Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Repair Damaged Rod/ or Trash

Message Subject: Repair Damaged Rod/ or Trash
cast4musky
Posted 8/4/2015 4:16 PM (#779086)
Subject: Repair Damaged Rod/ or Trash

I was wondering if anyone tried extending the butt section of their rod? I ran over the rod last year with my truck and thought I would be able to repair it, I cut off all the damaged and splintered area and cut it straight and then sanded it straight but was not able to repair it.....It was one of my favorite rods....Is it Now a Tomatoe stick????? I have taken a picture so you can see the front of the rod is fine, but the back was damaged after the rod reel seat ......Crappy Picture its broken and cut right behind the rod trigger and then there is 2 inches of rod shaft then its cut ..Thanks Mike

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(broken TI Rod.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(broke1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments broken TI Rod.jpg (167KB - 352 downloads)
Attachments broke1.jpg (164KB - 378 downloads)
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 8/4/2015 7:05 PM (#779103 - in reply to #779086)
Subject: Re: Repair Damaged Rod/ or Trash

Goodwill--fancy graphite golf club
Janns Netcraft--high grade cork rings (with large inside diameter) and a end cap, composite one or whatever you want
5 min epoxy
Long wood clamp
Drill out the end of the rod with the right size drill bit (only needed if theres glue in the end of the rod, sounds like it doesnt cause you cut the end of the rod off)
Cut the golf club head off, cut the grip off
Experiment--See where the golf shaft is just small enough to fit into the rod. Want to have enough up inside the rod obviously. Still want a little room for epoxy too
Cut the shaft so you have enough going into rod, and however much you want sitting out (however long you want the handle) Amount of cork you buy depends on this too
Use a bunch of epoxy glue shaft in--wait overnight
Get cork rings fitted--drill out hole or cork reamer tool (usually just use drill bit doesnt have to be perfect)
Epoxy all the rings on rod and together
Take one end of clamp to trigger finger other end to butt off rod, squeeze everything together keep it straight (kinda have to set it up balanced on table or something)
Wipe excess epoxy off cork or it'll look like crap. Or put black grip on and you'll never notice anything
Sandpaper cork if all the rings didn't line up perfect

Have done this to all my rods figured I'd help lol
cast4musky
Posted 8/4/2015 8:46 PM (#779115 - in reply to #779086)

Is the graphite rod expensive.... sounds like something I could do.....so the graphite rod goes in the fishing rod a like a foot or more?...thank You Mike
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/5/2015 8:01 AM (#779140 - in reply to #779115)

cast4musky - 8/4/2015 8:46 PM

Is the graphite rod expensive.... sounds like something I could do.....so the graphite rod goes in the fishing rod a like a foot or more?...thank You Mike

Send me an email. I have about 40 old golf clubs and some actual rod shafts from the fat end up... Perfect for this. [email protected] I will just charge you a few bucks for the gold shaft or butt end of a rod blank and whatever shipping is... Also, go to www.mudhole.com and you can find a lot of the other stuff you need. Even finished EVA handles to slide over the shaft and a butt pc to cap it all off....
cast4musky
Posted 8/5/2015 5:16 PM (#779248 - in reply to #779086)

Ok will do thank you James
cast4musky
Posted 8/16/2015 9:15 AM (#780630 - in reply to #779086)

James thank you again, I received the graphite shaft and trimmed it and it worked perfectly, I will be Installing the Butt for this split grip rod next week......Again Thanks for the help........ Mike
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/16/2015 8:13 PM (#780700 - in reply to #779086)

You bet Mike!! Its fun to fix rods like this. www.mudhole.com has some really nice premade EVA grips that fit right over old golf clubs or blanks. Post a few pics when your done. Glad you got that parts I sent. I bought way too many gold club shafts 6 years ago for a few small projects.... eBay is evil!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)