Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> rev4 prop compared to tempest or trophy?

Reply New post
Message Subject: rev4 prop compared to tempest or trophy?
Macintosh
Posted 9/8/2014 10:21 AM (#729119)
Subject: rev4 prop compared to tempest or trophy?

I’m looking at a boat purchase and wondering if someone might help give me some insight into the prop setup. It’s a 19’6” bass boat with a 200hp 3l engine, but most of the “bass boat people” characterize this particular boat as a bit slow, a bit less than zippy with a 200 (it is a bit larger, a bit deeper and 150-ish lb heavier than most of the same manufacturers other models of 19’ boats). I was told (?) the manufacturer at some point actually changed the top cap on the same hull in order to alter the overall dimensions and raise the HP limit…in short, the boat is a bit heavier and requires a bit more torque to behave like a bass boat is supposed to. I posted this here because while most of the “go fast” crowd says this rig needs a 25p tempest plus prop, a few people run a 25p trophy...but the rig I’m looking at has a 23p Rev4 prop—my understanding is that this prop is much more common on multispecies boats and I figured people here might have some insight into how a 25p tempest or trophy might compare to a 23p rev4 on a boat like this. So, does anyone have a sense of whether a 25p tempest and a 23p rev4 are +/- for the same boat but with different performance goals, or if they are really mismatched? (i.e. would a 24p rev4 be more similar, etc)

Thanks for any insight.
VMS
Posted 9/9/2014 9:39 PM (#729402 - in reply to #729119)
Subject: Re: rev4 prop compared to tempest or trophy?

Hiya,

In a nutshell, the tempest and Rev4 are designed with very similar blade geometry, with the tempest being a 3 blade and the Rev4 being a 4 blade. Both are vented and can use plugs to adjust hole-shot to your desired liking. The Rev4 will run a tad smoother due to 4 blades, which also means better lift and better bite than the tempest...all due to the extra blade surface area contacting the water. Both of those props are designed to really lift the entire boat from bow to stern and many have found the Rev4 to be a great prop for bow heavy boats like some of the older Ranger boats that had their gas tanks built into the bow rather than mid ship centered behind the console.

The Trophy plus series is also a 4 blade, but has less rake and a more rounded tip. It is a strong prop for lighter boats (like many bass boats) and higher motor heights. It will handle lighter boats really well and is why you see many bigger bass boats running this prop. It holds well, and has venting versatility like the other two, with a larger blade surface area.

Given the numbers on your motor (RPMs) are at their max while lightly loaded, the following can be considered a general comparison, but varies from boat to boat.

So..in comparison, the tempest in 25 pitch will be the overall fastest propeller as it only has 3 blades. The 23 pitch Rev4 will be a tad slower due to the extra blade, which requires going down the 2 inches in pitch to account for the extra surface area (more friction with the water), but that extra blade will make the prop hook up much better than the tempest. The drop in 2 inches is to maintain top RPM.

The trophy, being a little less aggressive, might have the capability to be run in a 25 pitch.

Just from your description, I would see what happens with the Rev4. If your boat is a little deeper than the normal bass boat, and a little heavier, you might find that Rev4 to be a really nice prop on the rig. The only way to know is to test, and no matter where you live, you should be able to find a dealer that offers a demo program (blue props) which allows you to test various props in different pitches and diameters. This usually is part of a purchase of a prop through them so it can be a little costly as the props are full price and new.

Steve

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/compare/?e[]=1064&e[]...

Edited by VMS 9/9/2014 9:40 PM
Macintosh
Posted 9/12/2014 4:27 AM (#729738 - in reply to #729119)
Subject: Re: rev4 prop compared to tempest or trophy?

PERFECT info, thanks so much! i really appreciate the detail and insight, found that extremely helpful. This is a boat I'm in the process of doing a pre purchase inspection on, and since its not the typical setup for this boat i was interested in what Id find during a water test--hard to judge the combo if its set up totally wrong. Sounds like this could actually be a good setup for me, but nice to put what I'm seeing into a little perspective.
Again, thanks a ton!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)