some of the newer Big Hammers ex. 6.5" with the fatter belly, if used on 1 oz or under heads Can/Will roll with speed, Unless you trim the belly or use a heavier jig.

Links of interest.

Double the speed = half the depth / Just One Depth Chart
http://rednekoutfitters.com/inline_trolling_weight_chart.html

Catch & Release = why one should consider single hook & barbless if thats the goal
http://www.onthewater.com/stripers-future/

Specific Information On Trolling Swim Jigs / Baits / Set Up,etc
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=212606

Example of a "hybrid" or ringed......and a darn good one at that >
http://www.keitechusa.com/keitech-swimbaits/keitech-swing-impact-fa...

Last by "fatter" belly Example see the photo below submitted to me my Warrier Baits jig heads, per example and on the topic of trolling swim baits. These are all Big Hammers the 5" & 6.5" are fatter.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(unnamed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments unnamed.jpg (63KB - 504 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)