Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Downriggers for Precision Trolling?

Message Subject: Downriggers for Precision Trolling?
Ranger
Posted 3/14/2003 2:57 PM (#63747)
Subject: Downriggers for Precision Trolling?

Ok, I haven't seen much about this topic, so let me ask.....

do any of youse guys/gals use downriggers? I became very interested when I read a recent In Fisherman article . The article gave me the idea that I could use downriggers to very precisely run my baits along the old river bank that meanders though a local flowage. I think the mid-summer muskies (and beastie Nordern Pike) stay pretty glued to these spots on spots on spots. I see I can obtain clamp-on riggers for my little boat for under $100 each. (Won't I look cool?)

Yo, Steve Hulbert - are downriggers part of your trolling strategy this summer?

Thanks folks.
Webguy
Posted 3/14/2003 3:44 PM (#63754 - in reply to #63747)
Subject: RE: Downriggers for Precision Trolling?

The first that comes to mind is the fact that most muskie baits create a lot of drag and it doesn't take much to swing a 10lb. ball back. You're downrigger might say the ball is at 20 feet but with a big swing you loose acccuracy. The line release is another issue, pads suck but the offshores may cut it. Downriggers are great for smaller baits but I doubt they're better than lead-core for many "muskie" baits. Just my 2 cents, I use them for trout and walleye only but I'd like to hear someone convince me otherwise, maybe I'd try it.
Muskmelon
Posted 3/14/2003 5:32 PM (#63764 - in reply to #63747)
Subject: RE: Downriggers for Precision Trolling?

My old clamp on "downrigger" now acts as a life jacket hanger in the garage. For ease of use and ability to run a heavier ball, you will want a full size rigger. I have 4 Cannon HP's that are very nice, the Easy Troll is a stretch with a ball over 10 lbs. Several other major brands also nice (Penn, Big Jon, Walker etc.) A pound ball on wire line is far superior to a light weight downrigger in terms of both depth control and ease of use, in my opinion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)