Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> CAVE RUN BAITS

Message Subject: CAVE RUN BAITS
Musky Fever
Posted 3/20/2003 7:10 AM (#64316)
Subject: CAVE RUN BAITS

What are some of the hot baits for the Cave?

Just a few more days!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve and I are leaving early Wednesday morning and should be fishing at around 1:00 or 2:00.
I can't wait to get a line wet!!!!!!!!!
nwild
Posted 3/20/2003 7:53 AM (#64324 - in reply to #64316)
Subject: RE: CAVE RUN BAITS

Last year when I was down there Hot colored twitchbaits were on. Orange Tiger Jakes, and Baby Shallow Raiders were key. Wednesday morning I will have a better feel for it, bait washing starts at 8 bells.
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/20/2003 8:41 AM (#64329 - in reply to #64316)

Ralph

Right now 006's are getting hit. These are minnow style bass baits, but the muskies are eating them right now.

Gliders, like the Manta has also taken a few. And any style of Twitch bait will work.
Not to many rattle trap fish right now, fish are not on the flats yet. They are still way up in the flooded timber where it is almost impossible to get to them.

I plan on hooking a few on Shallow Invaders, gliders and the possible Rat-L-Traps if these fish move out on flats.

I am heading down Friday afternoon, so hopefully I can find some type of pattern.

Hulbert
SteveHulbert
Posted 3/20/2003 11:28 AM (#64344 - in reply to #64316)

Bright Orange.  Enough Said.  I'm getting me a spray can of Flo. Orange Enamel paint before Ralph and I head down there. 

I hope they start move out to the flats and become more accessible.  It's the only time of the year that I get to catch muskies on bass lures!!! 

I think I'll bring down a few hot colored spinnerbaits too.  Something that will crawl over timbers without constantly getting hung up. 

And don't forget the proven tactics of Dave Christian....crawling jointed depth raiders over the timber.  I've been in the boat with him several times when this technique has scored early in the year. 

I'm not claiming to be any expert on the Cave by any means.  But I've mostly fished the Cave during this time of the year. 

Robby D
Posted 3/20/2003 2:35 PM (#64363 - in reply to #64316)

I hope you all have a great trip! Best of luck!
Musky Fever
Posted 3/20/2003 4:39 PM (#64383 - in reply to #64316)

STEVO,

I can't wait to nail some Kentucky SKI'S, hopefullly the weather will cooperate and we can all get on some fish!!!!!!!

See ya Wednesday morning!!!!!!!
Mallards-n-Muskies
Posted 3/20/2003 8:28 PM (#64402 - in reply to #64329)

Who makes the 006? What size is it and could you possibly post a pic? I'm not going to the CAVE but I am curious about that bait.

Thanks!

Pat

Posted 3/21/2003 7:45 AM (#64411 - in reply to #64316)

I will be fishing Cave Run for the first time the week of the challenge, so am also interested in baits, colors , and sizes. I'll be watching the board for more information.

Musky Bob
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/21/2003 8:07 AM (#64414 - in reply to #64411)

Bob the Cave offeres lots of patterns at this time of year. Rattle traps will work on the flats if the muskies move up onto them(very soon), twitching Slammers will work using loud colors if the water is muddy, gliders have a time and place(working the edges of timber and the flats), crank baits work casting the edges of timber, points, creek channels and trolled. We will do everything we can do to get everyone on fish. MuskieFirst outings are a learning experence for all who show up. The meeting and sharing of info will help all who attend. The Cave is a great fishery, if the fish move up onto the flats soon we could see some good number of fish caught by lots of us. I hope someone from down there will post something so we could trim down the arsonal, with tree guys in a boat and all their tackle it could be out of hand. Colors: Orange, Reds, White and Yellows have been the best for me, in that order. I hope this can help some.
guideman
Posted 3/21/2003 9:38 AM (#64427 - in reply to #64414)

Hi All,
I'll be down there for the Muskies
Inc board meeting. My wife and I are fishing with Tony's crew for a couple days. Then we are on our own until I get a day with Perry Smith.
Perry has promised me a Kentucky muskie, for one on the Big V, so I'm holding him to it.:)
Thank God all you crazies will have gone by then, although I was
hoping to meet the "Spongeman"

Save a few for me guys!:)

Sponge
Posted 3/21/2003 9:53 AM (#64428 - in reply to #64316)

Lol Guidedude, no doubt I'll still be there when you arrive; either on the bottom of the lake or impaled on a deadfall!;) In person I'm not like this; the cyber world has allowed me ignorance to be displayed w/out fear of being poundeded or ostrich-sized...
I am fortunate enough to have a 004(silver/black), a 007(silver/red), and a 007(copper/striped)...wish we could coax Jimmy into producing these things again; I still remember passing up a paper bag of them a few yrs. ago in my haste to leave, and will forever ask passerbyers on occasion to to stop and kick me backside for that act of stupidity!:( they are a daggone cool bait, and I love them so; so much I may not even use them...:O
Musky Fever
Posted 3/21/2003 5:45 PM (#64456 - in reply to #64316)

Just got home from a little shopping spree, bought everything they had in bright orange. LOL
I can't wait to get out on the water!!!!!!!:)

IS IT WEDNESDAY YET??????????????????
Sponge
Posted 3/21/2003 6:39 PM (#64459 - in reply to #64316)

Hee hee heeee...can't BELIEVE you fell for the orange bait trick Ralpster; take plenty of Alka Seltzer!;)
Tony_Grant
Posted 3/21/2003 7:07 PM (#64465 - in reply to #64316)

Hey Guys
Things are looking up for the CAVE next week. Fishing has been slow, I have 6 days in with only 3 fish. But one was a good one, just lucky.
We have moved a fair amount of fish this week, lost 4 fish too. They seem to be hitting the baits very lightly, no crushes yet. Orange and Chartreuse have been the colors that have the most lookers but the takers have been split between orange and chartreuse. Bucher shallow raiders, 007's have been real good too and Mantas have had the most action. We lost one on a firebelly 8'Jake and had another follow on it. We have been blasting the Traps with no luck but look for them to start any day. Moved one fish on a Bait Rigs reaper tail, several have been hooked, caught and broke off by bass fisherman using rubbers. Trolling has sucked, I have over 20 hours in without a rip, but if past years hold true they should start on a troll bite soon as our water nears summer pool.
Water temps are bouncing up and down. I think that is the biggest problem with there slowness, heavy drawdown hurts too, but its about over.
See you all next week......
firstsixfeet
Posted 3/21/2003 7:40 PM (#64468 - in reply to #64316)

Go shallow go big,
go shallow go white, chartreuse or black
go shallow go fast,
go shallow go turbulent,
go shallow go slow,
those would be my choices
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version