Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Green Bay muskies

Message Subject: Green Bay muskies

Posted 3/16/2003 8:07 PM (#63915)
Subject: Green Bay muskies

Does anybody know if the WISC. DNR is stocking Green Bay? Is there a fishable population yet? Which strain would be best suited for the cooler waters of the Bay? How aggressive is this stocking effort? Thanks
h2os2t
Posted 3/16/2003 9:08 PM (#63928 - in reply to #63915)
Subject: RE: Green Bay muskies

Spotted strain (native to the bay) has been planted every year there for 15 to 20 years but the DNR does not know alot about there travels (it would be a great place for a tracking study). Sturgon Bay area has some pigs, and the river in Green Bay also. Sorry do not know much more, the people that know do not say much. I think they are trying to keep it a secret. I am doing a little checking heard of a few people that have done well just have to get their names and make them talk (LOL)

Roger
sworrall
Posted 3/16/2003 9:15 PM (#63930 - in reply to #63928)

The Green Bay stocking efforts have been pretty successful. The fishery there can be incredible, or terrible, depending on the conditions and location of the forage and therefore, the muskies. Fall and Spring are good in the River. The fish there glow in the dark, but get big.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/17/2003 10:09 AM (#63985 - in reply to #63915)

Talk to Jo Musky & Muskyone. Both have a wealth of knowledge about the area stocking efforts and the current state of  thew Muskie fishery in NE WI.

Al Warner

The Handyman
Posted 3/17/2003 1:39 PM (#64005 - in reply to #63915)

The musky`s are reared and raised in WildRose Wi. from a brood stock lake that is getting pounded by anglers that are not even allowed to musky fish that lake. 51" found dead this fall,sucker hoooked! Wardens can`t catch everyone though.This program has already been scaled down and might possibly end due to DNR cut-backs and money and lake problems.I hope not,and for eveyones sake,those who know this lake lets not harass these brood stock fish or if you are there and see someone else doing so, please let them know about it!This can be an outstanding program for the great lakes,lets hope it continues! Handy
Mark H.
Posted 3/17/2003 3:29 PM (#64011 - in reply to #63915)

Handy,

Any chance that private funds could help keep this going? I'm sure there are several musky clubs that would be glad to contribute funding or have fund raising efforts to keep it going.

If this continues to be nurtured it may very likely provide Wisconsin a trophey fishery like is has never seen. Humungo large body of water with lots of oily baitfish swimming around...Sounds like musky heaven to me.

This would be a good subject for area musky clubs to stay on top of.

sworrall
Posted 3/17/2003 10:14 PM (#64043 - in reply to #64011)

Good question, Mark. In the past, the State has turned down private funds/donations for DNR projects, maybe now that has changed. I will ask Keith to check with his Boss in Woodruff to see if there is any possibility the sportsman can get involved.
Jomusky
Posted 3/17/2003 10:49 PM (#64049 - in reply to #64043)

The spotted musky program has been funded by Dave's Musky Club in Kaukauna since it's inception. They have been purchasing all of the feed minows, which can exceed $10,000 per year. The driving force from Dave's has been Gene Allen. I can't say enough about his efforts!

This last year the Wild Rose hatchery had a bumper crop and Gene asked other clubs if they could help out. C & R Musky Club, Winnebagoland, and Packerland all donated to the musky feed program. The feed program is unique in that Gene writes the checks out directly to the minnow suppliers and not to the DNR. So many spotted were hatched that some had to be raised in Woodruff.

I believe the total count for fish planted in the Winnebago Chain was around 10,000 fish. This was the first year for this system. I'm not sure about how many in Green Bay.

Green Bay has been producing some very nice fish, most coming from the river. However, the water is extremely dark, your bait vanishes at 6".

I sure hope that the DNR budget problems don't interfere with this program. I was told by Scott Hassett (DNR Secretary) that if they don't get the license increase, stocking will take a 30% cut. I would like to recommend that all Wisconsin Sportsmen support the license increases. The proposed $30 fishing license is only the price of 3 musky baits or even 1 expensive one. This is a small price to pay to keep OUR DNR's programs intact.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)