Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tagged muskies on Tonka

Message Subject: Tagged muskies on Tonka
Muskie Treats
Posted 8/24/2014 9:26 AM (#726830)
Subject: Tagged muskies on Tonka

Hello everyone.

Just a reminder to be checking your fish on Tonka. If you catch a fish up to 40" it should have a tag on it. Look just below the dorsal fin and you should see a yellow tag. There's a very good chance that it's full of algae so you may have to scrap it off a bit. If you don't have a pen and paper, just take a pic of it with you cell phone.

We need this data to complete a study that the Twin Cities Chapter started 8-10 years ago (God I'm getting old) to determine survival rates among fish of different sizes among other things.

Thank you and good fishing!
Jcurf24
Posted 8/25/2014 8:37 PM (#727016 - in reply to #726830)
Subject: RE: Tagged muskies on Tonka

I feel bad I have caught 2 sub 30s this year one on tonka one on WBL both with tags both with algae all over the tags.... Both fish wanted no part of me touching the tag or scraping it off. Instead of hurting the fish I released them.
bllhogg
Posted 8/25/2014 10:11 PM (#727033 - in reply to #726830)
Subject: Re: Tagged muskies on Tonka

Had a hand full of sub 40" fish on Tonka and haven't seen any tags... I guess I wasn't looking for them. Is there an expected percentage of fish in a certain year class that should be tagged?
jasond
Posted 8/26/2014 10:44 AM (#727080 - in reply to #727033)

Shawn, do you have tagged fish in Waconia too? I caught a dink (20" or so) that i am guessing was a recently stocked fish that didn't have a tag in it.

Sorgy
Posted 8/26/2014 12:35 PM (#727101 - in reply to #727080)

Currently I know that Minnetonka, White Bear and Bald Eagle lakes all have a study ongoing. Fingerlings and Yearlings were stocked for at least the last 4 years at a ratio of 3 fingerlings to 1 yearlings. The fingerlings were reared in a pond over the summer and then stocked in the fall. The Yearlings were left in the ponds over the winter and stocked sometime the next year.
All the fish in these lakes had yellow tags -visible along the dorsal fin( they are small and the numbers are even smaller). They also have a PIT tag inserted under the skin that is NOT -VISIBLE. They can only be read by a PIT tag reader.
The DNR has readers and both the North Metro and Twin Cities Chapter purchased readers to help collect data for this study.
The North Metro Chapter has 3 of the readers and we put one in Ryan McMahon's boat. He guides almost full time on Bald Eagle and White Bear Lakes.
We also have readers in members boats durring our league nights.
As of earlier this summer the 43" class fish from Bald Eagle or larger they did not carry any PIT tags.
Hopefully it can be determined where best to spend our stocking dollars localy and state wide.
If anyone can give better information on the sizes of these little muskies when stocked and more details on the study please help.

Good Luck

Steve
Musky952
Posted 8/28/2014 1:16 PM (#727505 - in reply to #726830)
Subject: RE: Tagged muskies on Tonka

I just recently caught a fish with a tag. It was a healthy 35 but nothing over 40.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)