Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW - Sabaskong Bay & Area: July '14

Message Subject: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay & Area: July '14
Dave8121
Posted 7/18/2014 8:50 AM (#721228 - in reply to #719325)
Subject: Re: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay & Area: July '14

Tim, were the fish coming on blades?
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/18/2014 4:07 PM (#721312 - in reply to #721228)

Flurry of activity on Thursday afternoon and evening in the Morson area. Sounds like other areas of the lake were hot as well. A few days of stable weather is all the fish need, as action has been getting better each day of the week.

I got out with the Goodfather in the Pooh boat after 3 weeks of dry dock and fished from 1pm til just after 9pm. Had some incredible activity after a bit of a slow start: 5 fish caught on 10 strikes, 1 fish lost and 8 other follows. Figure 8s got 3 fish to eat and 2 of those were landed. The biggest fish of the day was the fish that hit in a figure 8 and never came up before falling off. All the strikes came in Mag 8 bucktails. Godfather went 2 for 7 on flashabou. J-Man went 2 for 3 on marabou. The other fish came on crankbait ripped into shallow rock point.

The largest fish landed was my 44.5, which was the 2nd of nearly back to back fish caught on boatside strikes on the same point that featured 6 different fish (3 caught) during the afternoon major.

Other than the bucktail trend, the other pattern was rock. Rock points with boulders and shorelines leading to rock points. A couple fish hit on shorelines that would be sandy and have some weeds during normal water level years.

Water temps ranged from 68-73. The point with all the action definitely had some bait around it. Minnows were jumping as we retrieved.
fastcast2
Posted 7/18/2014 8:50 PM (#721340 - in reply to #721220)
Subject: RE: LOTW - Sabaskong Bay & Area: July '14

its been a though bite this week but switched to double 8s and have put a 48,43 a couple 40s and 39s in the boat all on rock and points.Most have been on small windows with the minors in the middle of the day.nothing in the morning and no top water bite for us.
jeff
timhutson1
Posted 7/18/2014 9:53 PM (#721345 - in reply to #719325)

Pictures of the 46" fish. My PB. Very excited about it. Also got a great GoPro video of it that I can post later.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/24/2014 9:56 AM (#722221 - in reply to #719325)

Tuesday was pretty slow after the storm Monday overnight. Sunny for a second day with reasonable winds. Water temps will come back up and fish should start to move around again. They have to eat sometime! I hope to get out around noon today *Thursday* to take a look around for the afternoon and evening.

Will cover some water faster with 3 people casting. Hope to find some active fish. Will report back tomorrow with a SITREP.

J-Man
brmusky
Posted 7/24/2014 10:39 AM (#722233 - in reply to #719325)

Just got back yesterday from 3.5 days of fishing in Morson area. Action was very slow but there are fish being caught.

We caught all of our fish in the early morning (latest was 10:00 one morning) and then again after 5:00 PM. I don't know if we had more than 4 follows between 10:00 AM and 5:00 PM during the whole time up there. Feeding windows were very short.

Traditional good spots held fish but they wouldn't show themselves often. You had to be there at primetime and keep casting until you get it to eat. Often there were multiple fish on a good spot.

We caught fish on double 8s, double 9s, single 8s, rubber, and glide baits. We didn't even move a fish on a topwater bait.

Good luck up there.... right now it is a test of patience and confidence to say the least.
timhutson1
Posted 7/24/2014 9:27 PM (#722362 - in reply to #721220)

Not great fishing for us up there. In total we were there for 7 full days of fishing (about 11 hours casting a day) and caught a total of 6 muskie. one 40.5" and one 46"; The others were all under 33". Of everyone we talked to we did the best. Many people were saying it was the worst fishing they have ever had up there. As we were leaving the water was starting to warm up significantly so i think there was a good chance that it did or will turn around soon.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 7/25/2014 7:05 PM (#722522 - in reply to #722362)

Water temps were mid 70s yesterday (7/24). Some algae floating around in places west of Morson. Fish were on rocks and in rushes...combinations of both nearby made it better. Heard reports of fish in weedy bays mid-day but we saw nothing in cabbage beds. Fish hit crankbaits, spinner baits and topwaters yesterday. Chased bucktails but did not eat.

I fished with a couple buddies and they graciously let me ride shotgun and pick the spots. The boat ended up 3-6. Landed a 47.5 (barbless crankbait on shallow rock) and a 41 (spinner bait in rushes) on the first spot during the second hour of the major. I couldn't get away from the dock in time for the first hour. Other was a peanut that hit a topwater. Only fish that ate boatside hit a crank and got off on the other side of the boat as I was trying to lead her around and get her settled down. It was a nice fish so that stung a little.

Several of our group lit it up yesterday with both size and numbers from different crews. One boat put up 6 and another ended up with a 50 and 46 on back to back spots during evening minor and lost another 4 footer.

Another crew said they found fish mid-afternoon in weedy bays, which was opposite of the rock pattern they had to start the week.

Fish seem to be all over, which is good and bad.

Good luck all!
curleytail
Posted 7/29/2014 7:53 PM (#723192 - in reply to #719325)

I've been watching the weather forecast for Morson like a hawk lately, and it looks like it has been warm, clear, and mostly dry for several days now. Is anybody up there, or just returned? Wondering if the dry weather has dropped the water levels or improved fishing much.

I'll be up for a week starting on the 9th and hope the stable weather sticks around for a while.

Edited by curleytail 7/29/2014 7:54 PM
adubs
Posted 7/30/2014 8:49 AM (#723265 - in reply to #723192)

curley,

I'll be heading up to mylies for a week starting 8/2. I checked the lake level online yesterday and it didn't appear that its dropped much at all and only expected to go down a couple inches over the next week or so according to them. I was also wondering about some reports of fishing. Everything seems to suggest tough fishing with the most action coming from pencil weeds/bull rushes with rocks near by. I've never fished LOTW with water levels even close to this high so, we're hoping for the best but kinda planning for a slower or at least more difficult time then we are used to. There are no cold fronts in the forecast as of now and some good south wind days so hopefully we can find a pattern and it will hold for a few days while we are there!! I'll post a report when we get back.

Adubs
Dave8121
Posted 7/30/2014 8:57 AM (#723267 - in reply to #719325)

Good luck Adubs, thanks. I'm heading up the week after you and look forward to your report!
short STRIKE
Posted 8/1/2014 9:47 AM (#723735 - in reply to #723267)

We leave for Sab in 18 hours, I am really pleased that the most stable weather of the year is coinciding with our trip. Can't wait to get out there.
2T Critter
Posted 8/1/2014 5:39 PM (#723809 - in reply to #723735)

I'm jealous. I don't get to leave for LOTW-Mylie's for 334 hours-translation two weeks too long. I'm hoping for stable weather as well.
Dave8121
Posted 8/4/2014 6:43 AM (#724013 - in reply to #719325)

Does anyone have any recent reports?
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/4/2014 8:36 PM (#724168 - in reply to #719325)

Started the August thread!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)