Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Weird things while fishing???

Message Subject: Weird things while fishing???
BTPF
Posted 3/17/2003 12:49 PM (#63998)
Subject: Weird things while fishing???

Just a question for some of you.

What is the weirdest thing that has happened to you while musky fishing?

Last summer while trolling a flowage in Wiscsonsin my buddies and I were drinking beer and looking forward as we came by an Island that has some big muskies around it when all of a sudden a potential state record channel cat around 45-50 inches came out of the water like a dolphin only feet in front of us. The Catfish came out of the water so high that we thought it was going to land in the boat. The catfish almost hit my buddies trolling motor on the way down. We all yelled and my buddy in the front of the boat high tailed it back to the stern.

We sat in amazement wondering why a catfish would do this? We could only of imagine trying to explain to people how the state record channel cat was caught. Telling people it just "Jumped into the boat"

Also 2 years ago while fishing in the spring I swear I had a follow from a
10-15 pound sheepshead.

Im sure some of you have had some really weird things happen while fishing.
Sponge
Posted 3/17/2003 2:30 PM (#64008 - in reply to #63998)
Subject: RE: Weird things while fishing???

Brother and I were fishing one May night 3 years ago around 3 small islands...it was about 9:30 and the lake was fairly quiet. I was throwing a Hawg Wobbler trying for the rare 'ski, brother was chucking a Thunderstick for rockfish. We could hear a boat pretty far away screaming down the lake...the whining engine was getting closer...and closer; I looked over me shoulder and it was coming straight toward us. I dropped me rod and grabbed a spotlight, telling bro to get ready for a swim...about 30 yards from us the boat swerved away from us...I heard a yell...then clanging,clashing and a heckacious amount of smoke, then it was dead still. Dudes clipped the other end of the small island in about 6-8" of h2o, effectively ending their night of fishing, and tore the crap out of their motor; they were cussing up a storm, and limped off into the night utilizing their trolling motor...a classic case of STUPIDITY and not knowing the area or what they were doing. Had they not slowed down a tad, no doubt it could have been bad for all concerned. If I could have seen the looks on their faces, PRICELESS...
Ranger
Posted 3/17/2003 3:11 PM (#64009 - in reply to #64008)

This was hunting, but I'll post it anyway, maybe somebody has an explanation....

I was sitting quiet in a ground blind with my back agaisnt a tree and my right foot flat on the trunk of another tree (10" pine). As I sat there, all of a sudden I could feel with my foot that something was wacking on the pine tree. Like hitting it with a 2x2 or something: wack wack wack --- pause --- wack wack wack --- pause --- wack wack wack. I couldn't hear a thing, wind was very calm and no woodpecker or anything, I was looking. I couldn't hear anything, just feel it in my foot.

I spent a lot of time in the woods, back when I use to hunt more. Usually alone - and I don't get freaked out by much of anything. Sat many, many hours with my foot on that pine tree (shot 3 bucks from that spot). But this was very strange.

In the end, I decided elves were working around the roots or something like that.
Ranger
Posted 3/17/2003 3:20 PM (#64010 - in reply to #64009)

Fishing - I watched a couple drunk guys hopelessly try to launch a 12' boat from the back of their pickup. See, the boat was jammed in the truck bed, probably from the unrestrained motor that had been bouncing around. They couldn't quickly jerk the boat out of the truck. So the idiots backed way down into the water and tied a rope from the boat to the furthest post on the dock. Then they climbed back in the truck and gunned up the ramp. I suppose they were trying to drop the boat in the water, but the rope was too long and the whole affair was jerked out of the the truck bed and it dropped, including the lower unit of the motor, right smack on the cement. Not one bit of the boat was in the water.

Funnier than hell.
Frogger
Posted 3/17/2003 3:36 PM (#64012 - in reply to #63998)

Last year before the opener of Musky season a buddy and I went for some smallie action. The morning we headed for the lake it was foggy, rainy, and a bit cooler then what it had been. The water was about 60 to 62 degrees as it had been pretty warm for a few days prior to our trip.

I tied on my favorite jig and twister tail and proceed to cast it out and retrieve it in hopes of a violet strike from a fierce smallie. No luck, so after a while I decided to slow down my presentation because of the cold front that had moved in and slowed down the action. So now I was casting out, letting the jig hit the bottom and slowly jigging it back to the boat. The weird thing about this was that the fog was really getting thicker and coming down on top of us, only about ten feet above the water. Not the usual fog off of the water, but instead it was on top of us! When I would cast out my jig I kept my bail open so that the jig would drop all the way to the bottom before I would close the bail and start my retrieve. What was happening however was that all of my line would go straight up into the fog! After a while I decided to see just how much of my six pound test would make its way up into the heavens. I cast out and left my bail open until all of the line came off of my reel. It was pretty weird seeing my line go straight up into the fog and disappear and just keep going and going as if I was flying a kite instead of fishing! I guess it was just the fact that the warm air was rising off of the water and "pushing" my line up. Along with the low ceiling of fog that was isolating the warm air. Pretty cool.
crazycanuck
Posted 3/17/2003 8:47 PM (#64031 - in reply to #63998)

I was slowly cruising around an island to check it out before fishing it. As I came around a point, I saw what appeared to be a muskrat swimming along the surface of the water. The closer I got to it, the less it looked like a muskrat. When I got within about 20 feet of the creature, I finally realized what it was. It was a muskie swimming with the top of its head and eyes above water, exactly like a crocodile would. I watched it do this for about 30 seconds, then it slowly submersed and was never seen again. I won't even attempt to explain this behaviour. I fished the area for about an hour and couldn't catch that fish.

On another occasion, I was casting for smallies with a friend. My friend reeled in and set his rod down with his lure hanging about 6" above the surface of the water. A few minutes later we heard a splash and a rod banging against the side of the boat. It was my friend's rod that had the lure hanging above the water. A smallie had jumped out of the water right beside the boat in order to get that lure that was 6" above the surface of the water.

Keep your hooks sharp.
Shep
Posted 3/17/2003 9:25 PM (#64036 - in reply to #64031)

I didn't actually see this, but last year at the Bone outing, Jennell Jackley changed a smallie into a musky! Strange voodoo from that one, I tell ya.
buddysolberg
Posted 3/17/2003 10:00 PM (#64039 - in reply to #63998)

On Star Lake we watched an eagle try to catch a baby loon. The two adults loons were going crazy trying to protect the baby loon. After an hour the eagle caught it and took off with it.

Two years ago I was drifting along a shoreline for walleyes dragging a couple live bait rigs. There was a boat up ahead anchored out in front of one of the few cottages on that shoreline. As I drifted to within 30 ft. trying to figure out why this boat was anchored out there, a pretty young thing sat up. She was sunbathing topless.

Buddy
Musky Wishin
Posted 3/17/2003 10:33 PM (#64046 - in reply to #63998)

Last Fall on the way to the Cass Lake outing we stopped off to fish Lake Plantagenet. We weren't having much luck catching ski's but I did have a persistent follower. The only problem was it was a loon. This loon would start to follow about mid-cast a foot behind the lure and would continue through multiple figure-eights. I wish I had this one on video!

Another time several years ago we were sucker fishing for Northerns and my brother-in-law was letting his sucker drag on top of the water as we slowly trolled to another spot. A seagull grabbed the sucker and the hook got caught in it's beak. It ended up a beakless seagull.
sworrall
Posted 3/17/2003 10:37 PM (#64047 - in reply to #64039)

I was fishing Pelican with Brad Lohaus ( then with the Bucks) when his muskie line rose after his cast all the way out of site as he spooled it off by hand. He reeled the line in out of the sky, literally, and I fired up the rig and got the heck off the water. there was a dandy of an electrical storm directly afterwards.
ToddM
Posted 3/18/2003 8:46 PM (#64158 - in reply to #63998)

Wierdest thing was one morning on the chip with my dad. We seen this animal, looked like a small bear I the water from where we were at. Upon getting closer it was a big black dog and it appeared to be in distress. We went over and sure enough, it was stuck and could not get back out of the water because it was between two laydowns and the shore was steep. That's when we noticed the dog was very old, had three legs and was pretty much blind. We got the dog in my boat and drove to some houses where we ended up finding the owner. Turned out she was 17 years old. Wonder if her name was lucky?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)