Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fishing grips?

Message Subject: Fishing grips?
achotrod
Posted 6/10/2014 6:52 PM (#714984)
Subject: Fishing grips?

Whats your take on using fishing grips? Ive recently started kayak fishing for Muskie and pike and have lost a couple trying to get the net ready. Its not so easy to do on a kayak with a big muskie net and a decent fish on. So I picked up these grips to make life much easier. I dont plan on hanging the fish vertically to weigh them(would be impossible in a yak anyways) but just to safely grip them snap a pic and release without getting my fingers ripped up or losing a fish.
https://www.lucidfishing.com/
horsehunter
Posted 6/10/2014 7:17 PM (#714986 - in reply to #714984)
Subject: Re: Fishing grips?

I used a release gaff for years and if used properly ( no lifting fish ) to control a fish for hook removal they may be easier on a fish. They were easier on a fish than the old knotted mesh nets. Easier to deal with a fish when alone. Use a gaff and make a small hole rather than a cheap thin metal gripper that will tear skin ( I tried one ) or get a good gripper.
achotrod
Posted 6/10/2014 7:43 PM (#714990 - in reply to #714984)

I looked at most others the big box stores carry and most are complete junk. This isnt cheaply made or thin, very high quality from what I can tell. Closest thing to a Boga I have seen.
bigfoot
Posted 6/10/2014 8:37 PM (#715002 - in reply to #714984)
Subject: RE: Fishing grips?

I wouldn't recommend using them, here's a video why. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZMyJkmo8vA

Great way to tie yourself to a muskie, hooks in you and him. thats why i wont go kayak musky fishing alone.

even without getting yourself hooked, the fish can really beat himself up pretty good when attached to the grippers.
achotrod
Posted 6/10/2014 9:05 PM (#715011 - in reply to #714984)

Ouch. Im still doing it though. If I was smart I wouldn't be fishing for them in a Kayak in the first place.

Just trying to decide if the grips are safer /easier then a net for me and the fish. I can see the exact same thing happening in the net maybe worse if you get tangled in it alone. I do keep a knipex with me at all times. Not just for the fish but that exact reason as well.

Most the time I do have a wing man and we work together when one of us gets something on, but I have lost the largest pike of the year already since he was to far away.

coltboy75
Posted 6/11/2014 7:48 AM (#715034 - in reply to #715011)

I have used these for a year now and love them:

http://www.basspro.com/The-Fish-Grip/product/12082905322783/
Pepper
Posted 6/11/2014 9:16 AM (#715048 - in reply to #714984)

Good set of vise grips would do the same job
Zib
Posted 6/11/2014 9:47 AM (#715054 - in reply to #714984)

They are ok to use IMO as long as you don't lift the fish out of the water with them. I've used the Rapala gripper over the side of the boat with the fish in the net to remove hooks. The Rapala gripper doesn't put holes in the fish's mouth but it can be hard to attach them if the fish won't open their mouth.

I've seen on a fishing show where someone added round plastic or rubber balls to the end of the grippers so that it would prevent causing holes in the fish's mouth.

achotrod
Posted 6/11/2014 11:50 AM (#715068 - in reply to #714984)

Ha I bet a set of Vise grips would work.
TheWoz
Posted 6/18/2014 11:54 AM (#716470 - in reply to #715002)

bigfoot - 6/10/2014 8:37 PM

I wouldn't recommend using them, here's a video why. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZMyJkmo8vA

Having seen this discussion come up a ton of times before. Vise grips, the plastic fish grip, in regards to damaging the fish all have one very common feature...they do not swivel and move with the fishes movement.

It's important for a grip to have multiple features...a rotating head that will barrel roll with the fish without friction, and a spring in the handle that will move forwards and backwards with the fish.

The plastic fish grip gets used by a lot of ocean kayak guys but they are keeping most of their catches to eat. So tearing their jaws up isnt really a concern for them. When it comes to musky though doing as little damage as possible is the goal even after we jam a few sets of trebles in their mouth

We actually created a video to demonstrate those features while flyfishing for musky just to show really how well then can be used. NOTE: I wouldn't say let the fish dangle from their jaw...ever...no matter the grip. Unless its a tarpon....their jaws are thicker than a roll of quarters haha. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DP_QT44F8

Brookfield Angler did a cool article reviewing most grips against eachother. 
http://www.brookfieldangler.com/2013/12/fishing-grips-are-they-really-that-bad.html
achotrod
Posted 6/18/2014 2:48 PM (#716511 - in reply to #714984)

Hey Woz! Nice to see you over here! I used them already they worked great and did 0 damage to the fish as you know. I did not try and hold/weigh it vertically though and always supported the fish. Fine tool to have on a yak or boat IMO after testing them. I also cant see how the Lucids would ever fail on you.

Going yak fishing now with them!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)