Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sunglasses....

Message Subject: Sunglasses....
Fishen-ski's
Posted 6/17/2014 7:07 PM (#716308 - in reply to #715899)
Subject: RE: Sunglasses....

Had heard good things about H30's so I picked up a pair for my son & I at the
musky show in Milwaukee. We have been using them this season and we like them.
I had always bought cheap glasses & I have to say they are a big improvement as
we are seeing a lot more fish following. After reading
thru this thread though it seems the consensus is the costa's. Will have to check them out.
drreilly
Posted 6/17/2014 7:07 PM (#716309 - in reply to #715899)

I use Revos. Love them. Narrowed down to the glasses that I knew were very high quality and then found the ones that fit my face perfectly. No space under the glasses or above the glasses for any sun to get in.
Clammer
Posted 6/17/2014 7:13 PM (#716314 - in reply to #715899)
Subject: Re: Sunglasses....

Have a pair of H30's and like them. Nice to have changeable lenses. I really like the yellow. I have Natives which are nice as well. All this talk on Costas makes me want to ck them out.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 6/17/2014 8:29 PM (#716331 - in reply to #715899)

The proof is in the pudding. I wear costas and see more more fish/cabbage/reefs/rocks/ weeds than the other people in my boat.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 6/17/2014 8:32 PM (#716332 - in reply to #715899)

Butttttt, i also have super-human eye-sight, because i can't hear a darn thing.
mman
Posted 6/17/2014 10:07 PM (#716352 - in reply to #715899)

Costa's.... You won't be disappointed.
whynot
Posted 6/18/2014 10:13 AM (#716437 - in reply to #715899)

I've had Natives, Oakleys, Costas and Maui Jim's. Currently running a pair of Costa 580g Green Mirror Fathoms and a pair of Maui Jims with darker lenses for the really sunny days. I can't remember the exact model of Maui Jims I have because I got them as a gift. Costas and Maui Jims are by far my favorite out of those I've tried. Glass is far superior to plastic as well in my experience.
Travis A.
Posted 6/9/2015 11:05 AM (#771829 - in reply to #715899)

Questions for the guys with the Glass Costas. I have a pair of Ray Ban Warrior Aviators that are not polarized that I use for everything other than fishing and I love them except the glass makes them really heavy and after about 2 hrs they hurt my nose. I was looking at getting a pair of Costa Loreto's in Palladium w/ grey plastic lenses so they would be lighter. But it seems everyone one here really recommends the glass lenses. I found the glass lenses on a site other than Costa's actual site that would put the glass version about $10 cheaper than the plastic version is on Costa site. Are they that much clearer than the plastic and are they still light or heavy? Also if you are going to get 1 pair, is the grey the way to go? The lens section of their site basically says they are all good for fishing and then shows a pointless video that doesn't show how they look through the lens. For example does the blue mirror tint everything blue or is that just what the outside looks like? I'll try to get to a store that has some and look through the lens but I doubt they'll have the style I want in stock. I was thinking grey but now am leaning towards silver mirror.
ToddM
Posted 6/9/2015 11:13 AM (#771833 - in reply to #715899)

I really like the green mirror over an amber lens, the blue mirror is over a grey lens which is good for very brig guy conditions. The glass is heavier than the plastic lenses but I don't notice it much being light headed to start with. I bought fuse f30 plastic lenses to replace a lens I did not care for Ina costs fathom and they are very good. I wouldn't buy a pair of non polarized glasses for anything, polarized are great for driving too.

I wonder if they make a polarized lens cover for cameras?
Born
Posted 6/9/2015 5:27 PM (#771901 - in reply to #715899)

I had two pairs of glass lens Costas. Both pairs slipped off my hat when I bent over and were scratched when they hit the asphalt. ( I had them repaired and still have one pair) The glass is heavier and I could tell the difference in weight between the glass and the plastic lenses. I prefer the plastic lenses.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/9/2015 5:39 PM (#771904 - in reply to #715899)

I hate ALL glasses. Never found a pair that didn't hurt my nose or ears after an hour or so. Then I tried the Costa Fathoms. They are the only sunglasses that I can wear for 8 hours and forget I have them on.

I like the blue mirror/grey base lens for saltwater/offshore fishing. They are good for MOST musky fishing, but when you get into darker cloudy days, early mornings and evenings, they are just too dark. I've found the green mirror/amber base lens to be the best all-around lens. If you do a lot of saltwater/gulf/great lakes fishing, etc. the green mirror amber base lens is not dark enough IMO.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on anything that is not polarized. The ability to see into the water is key.

happy hooker
Posted 6/9/2015 6:09 PM (#771912 - in reply to #771904)

Don't know which brand,shade,frame,,,,I just go to the store grab a dozen off the rack put em all.on in front of the little mirror,,,and then choose the one that makes me look the coolest!!!!!!

Edited by happy hooker 6/9/2015 6:11 PM
pistolpete314
Posted 6/9/2015 6:10 PM (#771913 - in reply to #715899)

costa del mar with 580g
MuskyMike51
Posted 6/10/2015 7:30 AM (#771978 - in reply to #715899)

i have a pair of Smith Optics Touchstones, glass in green mirror over amber and love them. I don' t have glass costa's to compare but do have some poly costa's that i really like. can't go wrong and when you stare at a reflective surface all day the comfort and protection are worth the spend.
Travis A.
Posted 6/10/2015 8:23 AM (#771989 - in reply to #715899)

Thanks guys. These will be bought for musky fishing but used for other stuff too. After looking into the color options more I think the blue mirror would be too dark in mornings, evenings, and cloudy days like you guys said. I think I'm going with the silver mirror. Get the benefits of the brighter contrast of the copper base to see follows and work in low light conditions and the silver mirrior to block out more of the reflective glare on the bright mid day conditions which is all I really need. I don't like dark glasses anyway. Sounds like the best compromise if only going to buy one pair. Green mirror and silver mirror sound pretty similar. The site I'm looking at only has the silver mirror in stock in plastic anyway.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 6/10/2015 11:25 AM (#772028 - in reply to #715899)

Do yourself a favor and look on Steep and Cheap for Costas and buy the 580 glass lenses in blue, green or silver. You won't be disappointed.
jaultman
Posted 6/17/2015 12:56 PM (#772947 - in reply to #715899)

There's a huge selection on Steep and Cheap right now. Not quite the huge discount that they sometimes offer - it's like 40% off instead of the impressive 60% off - but a way better selection than I've ever seen. Just FYI.
achotrod
Posted 6/17/2015 6:45 PM (#772998 - in reply to #715899)

Love my Costas 580p with green mirror over amber. Amazing how much better they are then the walmart glasses I used to use.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)