Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Double Show Girl Issue

Message Subject: Double Show Girl Issue
Juhas
Posted 6/2/2014 5:26 AM (#713635)
Subject: Double Show Girl Issue

Looking for tuning tip. Blades on double show girls not engaging on cast. Also when bait ticks weed blades stop and will not engage. Checked clevis to see if they are perpendicular to shaft and free. Also made sure reel was engaged on cast as bait hit water.
Chris
Zinox
Posted 6/2/2014 5:49 AM (#713636 - in reply to #713635)
Subject: Re: Double Show Girl Issue

Don't have experience with the showgirls but I would normally start the retrieve with 2-3 pumps hard on the reel when fishing bucktails, just a habit know, works great.
Propster
Posted 6/2/2014 9:10 AM (#713653 - in reply to #713635)

Check to see if the logo sticker on the one blade is peeling up on an edge. If so take it off. That's the biggest cause of any blades on any bucktail not spinning is after awhile the label peels ups
Mojo1269
Posted 6/2/2014 10:00 AM (#713659 - in reply to #713635)

This has happened with every double Showgirl I have ever owned. There is a technique that involves either pumping the rod tip with a snap or if you have a high speeed reel give the handle a fast snap that I find corrects this within the first 4 feet of the retrieve when it happens. It also helps to use your thumb to stop the cast before it hits the water (like you would with a bull dawg) to ensure the biait is stretched out properly.
Nershi
Posted 6/2/2014 12:58 PM (#713698 - in reply to #713635)

I have had the same problem with my showgirls. I have tried tweaking them in several ways with no luck. I think the issue is the blades they use are too light. Those first few feet of a cast can be crucial if casting to a weedline, shoreline etc and very frustrating having to rip the bait multiple times to get them to open up.
dtaijo174
Posted 6/2/2014 3:31 PM (#713726 - in reply to #713635)

I haven't found a double 8 bait that does not do this eventually. Follow the above tips. If those don't work or it progresses worse, flatten the back of the blade with a pair of pliers. basically you are reducing the cup in the blade.
Muskers
Posted 6/2/2014 3:55 PM (#713731 - in reply to #713635)

I use suicide baits and don't tend to have this issue. They are a little heavier blades and seem to have a slight different cup in the blade itself and start right away. If anyone is interested in a picture PM me and I can send you some. I can also give you Dons (the owner) contact to custom order some. They will make any combination you can think of!
lungewacko
Posted 6/2/2014 5:19 PM (#713745 - in reply to #713635)
Subject: RE: Double Show Girl Issue

Get some .051 bucktail wire so you can rebuild them, first squeeze the clevises so they are straight out and not pointing up a little, then order some .025 Colorado blades from Moores Lures, the blades out of the package are .018, that's too light.
I have rebuild mine and they spin every time once they hit the water.
Hope this helps.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 6/2/2014 6:10 PM (#713748 - in reply to #713635)

Try this. Line the clevis up and make sure its perpendicular. Now, squeeze them closer together so the half circle isn't so wide. If that doesn't help then take the eye of the bait and bend it to the side just alittle bit.
Zib
Posted 6/2/2014 7:00 PM (#713755 - in reply to #713635)
Subject: RE: Double Show Girl Issue

Other than the other tips given you can also rebuild them & add an extra bead to keep the blades further from the skirt. When the blades are too close they get caught up on the skirt when it is first cast out. I would add a solid bead right below the clevis.

EsoxAddiction
Posted 6/2/2014 7:09 PM (#713756 - in reply to #713635)

If your going to rebuild it, then use some smaller diameter wire, maybe just a step thinner. less friction to keep them moving easier.

Not to start a brand argument, but this is the exact reason I switched to Esox Assault bucktails. I had showgirls that just wouldn't spin and any amount of tweaking really never helped. I switched baits and never had that issue again. Now if they get smacked by enough fish, any bucktail is going to need some tweaking to get it running again. to each their own, just thought I would share my experience.
pklingen
Posted 6/2/2014 7:42 PM (#713774 - in reply to #713635)

i have had the same problem. i fixed mine by taking my thumb and putting it on the cupped side of the blade and then with your index finger on the othe side at the same time bend them a little to give it more of a cup. worked everytime for me with a little patience and consecutive casts to get it right. those blades they use seem to be sub-standard thickness and bend easily.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)