Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> How often do you replace?

Message Subject: How often do you replace?
Sunshine
Posted 5/7/2014 6:14 AM (#710436)
Subject: How often do you replace?

The thread on line got me thinking. If you are using a 100lb or 80lb super line, how often are you replacing it? Are many reversing the line to another spool to get extra time out if it? Old enough to remember having to replace musky line at least once a year and mono twice a year. What signs do you look for before replacing? I don't think that color bleaching out is a good indicator. What are your thoughts?
Mojo1269
Posted 5/7/2014 6:20 AM (#710438 - in reply to #710436)
Subject: Re: How often do you replace?

All line gets replaced once a year. If its been barley used I may recyle the line onto another reel but the rods that see use everytime I am out get new line annually. 1200 yards of Masterbraid is under $150.00..cheap compared to evrything else we bleed money on...
muskie! nut
Posted 5/7/2014 9:14 AM (#710468 - in reply to #710436)
Subject: RE: How often do you replace?

Sunshine - 5/7/2014 6:14 AM

how often are you replacing it?

How often are you using it??? Never if you fish a day or two a year and biannually or more if you fish everyday.
Minnows 2 Muskies
Posted 5/7/2014 9:58 AM (#710479 - in reply to #710436)

When mine starts "fraying" or showing wear. I start cutting line till i get to nice line again. Then, since I live in mn. I tie my line to a shovel and drive acroos the ice with my atv and swap ends. This way you can get 2x's the use out of a spool.
comet Ted
Posted 5/7/2014 4:45 PM (#710546 - in reply to #710436)
Subject: RE: How often do you replace?

What muskie nut said. Also..I've tried 80# Suffix Performance and the 832 Braid these last 2 seasons and it is a lot more durable than what I was using before. And doesnt seem to soak up the water like the other stuff.
sixdeucers
Posted 5/7/2014 6:16 PM (#710567 - in reply to #710438)

Mojo, where are you getting bulk spools?
muskyhunter47
Posted 5/7/2014 6:21 PM (#710568 - in reply to #710567)

You can get bulk line at Amazon. Com
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 5/8/2014 12:58 AM (#710633 - in reply to #710568)

When I get to fish a lot I sometimes will only use line for a month to two months tops. I also buy bulk spools and use 100 yrds at a time. After one or two months I will go in my yard and walk it out, cut it, and tie my backing to the old end and reel it back up. It's all about efficiency. Try not to cut much line off, maybe a few feet here and there but you want your spool to stay full to the rim!
ShutUpNFish
Posted 5/8/2014 7:20 AM (#710646 - in reply to #710436)

Spectra braids will last you a long time surprisingly...Changing out the line within the year or even annually, when it comes to braid is simply wasting money IMO. This "often changing" is a mentality many have from the old "mono" days and is unnecessary IMO. To each his own, but a quality braided line should last you up to 5 years if properly maintained, cared for and spool reversed. This said, I do not fish just one or two outfits all the time either....I probably have up to 12 different trolling set-ups and 6 casting set-ups; so not all these are being used all the time thats spent on the water.
Sunshine
Posted 5/8/2014 9:22 AM (#710674 - in reply to #710646)

ShutUpNFish - 5/8/2014 7:20 AM

Spectra braids will last you a long time surprisingly...Changing out the line within the year or even annually, when it comes to braid is simply wasting money IMO. This often changing is a mentality many have from the old "mono" days and is unnecessary IMO. To each his own, but a quality braided line should last you up to 5 years if properly maintained and spool reversed. This said, I do not fish just one or two outfits either....I probably have up to 12 different trolling set-ups and 6 casting set-ups; so not all these are being used all the time spent on the water.

I totally agree
MartinTD
Posted 5/8/2014 9:53 AM (#710688 - in reply to #710646)

Spectra braids will last you a long time surprisingly...Changing out the line within the year or even annually, when it comes to braid is simply wasting money IMO. This often changing is a mentality many have from the old "mono" days and is unnecessary IMO. To each his own, but a quality braided line should last you up to 5 years if properly maintained and spool reversed. This said, I do not fish just one or two outfits either....I probably have up to 12 different trolling set-ups and 6 casting set-ups; so not all these are being used all the time spent on the water.

C'mon man, 5 years? Lol. Cast much?
Mojo1269
Posted 5/8/2014 9:59 AM (#710692 - in reply to #710688)

I thouight I poseted this but maybe it got deleted?? or I may be losing it(likely)...I get my stuff in bulk from Meltons, Capt Harry's or Charkbait....
ShutUpNFish
Posted 5/8/2014 10:15 AM (#710697 - in reply to #710688)

MartinTD - 5/8/2014 9:53 AM

C'mon man, 5 years? Lol. Cast much?

Ummmm no I don't cast near as much as I troll...but when casting, you will notice most of your line wear happens in just a few consistent places...I do cut back on the line often....thats what I consider "proper maintenance"....changing the entire spool once or twice a year on all casting set-ups is STILL unnecessary IMO. Unless all you do is cast and all you cast with is one set-up 3/4 days a week...THEN, maybe then I'd say okay we need a fresh spool of line because the line is getting low on the reel....:-)
MartinTD
Posted 5/8/2014 10:35 AM (#710705 - in reply to #710436)

Too many variables I guess. Line is cheap compared to other things in this sport, re-spool when you feel it's necessary.

Kinda like fluoro leaders I suppose. Some people change them at the slightest nick, some people believe they are good for a few more fish.
jano
Posted 5/8/2014 5:03 PM (#710772 - in reply to #710436)

3 to 4 years,it depend
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/8/2014 5:37 PM (#710777 - in reply to #710772)

Twice a year for me but I do run it backward onto another reel. More often if needed. I start by scrapping the line from my smallest reels and running on line from my second smallest and so on all the way up to my 700te and big line counters. I fill them all the way up (no backing, just electrical tape) that way I can scrap what is suspect and the rest is in good shape. In essence, I get 1-1/2 years out of 250 yards.

Some people change their tires on their car every 25k and some people wait until they are bald. I like to rotate often and change out before I expect any issues.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)