Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Which river in Wisconsin early June

Message Subject: Which river in Wisconsin early June
ttrap
Posted 1/1/2015 10:30 AM (#746197)
Subject: Which river in Wisconsin early June

Looking at taking first week of June off. Looking for some general towns or ramps to put in at for river smallies, pike and maybe muskie. I am not familiar with rivers in wisconsin. Anyone care to give me some general info would be great.

I know there are lots of options but I would hate to pick a random spot and have the water to be too skinny to run in. If you don't want to post on here shoot me a pm.

Thanks guys
AndrewR
Posted 1/1/2015 3:32 PM (#746226 - in reply to #746197)
Subject: RE: Which river in Wisconsin early June

What type of boat will you be fishing from?

I float the Wisconsin a lot throughout Vilas and Oneida. This would be my first recommendation for the mixed bag if you plan going at it with jon, utility V, kayak or canoe.... then get out and wade some on the side...... Amongst the best smallie water I've ever enjoyed if you time it right.

Last two yrs during May/Early June have been sketchy and difficult due to lots of rainfall and high water from the melt-off. I'll never float the upper Wisco at that time of year unless the USGS gauge is a high but manageable 900cfs or less. Current isn't fun.

I'll throw in a recommendation also for the St. Croix, Menominee/Brule, and others on the map. Each one is a different adventure. Shoot me a message if you'd like.
ttrap
Posted 1/1/2015 4:31 PM (#746229 - in reply to #746197)
Subject: Re: Which river in Wisconsin early June

I have a 18.5' x 66 snyder outboard jet boat. It runs pretty shallow. Is very stable. I was kinda worried about the river levels that time of the year. That was one reason I was asking. I have the second week in July off also so that could be an option as well if levels stabilize then. Thanks
tyler k
Posted 1/2/2015 4:35 PM (#746329 - in reply to #746197)

Lately the water has been really high on the Wisconsin River that time of year (sometimes dangerously so), but if next year is a drought...kinda hard to predict this far out.
AndrewR
Posted 1/3/2015 8:57 PM (#746467 - in reply to #746329)

tyler k - 1/2/2015 4:35 PM

Lately the water has been really high on the Wisconsin River that time of year (sometimes dangerously so), but if next year is a drought...kinda hard to predict this far out.

X2.
Haven't been able to fish the upper WI these last two May's simply because of that.
However, it seems like its been more manageable further south around the flowage belt down in Wausau/Point and the major tributaries.

As for the jet and 18 and a half footer, it should be fine on most of these medium size flows throughout the state. Had the pleasure of fishing from a 17 foot jet during one skinny water adventure in mid August.
ttrap
Posted 1/4/2015 11:01 PM (#746658 - in reply to #746197)

Okay thanks guys. So it appears a river trip early in the year isn't the best bet.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/5/2015 1:26 PM (#746718 - in reply to #746197)

Lots of stretches a guy can't run unless the water is high.
Pick just about any flowage (made by the Chippewa or Flambeau Rivers) with a good population of muskies and fish upstream till you can't go anymore. If the water is too high then you can always just fish the flowage part.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)