Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fly gear

Message Subject: Fly gear
tolle141
Posted 11/7/2014 9:35 AM (#738819)
Subject: Fly gear

Hi Everyone,

Been having some fantastic action from shore this year and I'm in search of a new winter hobby so I figure I have 6-8 months to learn how to tie muskie flies.

Couple of questions:
Rods - what do you use? 10w vs 11w? I already have a 7 and 8 so this would be more specialized than anything else. Would see salt action.

Favorite flies? What do you tie?

Thanks!

Ben T
Flambeauski
Posted 11/7/2014 10:49 AM (#738832 - in reply to #738819)
Subject: RE: Fly gear

10 is plenty unless you plan on fishing halibut with some of esoxfly's salmon carcass imitators.
I don't tie, as I really enjoy shopping for new patterns. Here's one of my favorites before it got munched beyond recognition, length is about 8 inches.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(037 (1024x768).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 037 (1024x768).jpg (116KB - 315 downloads)
WINDKNOT
Posted 11/7/2014 11:33 AM (#738841 - in reply to #738819)
Subject: Re: Fly gear

I like a fast 9wt. Flys big Leftys Deceivers/ClouserMinnows/Half&Halfs/Bunnyleeches tied on 4/0 hooks.
detroithardcore
Posted 11/8/2014 7:04 AM (#738957 - in reply to #738819)
Subject: Re: Fly gear

10wt is most common but I've used both an 11 and 12wt to get bigger flies out there! I'm in the market for an 11wt for both Tarpon and Muskie. I've narrowed it down to 3 rods I really want! As far as flies and any fly talk I'd send a PM to Jeff Breidenbach (Esoxfly). He's a wealth of knowledge and makes some fantastic flies!! Great Lakes Fly also makes some great flies. It's a whole other ball game trying to sling big Muskie flies compared to smaller normal stuff but the fly lines out there today are simply amazing. I've stayed away from all the "Muskie/Pike" fly lines out on the market. They just don't get the fly deep enough for where I fish. I went with a Type 6 line to get that fly down. I've had more experience fly casting for Bass and Tarpon and haven't had any action on Muskie yet but looking forward to it as soon as I got the time to get out on the water.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)