Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> temp speed probe?

Reply New post
Message Subject: temp speed probe?
BruceKY
Posted 3/3/2003 11:58 AM (#62216)
Subject: temp speed probe?

I want to install a Lowrance temp and speed sensor on a Ranger R70. I have two problems related to the contour of the transom.

First, the shape of the transom where I want to install the unit forces it to be at almost a thirty-degree angle to the centerline of the boat. Will this give me false speed-readings? Theoretically the speed would read slower than actual. I plan on using it at trolling speeds. I can use the primary speedometer with a pickup on the motor for high-end speeds. Will the angle damage the unit? If I need to I could make a custom wedge to straighten everything out.

Second, Is it OK to drill four holes in this area below the waterline? Because of the curved shape in this area of the transom I doubt there is much behind the outer layer of fiberglass. Is it OK to drill through? Can I keep it sealed with silicone? Is there some sort of adhesive for this application rather than screws?

Anyone have similar experience with mounting accessories on the transom of a bass boat?

Thanks,
Bruce
ToddM
Posted 3/3/2003 9:59 PM (#62279 - in reply to #62216)
Subject: RE: temp speed probe?

Bruce, I installed one on my aluminum boat. I can'r help you with the contours, I am not familiar with that but silicone will seal it ok. It's definitely a bit nervewracking drilling holes in your hull but it's worth it.
MuskyPippo
Posted 3/6/2003 6:14 PM (#62695 - in reply to #62279)

Bruce,
If you are interested I beleive I have a extra speed and temp guage in the package at my house...If you want to I can check the model number and possibly swap it for a couple lures....Lemme know if you're interested.

-Phil Cali
BruceKY
Posted 3/7/2003 11:06 AM (#62808 - in reply to #62695)

Phil

Thanks for the offer. It would have saved me some cash. I have already purchased the sensor.

I am still looking at the back of the boat and scratching my head trying to figure out the best way to install this thing. I will probably put it on this weekend.

Bruce
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)