Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Crestliner Pro Tiller vs Lund Pro Guide

Reply New post
Message Subject: Crestliner Pro Tiller vs Lund Pro Guide
rsheppard23
Posted 1/19/2015 5:23 PM (#749443)
Subject: Crestliner Pro Tiller vs Lund Pro Guide

Hi everyone, i read your posts/discussions nearly everyday, but this is my first time posting and im looking for some help. Lookin to buy my first new boat and was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with or opinions about the crestliner pro tiller or lund pro guide. Im looking at the 18 foot models. I primarily muskie fish in small/ medium size lakes and rivers with an occasional trip to big water. If muskie arent cooperating i will target other species as well. Id say i cast and troll equal amounts. I have read the previous discussions on these boats but i was hoping someone might have some new input. Also, does anyone have an approximate draft for these rigs? Im curious.

As a side topic i was wondering if anyone had anything to say about 4 stroke outboard preferences. I have used honda in the past and i loved them, but unfortunately the dealerships near me can only provide yamaha and mercury. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rick
muskyhunter47
Posted 1/19/2015 6:09 PM (#749446 - in reply to #749443)
Subject: Re: Crestliner Pro Tiller vs Lund Pro Guide

Both good boat brands. Go to a boat show there you can see them side by side. See witch one you like better. As for motor Yamaha makes a great 4 stroke Motor. Mercury makes good motors as well. It will come down to personal preference .
rsheppard23
Posted 1/19/2015 6:16 PM (#749448 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks for the reply. I was at the chicago show yesterday. Of course, crestliner did not have any pro tillers present, but i told the local dealership to give me a call when they do. The lund was very nice, as expected.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 1/19/2015 6:32 PM (#749449 - in reply to #749443)
Subject: RE: Crestliner Pro Tiller vs Lund Pro Guide

Just me but Id go with the lund, as for outboards its a toss up on the MERC or YAMAHA in your case Id Go with the closest one that gives you the best buy and service. I see in your post that your going to be fishing smaller lakes and rivers an 18 ft boat sound's a bit large also if they are shallow lakes the bigger the boat the more water your will need, also in rivers you need more power for current. a river can do things to you fast and power can get you out of trouble. I am on my 5th boat and every one is bigger then the last one. If your set on a 18fter get it as the more you fish the larger the lakes will be that's just seems to be that way for most fishermen. Good Luck to you, a new boat is just like a toy enjoy !! O yes get a 4 stroke
rsheppard23
Posted 1/19/2015 6:49 PM (#749451 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks for your input. I said 18' in my post but i meant 17'6" and 17'9". I am comfortable with those lengths in my waters. I am still curious about what these boats draft with 70 or 90's on them. Does yamaha have an RPM control like the merc tiller?
sliding rock
Posted 1/19/2015 6:58 PM (#749453 - in reply to #749443)

I have a 1775 pro guide with a 90 merc. The boat is 17'9". I think you could get into a foot of water with the engine trimmed up. Top speed with the 90 is around 43mph. Lots of room!
rsheppard23
Posted 1/19/2015 7:12 PM (#749455 - in reply to #749443)

Thats what i like to hear! Thank you. I used to want a console boat but after fishing out of a couple larger tillers i decided its a no brainer in my opinion. Soo much space, and i say bring the weather on. Rock, if you dont mind me asking, would you even consider running that boat with a 70 (or 75?)? Or would it be too underpowered.
muskyhunter47
Posted 1/19/2015 7:51 PM (#749459 - in reply to #749455)

It's not the same boat but my brother n law has a ranger 18 foot tiller had a 90 E Tech was under powered bought the 90 H.O likes it much better.
dfkiii
Posted 1/19/2015 7:53 PM (#749460 - in reply to #749455)

rsheppard23 - 1/19/2015 7:12 PM

Thats what i like to hear! Thank you. I used to want a console boat but after fishing out of a couple larger tillers i decided its a no brainer in my opinion. Soo much space, and i say bring the weather on. Rock, if you dont mind me asking, would you even consider running that boat with a 70 (or 75?)? Or would it be too underpowered.

My experience ( albeit with a different boat) is that you should power the hull with the maximum horsepower it can handle. I didn't, and I'm sorry I didn't. I won't make that mistake again !
rsheppard23
Posted 1/19/2015 8:17 PM (#749466 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks you guys. It seems that 99.9% of people say you should max out the hp the boat is rated for. My thinking is that i rarely go WOT for long periods of time (mostly because i hate being on the water without a rod in the water for more then 30 seconds). And if i went with a smaller outboard, id save some weight in the stern too. Idk maybe im wrong; it wouldnt be the first time
curleytail
Posted 1/19/2015 8:24 PM (#749467 - in reply to #749443)

I don't have experience with either of those boats, but the only boats I have owned have been tillers.

The thing with tillers is they are "underpowered" for the hull anyway. I'd guess those boats you are looking at would max at 150hp or more with a console.

Top speed might not be your problem, but getting out of the hole with 2-3 guys and gear in big wind and rough water is the biggest reason to max a tiller out in my opinion.

If you never get anywhere where the weather can get scary, you might be ok dropping some horses and propping it right. Resale will take a ding with the smaller motor and it might be harder to sell in general.
rsheppard23
Posted 1/19/2015 8:28 PM (#749468 - in reply to #749443)

Very good points boss
ranger618
Posted 1/19/2015 9:29 PM (#749474 - in reply to #749459)

muskyhunter47 - 1/19/2015 7:51 PM

It's not the same boat but my brother n law has a ranger 18 foot tiller had a 90 E Tech was under powered bought the 90 H.O likes it much better.

I had a ranger 618 tiller with a 90 Suzuki/Johnson, and it was not " under powered ". It would easily get up on plane with 3 big men and a LOT of gear. Top speed was 32 - 36 depending on load.

To the op. as others have said, tillers are rated fairly low so you want to go with the max rated HP. Mainly so you can get on plane with a heavy load in the wind.

And both the Crestliner and the Lund are very good boats, so pick the one you like the layout of best. also consider the 1850 Crestliner it will run as shallow as the 1750.

Edited by ranger618 1/19/2015 9:35 PM
ranger618
Posted 1/19/2015 9:48 PM (#749477 - in reply to #749443)

Also look at Backtroller and Tuffy boats, they make really good tillers in the same size and price range.
http://www.backtroller.com

http://www.tuffyboats.com
muskyrat
Posted 1/19/2015 10:35 PM (#749482 - in reply to #749443)

You need to max out tiller as the coast guard already reduces the HP to barley functional levels. It`s not like a console where you could go with 30% less hp and just sacrifice speed. The same hull in console will max out almost double. Tiller always needs max hp. Crestliner are very nice but give me a glass tiller and I`m in trolling bliss.
rsheppard23
Posted 1/20/2015 2:54 AM (#749486 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks guys. I really liked the tuffys but i think id be better off with aluminum at this point, plus the dearest dealer is a almost 2 hours away.
muskyhunter47
Posted 1/20/2015 6:14 AM (#749492 - in reply to #749486)

Don't be afraid to drive I drove 2 hrs away to buy my skeeter and i would do it again. Unless you plan on buying a lemon. You won't have to bring it back unless something fails on your rig and you need it fixed. More then likely your going. to have this rig for a few year buy the rig you want
sjb42
Posted 1/20/2015 1:30 PM (#749569 - in reply to #749443)

Lots of good info on this thread,I would check out both models and decide what you like and dislike and go from there.The new 4stokes are nice and they have very good throttle control for trolling speed which is very important which any troller will tell you. I would not get a underpowered boat,every person ive ever talked that had a underpowered boat wish they had the max HP for their boat.Then when you ever want to sell it or trade it in the first thing people will say is its underpowered and offer you less for it.
rsheppard23
Posted 1/20/2015 3:02 PM (#749581 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks for the help guys. How do you guys feel about these gunnel track systems for rod holders etc..? Are they strong enough for big esox baits? Every other rod holder ive used has been bolted directly to the gunnel
Wood_Duck
Posted 1/21/2015 7:51 AM (#749671 - in reply to #749451)

rsheppard23 - 1/19/2015 7:49 PM

Thanks for your input. I said 18' in my post but i meant 17'6" and 17'9". I am comfortable with those lengths in my waters. I am still curious about what these boats draft with 70 or 90's on them. Does yamaha have an RPM control like the merc tiller?

Yamaha models have an RPM adjustment located just behind the twist throttle. Also their big tiller handle is priced similar to Mercurys standard tiller handle which if you want the Merc big tiller, the price is absolutely insane.
partlycloudy
Posted 1/21/2015 4:07 PM (#749736 - in reply to #749443)

If you have a dealer near take a look at the Alumacraft Competitor tillers also. Many guides running them and any brand motor available from Aluma as they're not hooked up with any motor company. Bill
rsheppard23
Posted 1/21/2015 4:17 PM (#749737 - in reply to #749443)

in terms of cost, how does alumacraft compare to crestliner? There is a dealership nearby, but i do not know that much about them.
partlycloudy
Posted 1/21/2015 7:06 PM (#749761 - in reply to #749737)

Don't know Crestliner pricing but the competitor is priced well below the pro guide. Bill
rsheppard23
Posted 1/21/2015 8:36 PM (#749787 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks bill
smalljaw
Posted 1/30/2015 8:09 AM (#750968 - in reply to #749443)

Re: your question about Yamaha VTS vs. Merc Big Tiller handle...

I'm sitting here in my Yamaha hat and have been a die-hard "blue" fan for years. Had the 150 4 stroke on my Ranger Reata and now have the 60 4 stroke with VTS handle on my 16 foot Yarcraft tiller. Flawless motors, but i admit being quite disappointed in the VTS handle. Perhaps my expectations were too high. That being said, i would rename the handle "Variable RPM handle" not "Variable SPEED handle." For two years I have tried to adjust my trolling speed with the VTS handle to no avail. Maybe it will occasionally go up or down 1/10 of a mph...but maybe it's just me wanting and willing it to adjust and is more in my head. I have had it into the dealership and they hooked it up to the computer. They have also talked to the Yamaha tech and the answer is the same - yes with the VTS handle you can adjust the RPM's maybe from 600 to 900 but the total amount is maybe 400 RPM's max. This equates to no difference in speed on the water.

They did say larger HP tillers may have more of a variance in RPM's and that will equate to more/less speed but I'm guessing a couple tenths of a mph which seems insignificant to me in most cases.

Also, the VTS does nothing for torque reduction on the shoulder or power steering.

Of course the Merc Big Tiller handle reduces torque and provides easy steering. I guess I don't know how many RPM's, or more importantly, how many MPH the handle can make at 60, 75 or 90 HP, or whatever - and I would be very interested to hear personal feedback.

I do have to agree that the price on the Big Tiller handle seems outrageous. This is how tillers with less horsepower and no added console end up costing as much as SC or DW that have more HP. Will the cost eventually come down or do we just need another competitor with similar capability to drive the price down to something more reasonable?

Or, will I bite the bullet and end up wearing a black hat this time next year?
scmuskies
Posted 1/30/2015 8:50 AM (#750974 - in reply to #750968)

I've got the VTS handle on my 75 yamaha & love it - ranging from 1.6 - 3.2 mph on my Navigator 165. The ability to bump up / down in small increments is great - especially when dealing with currents. If I need to go faster than 3, just twist the revs up a bit & tighten the throttle resistance & set.
rsheppard23
Posted 1/30/2015 8:19 PM (#751105 - in reply to #749443)

Thanks guys. So sounds like majority of you recommend the yamaha?
sworrall
Posted 1/30/2015 10:15 PM (#751122 - in reply to #751105)

I'd recommend the Merc. The Big Tiller comes in two models, one with hydraulic steering and the other without.

'The Big Tiller.

The optional center-mounted Big Tiller offers optimal control. A longer tiller grip incorporates a convenient power trim switch, the shift lever is close at hand, and an optional digital troll control adjusts engine speed as low as 700 rpm in 10-rpm increments.'

Troll with confidence. And comfort.

Set it and forget it. Concentrate on the fish, not the engine. Adjustable in 10-rpm increments for maximum performance. No better way to feather your speed. Optional power steering -- available on a wide range of Mercury® outboards -- for additional control and operator comfort. Provides for "two finger" control and minimal engine feedback through the arm. Total trolling comfort. Integrated key-start for additional convenience.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/steering/big-tiller/

I have sold both arms, the one with power steering and the one without.
BSG
Posted 2/1/2015 3:06 PM (#751373 - in reply to #751122)

I have a 1825 Pro guide, 90 merc 4 stroke combo. I'll throw out a review from my side.

I went to boat shows, and fishing shows to maximize my viewing pleasure and compared models in the 18ft models.

I ended up buying a slightly used (40 hours on motor) 2012 in the fall of 2012, so I've got a little bit of time on it now (240 hours on motor).

I have the big tiller handle, and it's awesome. One of the best features out there available for tiller guys.

I am a multi species guy, so I fish walleyes early in the year and a little bit of bass, then transition to muskies later in the summer and into the fall.

I really like this rig. Does just about everything well. Backtrolls nice, good amount of front deck space, decent storage, and the electronics locker is a neat feature as well.

A few things I dislike though, no rod storage for 8-9'6" rods. So your favorite long muskie rods just sit out in the open when trailering, not a huge deal but it would be nice. I basically use my center rod storage for storing 3700 planos with lures in them. Another thing I dislike is the front livewell up front, I have no use for it. I barely keep fish, so it's basically storage for boat bumpers, junk like that.

Anyways that got long winded, PM me if you want some pics or any other info.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (103KB - 317 downloads)
sarwanov
Posted 2/2/2015 1:27 AM (#751467 - in reply to #749443)

I personally prefer both boats!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)