Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tinsel vs maribou

Message Subject: Tinsel vs maribou
past.the.cast.mike
Posted 8/23/2015 8:12 PM (#781657)
Subject: Tinsel vs maribou

I've always used tinsel bucktails, but I see lots of people use marabou with feathers. What's the difference in action and presentation? What's your preference?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/23/2015 8:53 PM (#781667 - in reply to #781657)
Subject: Re: Tinsel vs maribou

They all have their place. I've switched to mostly marabou recently because it has a lifelike flow to it and it's just different from the rest. It also casts very well into the wind compared to tinsel.
past.the.cast.mike
Posted 8/23/2015 8:56 PM (#781669 - in reply to #781667)

Kirby Budrow - 8/23/2015 9:53 PM

They all have their place. I've switched to mostly marabou recently because it has a lifelike flow to it and it's just different from the rest. It also casts very well into the wind compared to tinsel.

Any specific brands you reccommend? I'd like to get a few
ski junkie
Posted 8/23/2015 8:59 PM (#781672 - in reply to #781669)

past.the.cast.mike - 8/23/2015 8:56 PM

Muskie underground makes the best marabou bucktails in my opinion.
http://www.muskieunderground.com/
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/23/2015 9:02 PM (#781673 - in reply to #781672)

I use bigtooth Tackle
cave run legend
Posted 8/23/2015 9:03 PM (#781674 - in reply to #781673)

Big tooth makes the best marabou bucktails IMO. They have a couple strands of tinsel as well. Sometimes fish like the flash, when they want that I reach for a Gerry's girl. I have had another well known brand marabou when I started off and they took forever to dry unlike the big tooth.
mastical
Posted 8/23/2015 9:54 PM (#781688 - in reply to #781672)

ski junkie - 8/23/2015 8:59 PM

past.the.cast.mike - 8/23/2015 8:56 PM

Muskie underground makes the best marabou bucktails in my opinion.
http://www.muskieunderground.com/

X2 Adams baits are awesome.
tinner
Posted 8/24/2015 4:18 PM (#781773 - in reply to #781657)
Subject: RE: Tinsel vs maribou

Marabou - If you pause your retrieve, change direction,etc. > it will expand, puff out more than bucktail or tinsel. It's also the least durable.

Tinsel - alone will swim, somewhat like a swim bait and this is why it is often used on flash tail fly patterns.......which is where these tinsel bucktail spinners came from = fly tyers
It won't expand as much as marabou or flares as much but, swims.
It's in the middle for durability.......the thinner the least durable........ oh......and obviously its flashy as a Manhattan Pimp - Elvis too.

Bucktail / Tinsel combo - particularly if the bucktail collars are hollow or reversed tied gives you some of both > Flares,swims,flash,durability........this also comes from fly tyers,fly fisherman.......as is most often the case anything thing tied.
A flash tail with a bucktail / flashabou (tinsel) collar is particularly nice

You can also add "tinsel" / Flashabou to Marabou as tyers have sense its introduction. And/or flash tails...or "bunny", zonker strips with marabou or bucktail collars......aka...."skirts" to some

As there is already a blade or blades for flash personally, I don't think it matters much what the skirt material is. To me plain bucktail looks best on an inline and I like starflash silicone or bucktail on a safety pin

Their always looking to sell something new you don't have yet ;)......that is about as effective as what you already have LOL

Flys don't have blades obviously.... flashabou helps substantially. Although probably some of the heavy shooting heads,skagit heads used on the latest 10-12 wts could cast some blades and spoons Still flyfishing ? Its debatable ....
BenR
Posted 8/24/2015 4:49 PM (#781777 - in reply to #781657)

If you get quality marabou baits they last just as long as the other models. I have a current one that has over 20 fish this year on it and still looks great. With marabou you just want to make sure you buy quality.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)