Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Boat Control, Bow Mount or Stern Mount?

Message Subject: Boat Control, Bow Mount or Stern Mount?
sworrall
Posted 3/25/2003 2:44 PM (#64751)
Subject: Boat Control, Bow Mount or Stern Mount?

What is your choice of electric motor for boat control, a bow mount or stern mount? I use a bow mount because of the more precise control I get on a 'controlled drift'.

Which style do you like?

Trophymuskie
Posted 3/25/2003 2:50 PM (#64753 - in reply to #64751)
Subject: RE: Boat Control, Bow Mount or Stern Mount?

I have a bow mount as well. Fishing big waters won't let you work form the back sometimes but overall better control is had from the front. As well I believe the front to be a better fishing position letting you see more of the water or following fish.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/25/2003 2:56 PM (#64756 - in reply to #64751)

Bow mount, better control. I use a extention for my foot control so my clients can have the front without me standing between them. I can watch both at one time this way, sometimes even work with a third in the back.
Terry/JNR
Posted 3/25/2003 3:50 PM (#64761 - in reply to #64751)
Subject: RE: Boat Control

The only way to have total boat control is with both bow and stern working at the same time. I run a Powerdrive Autopilot in the bow and a Powerdrive in the rear on a special braket so I can have control of both motors at the same time from anywhere in the boat. I actually have 2 bow mount motors on the boat. I designed and make the brackets. The old "Mother of Necessity" deal.
Ranger
Posted 3/25/2003 3:55 PM (#64762 - in reply to #64756)

I like it in the behind.

Um.....wait a minute.....

I mean, I have a stern mount. My light 14' boat works ok with the stern mount, and I use an extension handle so I can stand in the middle of the floor for controlling the boat while continually casting. A bow mount would certainly be better, but it is also about three times the cost. Stern mounts can be ok for small craft.
crazycanuck
Posted 3/25/2003 4:38 PM (#64766 - in reply to #64762)

I have been using a transom mount electric for years and it SUCKS!!! Any amount of wind will swing the front of the boat around and I will lose all control. I usually end up going backwards in order to control the boat better. My old boat didn't have a mounting pad for a bow mount electric. However, my new boat does and I can't wait to finally fish without trolling motor frustration. Whenever you can, use a bow mount.
Plitz.....
Posted 3/25/2003 5:31 PM (#64771 - in reply to #64751)

I also have that transom mount problem.I run in reverse alot.Over the winter I seen a bracket to turn any transom style motor in to a bowmount so I will be trying that this year.Hope to also get a 55# thrust motor,that should move a 14' pretty good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)