Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Thaughts on line counters???

Message Subject: Thaughts on line counters???
The Nate
Posted 3/18/2003 1:37 PM (#64114)
Subject: Thaughts on line counters???

Well I'm on spring break next week and since I'm going back home, I figured I might as well get stuff ready for this upcoming year. I plan on going to bass pro for the spring sale stuff so I was wondering what your thaughts are about a decent line counter at a reasonable price (keeping in mind im a broke college student). I have heard a lot about okuma's and diawas, but is there anythign else?? What do you guys that troll a lot prefer?? Thanks
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/18/2003 2:48 PM (#64122 - in reply to #64114)
Subject: RE: Thaughts on line counters???

Nate I like the LC47's and LC27's for trolling. The step down from that is on sale at a great price. Get over there as soon as you can its going quick.
RK
Posted 3/18/2003 3:00 PM (#64123 - in reply to #64114)

Hiya,
Okumas are pretty nice - seem to have nice smooth drags and the price is pretty reasonable.

Also worth checking out the new Abu linecounters. I have a couple, and they are pretty nifty. Cool thing is, if you already own reels like a 6500C3 you can buy a linecounter kit for it, and convert a garden variety 6500 to a linecounter whenever you want to - all you have to do is take off the palming plate, put the lincounter on, and put the palming plate back on with some longer screws. Took me about 3 minutes without bothering to look at the directions. If you already have some 6500s, the kit is about 45 bucks, so if you only need linecounters once in a while and don't need to drop a wad of cash on a linecounter only reel, it's well worth checking out.

Cheers,
RK
lobi
Posted 3/18/2003 4:39 PM (#64132 - in reply to #64114)

Ditto on the ones on sale at bass pro. The Daiwa accudepth is on sale for $39 ! Even at the regular $49 it is a deal. The main difference between the Accudepth and the higher cost Daiwa 27LC is that it has bushings instead of bearings. If this is a trolling reel you don't need the bearings for long casts and it should last a very long time. I just bought 2 of them myself. I did talk to the Daiwa rep that was at Cabelas' and at Bass Pro's spring fishing classic (yep, I went to both)and went over the details of both reels. He admited on getting a higher commission on the more expensive reel and we both laughed. The accudepth has the same frame, same drag, same gears! I intend to troll for both salmon and mooskies withn them. Almost forgot I do have one Okuma linecounter (model escapes me)and will porbably retire it. Haven't been very happy with it. I'll sell it cheap, ha ha
MuskyPippo
Posted 3/18/2003 5:07 PM (#64133 - in reply to #64132)

I agree with Mike,
The Daiwa is the way to go. All of my trolling rods are GL47LC's and they take a huge beating. I have heard some thing about the drag systems burning out on the Okuma's so I stayed clear. The drag on the Daiwa's a very smooth and very well constructed.

-Phil C.

Edited by MuskyPippo 3/18/2003 6:01 PM
Shep
Posted 3/18/2003 5:55 PM (#64139 - in reply to #64133)

Last year, I bought 2 of the Tidewater LC's for $35. I liked them, and had no problems with them. Last week, I bought 2 of the Accudepth 47's, mostly for salmon fishing, but they will see probably more time trolling baits for ski's. Pretty nice reel for $39. Also bought 6 of the 27's to replace my old LC's for planer boarding eyes. At less than half the price of the Sealines, I figure they'll serve me very well.
ToddM
Posted 3/18/2003 8:37 PM (#64156 - in reply to #64114)

I have okumas and diawas and can recommend both. If you are going to pull a dipsey though, use the diawa.
The Nate
Posted 3/19/2003 11:11 PM (#64303 - in reply to #64156)

Thanks guys for the help. Ill be sure to get to Bass Pro quick and check out those diawas. Thanks again, ill let ya know how they work out!!
Bill Schwartz - Slam
Posted 3/20/2003 9:24 AM (#64331 - in reply to #64303)

If your running multipal rod's the line counters are a great thing to have to keep track how far back each line is. I run Diawa GL47LC's and realy like them for Salmon fishing where I run up to 12 to 15 rods. For musky fishing, at most I'll run 4 rods and I like the Penn 209's and just count the level wind passes to keep track how far back you are. 1 pass is 7 feet of line.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)