Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Well........At least we got a pike."
- (Added by: chadw18)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Envirotex Lite question

Message Subject: Envirotex Lite question
jboutdoorguy
Posted 7/7/2014 5:22 PM (#719575)
Subject: Envirotex Lite question

Hi guys, I have a question for anyone with experience with envirotex lite. I have used it on two occasions and the finish is great but it takes forever (days) to get hard when used at the 50/50 mix that are the directions. Should I try more hardener and abort the 50/50 mix? Any tips are appreciated.
bobtodd
Posted 7/7/2014 5:36 PM (#719576 - in reply to #719575)
Subject: Re: Envirotex Lite question

I mix 50/50 using a small disposable plastic measuring cup so I can get accurate amounts of both. It has to be exact or it will stay tacky. I think people have had issues with drying when it's humid out. Maybe try a heat lamp and see if that speeds the process up. Mine usually takes 14ish hours to dry and I can handle them without any issues.
genesisperformance
Posted 7/7/2014 6:15 PM (#719582 - in reply to #719575)

You can speed the process up if you can keep the ambient temperature high. Some people put a big box around their bait rotisserie with a high watt bulb inside

Edited by genesisperformance 7/7/2014 6:17 PM
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/7/2014 6:21 PM (#719584 - in reply to #719575)

Bob is right on. If your mix is off the baits will never dry. I have a half dozen prototype cranks in my garage that I did in February and they are still tacky. Your issue is probably humidity or temp. I have our house set at 74 and hang the baits in our family room after they come off the drying wheel(5-6 hrs) They are dry enough to handle after 12-16 hrs with now worry of figure prints. Temp must be over 70 and pretty dry. Warmer is better as long as humidity is low.

Also take it from me. Your wife will be very happy with you if you have 40-60 baits hanging in your family room all the time.
Tigerhunter
Posted 7/8/2014 6:46 AM (#719649 - in reply to #719575)

I had issues when I was mixing by eyesight, I asked for a digital scale for Christmas (~$20 on amazon) and mix by weight. I assume the two parts weigh close enough that my mix is 50/50. This has helped immensely. Before the scale I would get 1 out of 3 or 4 coats to be really good and the rest be kinda tacky. Now I've done two rounds of baits with 4-5 coats that have all turned out great. I also made a drying rack that helps a ton too.
h2os2t
Posted 7/8/2014 6:47 AM (#719650 - in reply to #719584)

Have not used envirotex for years but when I did sometimes I would mix it and then microwave it for 5 to 10 seconds and then use it. Make sure you do small amounts as it does not take long for it to start to get hard if you leave it in the mixing container. One thing to make sure of is not to mix it with the brush you spread it with, when you put the brush in it gets soaked with unmixed epoxy and it will stay tacky.
Riley-H
Posted 7/8/2014 5:08 PM (#719785 - in reply to #719575)

Do not mix by weight, i did it and found out they weigh different, back to syringes
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/8/2014 5:22 PM (#719790 - in reply to #719575)

I use epoxy mixing cups I found at my local hobby store. The are 30ml with 5ml increments. 4 bucks for like 100
Capt bigfish
Posted 7/8/2014 6:00 PM (#719797 - in reply to #719790)

One of the best things ever made for lure making is the digital scale.
I use it for measuring exact epoxy ratios (resin to hardner-10:9)
weighing blanks for consistancy, and final weight for data recording.
You'll see the benefits when you can accurately record your work.
Definitely a great tool I wish I used sooner for lure building.
Kenslures
Posted 7/8/2014 6:43 PM (#719800 - in reply to #719575)

I have been using Etex for about 15 years. I have had a few issues when I first started using it like it would draw away from an area I contaminated somehow. As far as mixing, I always use disposable syringes from a Veterinary Clinic. They have all kinds of sizes and very reasonable prices. The ones I use are only $0.40 per syringe. I use the same syringe for over a year. When I start out with a new set you have to mark the syringes for the hardner and for resin. I put two dots on the resin bottle and on one of the syringes. Then I put one dot on the hardner bottle and on the syringe. When I use a syringe I always wipe off the tip and put it back in the container it came in. If you think you need to clean them use finger nail polish remover (acetone) but don't put the acetone in a plastic mixing cup as it will melt. I use metal cups I got at Walmart that can be used over and over. If you clean the syringes take them apart and dry them and your good to go. In my opinion applying heat of any type only thins the Etex and can cause it to run. I never apply heat and never have an issue. Temp & humidity has a lot to do with the drying time. It can take up to 14 hrs but I have had it set up in 4-5 hrs in an ideal climate. I hope this is of some help and if I can be of any more help please let me know. Ken
bobtodd
Posted 7/8/2014 7:18 PM (#719808 - in reply to #719575)

Another important thing is to make sure you mix everything very well. I'll mix for a minute and a half and really whip it up good.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 7/8/2014 11:20 PM (#719850 - in reply to #719575)

Thanks for all the tips guys.
genesisperformance
Posted 7/9/2014 6:29 PM (#719977 - in reply to #719575)

I use a cheap digital food scale also for weighing out the 2 parts (and pouring lead in my baits) i re-zero it for each part to make sure i get the exact same amount.. compared to most here im a big time rookie so anything i can to do help make sure i get it right is a bonus.

Edited by genesisperformance 7/9/2014 6:31 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)