Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Choosing Hardhead vs. Bulldawg/Medusa?

Message Subject: Choosing Hardhead vs. Bulldawg/Medusa?
goose007us
Posted 7/30/2014 4:27 PM (#723380)
Subject: Choosing Hardhead vs. Bulldawg/Medusa?

Another question regarding rubber as I try to improve my skills with fishing rubber: During what conditions/for what reasons would you use a Hardhead vs. a Bulldawg/Medusa and vice versa? it would seem to me that a Bulldaw/Medusa might have a big more "hang" time on teh pause if ripping? Thanks.
musky2424
Posted 7/30/2014 7:27 PM (#723409 - in reply to #723380)
Subject: RE: Choosing Hardhead vs. Bulldawg/Medusa?

U can use all three all year long
Mr Musky
Posted 7/30/2014 8:01 PM (#723415 - in reply to #723380)
Subject: Re: Choosing Hardhead vs. Bulldawg/Medusa?

The hardhead can be used in any situation, any time of day, any time of the year.
dirtybird
Posted 7/31/2014 11:48 AM (#723567 - in reply to #723380)

I do think they all have their time and place but if I had to pick the one that is the most versatile I would have to say the hardhead. If the tail gets ripped off by a pike you are only out a few bucks. Changing colors is a breeze too. That cannot be said about the others. I have all of them and prefer the hardhead. I like to throw the medium in the spring and then go to the large the rest of the year. I have the paddle tails for mine also and they remind me of the shadzilla when they are straight cranked.
curleytail
Posted 7/31/2014 12:36 PM (#723578 - in reply to #723380)

I'm not sure if there's a set time to use one or the other. The Hardhead is by far the most versatile of any of them. Tail up or down, and unweighted to heavily weighted gives the bait different actions, and changes the depth it runs at.

I do tend to use the Hardhead more when I'm working it a little more easily, giving it shorter hops. It has a good trigger on the fall (wobbles on the fall), so I think it triggers a lot of fish when using shorter hops or pulls, along with many pauses. When I'm really ripping baits hard I tend to use a rubber bait (Bulldawgs, Super D's, or Curley Sues for me). I think they usually move a little more water, and create a lot of turbulence when fished very agressively. I imagine they also have a little more "natural" sound due to being all rubber where a Hard head has a hook that can bang against the solid lure body.

I find myself reaching for a Hardhead most of the time, but I still throw rubber baits from time to time too, just to keep the fish honest.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)