Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> survival suits fall musky fishing

Message Subject: survival suits fall musky fishing
Muskyteer
Posted 10/8/2014 11:30 AM (#734016)
Subject: survival suits fall musky fishing

Hi,
i'm currently looking to buy myself a survival suits, mustang, helly hansen, Salus, etc.....do you have any suggestions on which brand to choose and where can I get one at this time of year.
I've done research in the Ottawa region but can't find any store that carries the large model.

thanks for any advise or tips.
Mojo1269
Posted 10/8/2014 11:37 AM (#734019 - in reply to #734016)
Subject: Re: survival suits fall musky fishing

Check out the jackets/bibs made by Stormr. They use Neoprene in them so them are about as imperviouse to water as a wet suit and contain postive bouyancy as well so well they are not 100% a survial suit they embody many of the properties of them.. I had a Typhone Jacket last year that I sold to a buddy when I dropped some weight and bought a Stryker this year. Might suit your purposed and easily found online...
tcbetka
Posted 10/8/2014 11:39 AM (#734020 - in reply to #734016)

I have a two-piece Mustang suit, 2XL that I used for a year. I haven't used it in a few years, and actually have it listed in the classifieds on this board. But the Mustang stuff is VERY nice. The one-piece suits are quite expensive though--even more than the $600ish I paid for this two-piece outfit (with hood). The jackets are USCG-approved flotation devices, so that's a definite benefit as well. I went with the two-piece for both warmth and extra safety (I still wear an inflatable PFD), but in my opinion the one-piece unit would be the way to go for the ultimate in safety/survivability. Not that the two-piece set isn't very good, because it is. But of course the pants could fill with water--or you might only be wearing the jacket if you fell in. So it really is a compromise in that sense.

Convenience vs ultimate safety...you have to make the decision. If you want the absolute most safety you can get, by all means buy the one-piece suit. You can Google them to find sites where you can purchase these things. I had to order mine online, but I don't recall where I got it. But I do know it was in the $550-600 range when I bought it though.

TB
detroithardcore
Posted 10/9/2014 4:22 PM (#734186 - in reply to #734016)

I have a 1 piece Mustang Anti-Exposure Suit and paid nowhere near $600+. Land and Fall Navigation online has them for sale at $359 right now. Well worth it since it will save your life. It takes some time to get used to but once you do you'll find that it works when casting as well as being super warm! It'll keep ya alive for something like 3 hours in 40 degree water.
CASTING55
Posted 10/10/2014 1:30 PM (#734268 - in reply to #734186)

check ebay I think the cheapest I found for the mustang was 359-369,a couple months ago I got a deal on mine with free shipping,couldn`t pass it up for the price.when I tried it on I was burning up,I could tell it was gonna be super warm when I do wear it in the late fall or even winter time
Muskyteer
Posted 10/15/2014 9:53 AM (#735097 - in reply to #734016)

I found a helly hansen alpha one piece suit large and it fits perfect.....299$ plus taxe!! Got it from le Baron outdoors in Ottawa and I think a got the last one, they had to call the other store to get it for me!!
i've tried it on last saturday in the morning is was pretty chilli but i was very confortable with the helly hansen suit!!
tcbetka
Posted 10/15/2014 10:06 AM (#735100 - in reply to #734186)

detroithardcore - 10/9/2014 4:22 PM

I have a 1 piece Mustang Anti-Exposure Suit and paid nowhere near $600+. Land and Fall Navigation online has them for sale at $359 right now. Well worth it since it will save your life. It takes some time to get used to but once you do you'll find that it works when casting as well as being super warm! It'll keep ya alive for something like 3 hours in 40 degree water.

There are different models available, and many of them are still selling for $500-600 and above. A simple Google check shows this. But I do indeed see that there is a model for under $400 though, so that might be a great way to go. But the one-piece suits I was looking at when I purchased my two-piece gear, were more than what I paid. It's also possible that they've all decreased in price since I bought mine back in the 2007/2008 time frame.

TB
detroithardcore
Posted 10/15/2014 11:12 AM (#735113 - in reply to #734016)

Yeah probably much different from back in 08'/09'. Maybe this helps? The link below is where I bought mine. I tried mine this summer out at the lake and was amazed how I was dry and floating after laying in the water for at least 30 min.

http://m.landfallnavigation.com/-sis2i.html
tcbetka
Posted 10/15/2014 2:23 PM (#735150 - in reply to #735113)

Sweet! I think I got my gear from there as well, as I recognize the name.

Check out the price on the "industrial" version of the one-piece unit:

http://m.landfallnavigation.com/smsd900.html

That is the sort of price range that I recall seeing when I bought my two-piece set, although I have also seen other Mustang one-piece suits in the $700-900 range. They must have several different models.

TB
Imobley
Posted 10/15/2014 2:40 PM (#735154 - in reply to #735150)

Mustangs MS2175 Deluxe Anti-Exposure Coverall are on sale for 359 at sunny sports online right now normally they are around 450
detroithardcore
Posted 10/15/2014 5:51 PM (#735177 - in reply to #735150)

Ahhh...yes. I see now...we were talking about two different suits. Cool stuff! Mustang is on top of the survival game. I really enjoy the gear they put out!

tcbetka - 10/15/2014 3:23 PM

Sweet! I think I got my gear from there as well, as I recognize the name.

Check out the price on the "industrial" version of the one-piece unit:

http://m.landfallnavigation.com/smsd900.html

That is the sort of price range that I recall seeing when I bought my two-piece set, although I have also seen other Mustang one-piece suits in the $700-900 range. They must have several different models.

TB
IM Musky Time
Posted 3/3/2015 2:53 PM (#757093 - in reply to #734016)

Wanted to bump this up again. Will be in the market for a different suit next year and the closeout season is upon us. I'm interested in a two piece suit that floats.
bryantukkah
Posted 3/5/2015 12:36 PM (#757546 - in reply to #757093)

You can find the mustang jackets (not the bomber style) used online for pretty cheap. Got mine a couple years ago lightly used for $75. Bibs are a little tougher to get cheap but its doable. Be patient.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)