Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Missing strikes on Whopper Plopper?

Message Subject: Missing strikes on Whopper Plopper?
ajrod88
Posted 11/5/2014 8:30 PM (#738655)
Subject: Missing strikes on Whopper Plopper?

I am relatively new to musky fishing and recently started using whopper ploppers. These lures are fish magnets! I have had more fish action with this lure than all my other lures combined! BUT i have a big problem. I still have not boated a fish on one. Fish comes in a hammers the lure and half a second later the lure is coming past me at 70 MPH. It happens so fast i'm not even sure what is happening. It seems almost like the fish grabs the lure loads the rod and spits it before i even can blink. What am I doing wrong? Any tips? Please! thanks
mnmusky
Posted 11/5/2014 8:36 PM (#738657 - in reply to #738655)
Subject: Re: Missing strikes on Whopper Plopper?

WAIT till you feel the weight of the fish. Then set the hooks hard with a side sweep of the rod. It's a topper, lots get lost.
Zib
Posted 11/5/2014 9:40 PM (#738662 - in reply to #738655)
Subject: RE: Missing strikes on Whopper Plopper?

Another thing to do is pit heat shrink tubing on the back hook.

Masqui-ninja
Posted 11/5/2014 10:23 PM (#738666 - in reply to #738662)
Subject: RE: Missing strikes on Whopper Plopper?

An old english fly fishing trick is to say "god save the queen" and then set the hook.

Sometimes a rush of water pushes the topwater out of the fish's grasp and there is not much we can do.
newmuskyz
Posted 11/6/2014 4:39 AM (#738675 - in reply to #738657)

Wait to set.....but also add shrink tubing to the back hook to make it stay parallel to the lure body. Search the topic on here I believe there was a recent post involving shrink tubing on rear hooks of topwater.
hoosierhunter
Posted 11/6/2014 8:34 AM (#738685 - in reply to #738655)

my problem is not getting hooks in them with the whopper plopper it is getting them to hit them. seems like where I fish we have a lot more luck with top raiders. as the others have said though you have to wait until you feel the fish,
waldo
Posted 11/6/2014 8:52 AM (#738688 - in reply to #738685)

Are you sharpening the hooks? Some new musky guys don't realize this is really important, and the hooks on whopper ploppers are very dull out of the gate. They also have a thick hook, you could also try a little thinner hook for better penetration, would still need to sharpen it regularly.
ajrod88
Posted 11/6/2014 6:12 PM (#738765 - in reply to #738688)

Thanks for the tips guys! Trying to keep hooks sharp. I'll try the shrink tube thing. When the fish strikes what do i do until i feel the fish? Hold still, keep reeling, give line slack, ........? Also what angle should i be holding my rod to the lure when retrieving? I normally have been pointing it almost straight a the lure. Maybe that is part of my problem!?
sworrall
Posted 11/6/2014 7:22 PM (#738768 - in reply to #738765)

Just keep reeling the same speed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)